Alert: Round 1, Group D, 2014 World Cup Qualifier: Netherlands vs Romania - P/I/P Match Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by TFC Ajax, Oct 13, 2012.

1. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    VS​
    [​IMG]
    Discuss:​

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1-0 match but I can't figure out which team will get the goal.;)

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lens in current form is a better striker than Huntelaar. That's all.

4. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In this game I would play:
    Stek​
    van Rhijn - Heitinga - Martins-Indi - Urby​
    Clasie​
    Afellay - - - - - VdV​
    Narsingh - van Persie - Lens ​
    Sub in Elia for Lens or van Persie and move Lens to CF. Sub in Douglas for Urby if we find ourselves with a comfortable lead. I really wish that Anita would get called up and played at DM allowing Clasie to occupy one of the more advanced roles. He would offer a great combination of creativity metal, and handling speed in that AM spot that no other midfielder that we currently have can offer. ​

5. Why not put van Persie on 10 now the Wes is out, and Huntelaar up front?

By the way, I read on the Belgian public television teletext a few days ago that van Gaal had said that he would choose the Anderlecht defender Bram Nuytinck, if he hadnot been necessary for the young Orange squad, instead of Douglas.

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can't remember a single time when this worked. van Persie out wide w/ Huntelaar up front has worked, but not when he played behind him. Also there is no #10 spot in van Gaal's system and RvP doesn't fit the role of a wide midfielder

That's good to hear

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The only reason Douglas is called up is to save the KNVB blushes. The KNVB aided Douglas in his naturalisation procedure, and what's his name the former hockey coach was even at Douglas' actual naturalisation ceremony. But now when push comes to shove, they've got a coach who rates 'Dutch' defenders (read: defenders who don't necessarily need to be good at defending).

I'm pretty certain Douglas will never get a minute's playing time as long as Van Gaal is manager. Not even if Douglas joins a top side in top European league next season and does well there. But again, as the KNVB has encouraged Douglas to get a Dutch passport, it would be downright embarrassing if they didn't even call him up.

8. Mmmm, are you trying to make me believe that it was the KNVB that drove him into becoming Dutch and not the prospect of getting into the EPL, where he needs to get a high score of matches for the Brasil team that he isnot likely to get.....mmmmm... given the choice between those two options ...mmmmm hard ..hard:laugh:..not really

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is good news for Douglas, considering you practically always turn out to be wrong.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I said they actively helped him in his naturalisation procedure. Read into that what you want but they're not helping out Everton at Heracles (who's also started the procedure) are they.

What I find hilarious about accusations that Douglas wants to play for Holland only to better his chances in his club career, is the assumption that 'real' Dutch players play for Holland purely out of pride. Yes them real Dutch footballers, they're all fine upstanding citizens who never think of themselves. They'd pay to play for their country even if they'd been born in Luxembourg. Such is the good-hearted, selfless nature of the likes of Van der Vaart and Sneijder.

11. Do you ever read your own posts? You almost always spin out of control with accusations and invented facts that I seriously wonder what you are smoking!
    Could it be you who is the main factor in the way people treat you in reactions on your posts?
    You manage to antagonise people all over the globe and that's a hell of an achievement.

JC-14 repped this.
  12. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I reacted to your post that is all. What facts did I invent in it? How did I spin out of control? It's true that the KNVB helped Douglas. It's also true that they're not helping Everton. Like I said, read into it what you want. Considering that Van Gaal has said on more than one occassion that he does not really rate Douglas yet still calls him up, I think it is fair to assume that he's being called up not because Van Gaal wants him but because the KNVB feels some class of moral obligation after theya actively helped him. That might not be true, and feel free to disagree, I'm just putting an argument out there.

And I think it's important to put the popular 'Douglas only wants to play for Holland out of self interest' argument into perspective, in general. A lot is said about Douglas on this forum, and not a lot of it is fair. And what bothers me most about all that is said is the assumption that real Dutch players are moral betters to Douglas. It is an assumption that is based on onderbuikgevoel and I despise that more than anything.

The vast majority of my posts are football and footballer related. In turn I get called a liar and my club is bad-mouthed for reasons that have nothing to do with football whatsoever. Yet I'm the bad guy here? I'm not asking you to like my posts. Or even read them. I totally ignore some posters on the Dutch board, but not you I might add. Anyway as long as I follow forum regulations I don't know what you're getting so annoyed about to be honest.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The 'you're antagonising the world' comment is pretty interesting by the way. In my world most people would agree with me. That is the Twente world. Rather than get annoyed about hearing a point of view that you're not used to hearing, you could try and find it interesting.

14. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Regardless of these 'political' issues involving the naturalization process, it would be moronic for Van Gaal not to try Douglas at this point. The key word here is 'try' -- he may or may not be the long term solution, but this is a great time to test options. It is pretty obvious that neither Heitinga nor Vlaar has the quality to take Oranje to the next level, not when we're 2 weeks away from a major tourney. Heitinga and Vlaar have got plenty of chances to prove themselves, but they haven't been able to capitalize this. I don't think they will be missed. I am pretty high on Martins Indi, (and maybe De Vrij), not too confident on Viergiever and Nuytinck. I definitely don't want to see Mathijsen again. He's been an excellent servant for the Dutch NT, but it's time for him to step aside and give the youngsters the center stage.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Nuytinck was terrible again last night. I just can't see the potential. BMI's great.

We'll see how it turns out tonight. The Romanians apparently have proper wingers. Oh dear.

16. Try this for an invented "fact":
    The only reason Douglas is called up is to save the KNVB blushes. The KNVB aided Douglas in his naturalisation procedure, and what's his name the former hockey coach was even at Douglas' actual naturalisation ceremony. But now when push comes to shove, they've got a coach who rates 'Dutch' defenders (read: defenders who don't necessarily need to be good at defending).
    You seem to live in a parallel world where everybody hates FC Twente and are eager to put it and its players down.
    You almost always go hyperbolic in your reactions and posts. When you post an opinion you donot stop at that but complement it with an invented fact of which you seem to think it underscores your opinion.
    You donot like Schaken as a player, well fair enough, because you are entitled to that. But then you go hyperbolic by claiming that he isnot even appreciated by Feyenoord fans and the list is endless.
    And when you stand corrected your reaction on that is even more hyperbolic.

17. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lineup:
    1: Steke
    2: van Rhijn
    3: Heitinga
    4: Vlaar
    5: BMI
    6: NdJ
    7: Narsingh
    8: Strootman (C)
    9: RvP
    10: VdV
    11: Lens

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bit nervous for this one. Pundit put it right IMO. Dutch NT makes many mistakes avery game and the question is when we are going to be punished for them. This game?

Anthem time.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Romania is pushing the title of best anthem of Europe IMO. Their stadium also looks really good.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've already admitted it's an assunption and I've already explained why I think it's a fair assumption. The Dutch FA doesn't actively help Brazilians to get naturalised unless they have a reason for it, can we at least agree on that? To then subsequently see Van Gaal call Douglas up days after he has publicly stated that he doesn't rate him, well, if there's an alternative explanation I'd to like hear your suggestions. This isn't about Twente at all, Douglas is gone next season and I'd rather not see him called up this season as club interests weigh about a billion times heavier for me than the national team. To you I guess it is a Twente thing, I can't help that can I.

Even Feyenoord forums slag off Schaken and you know it (or don't you?). Just like Twente forums occassionally slag off Douglas, by the way. I've more than once said I do rate several Feyenoord players, do you simply fail to notice that or do you really need me to rate all 21 one of them? I don't even rate half the Twente squad!!!!!

What is truly baffling to me is how many miles apart the BigSoccer forum and Dutch football forums are. If you get upset at what I post I guess you never venture on those Dutch forums.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I've already admitted it's an assunption and I've already explained why I think it's a fair assumption. The Dutch FA doesn't actively help Brazilians to get naturalised unless they have a reason for it, can we at least agree on that? To then subsequently see Van Gaal call Douglas up days after he has publicly stated that he doesn't rate him, well, if there's an alternative explanation I'd to like hear your suggestions. This isn't about Twente at all, Douglas is gone next season and I'd rather not see him called up this season as club interests weigh about a billion times heavier for me than the national team. To you I guess it is a Twente thing, I can't help that can I.

Even Feyenoord forums slag off Schaken and you know it (or don't you?). Just like Twente forums occassionally slag off Douglas, by the way. I've more than once said I do rate several Feyenoord players, do you simply fail to notice that or do you really need me to rate all 21 one of them? I don't even rate half the Twente squad!!!!!

What is truly baffling to me is how many miles apart the BigSoccer forum and Dutch football forums are. If you get upset at what I post I guess you never venture on those Dutch forums.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Heitinga WTF

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Romania more agressive

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Lucky with the free kick. Those balls tend to hit the keepers back and then go in nevertheless.