OKC team named named Energy FC

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Energy FC' started by G Enriquez, Jul 16, 2013.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said on another forum;
    Where is it going to be built?
    When is it going the built?
    Will it be built with public funds?
    Will it be built with private funds?
    Will they built it even IF the NASL team plays in 2015?
    Not one question was asked in this article. Basically the Oklahoman just reprinted a press release from Prodigal LLC.
    It doesn't mean anything until dirt gets turned over. Not a damn thing

3. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the city of OKC want more USL Pro or NASL considering both leagues are very similiar in talent level? Just curious

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The feedback I've been seeing is mostly unanimous for NASL. Alot of that is because of the support for the current PDL team, which is who is trying to bring NASL here. At least, that's what I gather

5. NASLRULES

NASLRULES New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acquiring an MLS franchise is simple for Oklahoma City: build a $150 million stadium and purchase a franchise for an additional $80-100 million. It has NOTHING to do with starting in any other league. Listening to Funk Jr., say that the USL is the path to MLS is insulting to the general public and fiction. It's all about money! OKC does not need two soccer teams or two stadiums. Ask Funk if he would be alright with someone building a new hockey arena with a new hockey team. Again, makes zero sense.

NASL is the best choice for OKC. The NASL group has a better ownership group that passionate about soccer. USL fails to point out that 8 of their franchises are drawing 2,000 or less. Goodness, 3 are drawing 400-700 fans a game. The USL is in severe trouble. Spend more time impeding NASL than worrying about 8 floundering franchises. TROUBLED LEAGUE to say the least. OKC needs the NASL not USL. Come on OKC get on board.

FCjason and ManuSooner repped this.
  6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OKC FC, our first-year, PDL, semi-pro, play-on-a-small-college-field-with-temporary-bleachers team is outdrawing 4 of the USL Pro teams. I don't know how these teams that draw under a grand can survive, making trips across the country to play, and paying their players and staff. Maybe we should ask Funk how he does it now with is hockey team? :D

sdotsom repped this.
  8. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    hi all, sorry to jump on your thread, but wanted to get some insight from those "more in the know". As it currently stands in OKC, are both leagues (NASL and USL Pro) still planning to field teams in the near future? Or is there more of a stare down, hoping one backs down?

From an outsider perspective, seems interesting that both have staked flags at the same time and same market.

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now;
    Both camps have been accepted into their respective leagues.
    The USL-Pro team is slated to start playing in 2014, but as of yet, do NOT have a venue, team colors, a name, players, staff, etc...
    The NASL team is slated to start playing in 2015, and they won the right to play at Taft stadium.
    There is still a federal lawsuit, filed by the operators of OKC FC, the USL-PDL team, against the USL to be worked out.
    Both teams have stated a desire to build soccer-specific stadia.
    That is all....I think

10. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    talked to Tim Holt and he said that the USSF does not require that for a Division 3 League team. He emphasized though that the USL is unofficially a Division 2 League...

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well, then he would be officially wrong.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Require what?

Cross-country travel? No, USSF doesn't require that, though you'd be hard-pressed not to when your league puts teams in the Pacific time zone and you play in the Eastern time zone.

Paying players? No, I guess USSF doesn't require that, though the market kind of does. And it makes it kind of hard to be a professional league if you have teams that aren't actually composed of players who get paid.

Paying staff? Well, USSF's professional league guidelines say:

i. Each team must have individuals handling responsibilities of the following positions: general manager, director of marketing/sales, director of communications/media relations, director of promotions/community relations, director of game operations, head coach, assistant coach, trainer, ticketing manager, finance director, and clerical staff.

That's not just a D2 requirement, that's a requirement for all professional leagues.

Now, can you do all that with volunteers? Not very easily. Or very well. Phoenix FC is doing it right now with almost none of those positions, but they're on their last legs anyway. And I don't recommend it as a way of doing business.

And I am, unofficially, 32 years old with two advanced degrees and a Ferrari.

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If I remember correctly, you are unofficially dating Kate Upton as well?

14. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

More from Tim...he's threatening to send a cease and desist letter to anyone that posts negative comments about him or the USL. He's also considering an expansion franchise that will start play in 8 days on Long Island. They have stadium plans already as well as 2 youth academies planed. Populous has also been working with James May to construct it.

ManuSooner repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Restraining order, blah blah blah.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, I see you getting a handy from Kate long before a USL affiliate in OKC builds a stadium

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like 1 through 4. 5 can take a flying leap.

I kinda like 1 best, both for name and for color choice.

18. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like either 46ers or Flyers.... logos all look pretty decent overall.

19. vantheman2010

vantheman2010 New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Do OKC starts in USL Pro 2014?? I thought that they cancelled it, because OKC starts in NASL 2015...

20. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it's the Energy.

21. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know it's "Tool Approved".

adoptedsooner repped this.
  23. mrbogangles

mrbogangles Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'd have to say I'm a fan as well. I'm pretty excited for Energy FC I like the logo, the colors, and the crest. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've seen. I'm not quite sure why there's so much hatred though. It seems as this team has a negative connotation before it's even played it's first match.

24. OFCBDJ

OFCBDJ Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Ever been to a Baron's game? If not, go and you will have the answer to your question. Don't want Prodigal to ruin soccer for OKC. Plus, anyone that knows anything about soccer knows that they are FOS. "We are the path to the MLS" is complete BS

Brother Badgerjohn repped this.