Milton Bradley Gamemaster Series boardgames

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Goodsport, Oct 4, 2004.

1. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, unrelated but a monopoly question..

Is it in the rules that you can set up alliances/teams wherein (for example) if he lands on my block of houses in a certain spot, he doens't pay and me for a colour of his houses in return?

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've never heard that.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot has happened in the intervening years, with all but one of the series' games being re-released (with tweaked rules and such) at least once:

Starting in 1999, many different versions covering various different WWII fronts and years have been released by Avalon Hill (the entire list of versions can be found here), as well as a revised version of the original game by Avalon Hill in 2004 and a 50th anniversary of Avalon Hill version in 2008.

In 2013, Avalon Hill released Axis & Allies WWI 1914.*

[​IMG]

The only game in the series never to have been re-released by anyone. :(

Re-released by Eagle Games in 2005.

Includes two rulesets: a tweaked version of the original game's rules and a version heavily inspired by another Eagle game (Struggle of Empires).

Re-released by Fantasy Flight Games in 2012.

Re-released as Ikusa by Avalon Hill in 2011.

-G

* Interestingly, there was a customer survey card included with Shogun back in 1986 that provided several choices for players to checkmark and mail in (though I kept mine, never even writing on it) to choose which theme they wanted the next Gamemaster Series game to cover (Historical, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Post-apocalyptic, etc.) and several choices within each provided theme. Needless to say, WWI was included as one of the choices under the Historical theme and was the top choice among all of those I regularly played A&A with.

As it turned out, though, no more Milton Bradley Gamemaster Series games would be made as such after Shogun.
    :(

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It turns out that I was slightly off: WWI was (strangely enough) listed under the Modern theme rather than the Historical theme, and the Post-apocolyptic choice was listed as "Road Warrior, Future Earth" under the Fantasy theme.

Nonetheless, a scan of that 1986 MB Customer Inquiry Card can be viewed here.

-G