It's time to stop playing Freddy out of position

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccersonoma10, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    agreed, kilns doesn't have anything against Freddy. I wouldn't call him up either. He had one great half. It was great, but it was just a half. If he can string full games like that half, he will be there in Sept no doubt about it.

MadRHatter repped this.
  2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Just for fun, I'll make a list of a few of the callups and a few of the snubs, with Donovan also thrown in as a further comparison.

Since July 1, 2011:
    In 24 starts and 2 subs in 2011-12, Edgar Castillo has 0 goals and 2 assists.
    In 19 starts and 10 subs in 2011-12, Joe Corona has 4 goals and 0 assists.
    In 0 starts and 1 sub in 2011-12, Terrence Boyd has 0 goals and 0 assists.
    In 12 starts and 7 subs in 2011-12, Freddy Adu has 3 goals and 1 assist.
    In 30 starts and 6 subs in 2011-12, DaMarcus Beasley has 7 goals and 4 assists.
    In 33 starts and 2 subs in 2011-12, Graham Zusi has 5 goals and 5 assists.
    In 42 starts and 3 subs in 2011-12, Landon Donovan has 11 goals and 12 assists.
    (Source is Soccernet, so MLS secondary assists aren't listed.)

3. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess by this logic, Gio dos Santos should've been at home during the Gold Cup last summer. I wonder how that worked out for the Mexican Squad?

4. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan has 2 goals and 2 assists in 10 games. Barely better. But you call him up because he's good and his history with the national team. I think Adu warrants a look for the same reason. However if Adu puts together a season where he plays like he did at the Olympic quals every game, then that would be the best thing for him.

5. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 games 2012 José Torres 0 goals 3 assists

6. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. To be fair, nobody is/has been lighting it up this season and Adu has always performed well and gave it his all when he puts on a US shirt. I think more than anything he's been always thrown under the bus for his club situation and that's why we see him in spurts with the national team.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Klinsmann may categorize Torres (or Williams) in this group, but I don't.

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which is all Klinsi' asks for from his players. Play well for your club first, get minutes... BE MATCH FIT.

This is makes sense. I do hope Freddy can find that great form we saw of him before his red card..... but his biggest issue is playing that way every game.

9. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have to understand this. We are not Spain, We are not France or England. With those national teams I agree, it's so much talent you have to go off of form and match fitness in order determine squads. We are not that good yet to just go off of club form alone. Tearing up MLS doesn't mean anything. Again, like I said before if de la Torre took that philosophy, then dos Santos should've been on his couch last summer. Instead, he brought him along and his decision paid off.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  10. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say he was left off because he needs to be great game in and game out is fine, but shouldnt every player be held to that standard? Shouldnt every attacking player be expected to be "match fit" by playing first team minutes and contributing with goals and assists?

There are numerous attacking options on this roster that do not get consistent minutes and do not consistently produce. So for me, the reasoning behind Klinsi's decision is BS.

Honestly, I dont have a problem with the non call up, just with the babble behind it.

And the same goes for Lichaj. The reasoning there is just BS.

11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since you don't have an issue with the non-call. How would you explain the non-call to a reporter that IYO is not "BS"?

Here is JK's quote again:

“What we expect is that you put your stamp on your team, and there needs to come more,” Klinsmann said. “Freddy is not considered in that group because we need to see more. We need to see killer passes. We need to see goals. We need to see really creative elements because you’re an attacking midfielder.

“So you’re measured on what comes out at the end of the day. How many assists, how many goals you score. It’s not just playing.”

12. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yep. We aren't.... but we are pretty FULL in CM's that offer a decent amount. Jones, Corona, possibly Torres, even Bradley bring SIMILAR elements.... maybe not quite as dynamic as Freddy CAN be.... but it's all about match fitness in the system Klinsi' plays. He wants all players to pressure, to run, run at defenses and be 'match fit'.

With freddy not getting enough playing time, and how full we are at CM, he is SOL'd. If he was say, just as skilled but not getting PT as a forward... he'd probably be called like Agudelo. But given how full we are in CM... not happening.

Look at feilhaber for example. Vision and Talent up the wazoo.... but is a lazy player when he plays, plays old school with walking around, not chasing much, and will only add when on offense. This is not what Klinsi wants. He wants someone who chases... thats why we probably wont see much if any of Feilhaber. I think Lee Nguyen may get more of a look.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy shouldn't have to play that way every game to make the National Team since if he did he'd be the best player in our pool (he should have had 3 assists in less than 45 minutes). At some point before that he becomes good enough to make the team.

14. Canuckamericano

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Nashville Metros
    Occasional pretty pass and wrongfooting defenders aside, Adu's value is his potential to score goals. With the exception of Spain (8 goals in 7 games) teams that advance far into the WC usually do so because a guy or 2 like Paolo Rossi got on a scoring streak at the right time. Clint Mathis simply got on a streak at the right time for us. Adu has had stunning scoring streaks in his career and IMO is one of those guys with a mediocre career so far that has so much potential to get a hot foot at any time that for that reason I like him hanging around the US bench for another cycle or 2. But not because any skills re. passing, leadership, judgment, etc etc.

15. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :D

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is my point. He needs more consistency.

He can go from THAT game... to just being someone who barely gets touches on the ball and is 'invisible' the next .Consistency is his problem. He has a problem with disappearing.

That isn't the type of player Klinsi is after. He wants consistency and game shape/90minutes of play from his guys outside the NT uniform.

17. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Part of the problem of this equation is just that... How do you expect someone to be consistent when the situation they're put in is not even consistent at all? Everytime he's played in CAM position wherever he's been at in the world, HE HAS PERFORMED. You would think people by now would see that he needs to be put in the right situations to succeed. I don't see coaches trying to play Dempsey as a CDM every other game but for some reason, coaches want to play Freddy on the wing and then expect him to be a wizard. And then when he doesn't have the same results as he does when he plays in the middle, then people claim he's inconsistent. I am no Freddy apologist, and I know Freddy has flaws technically and defensively that he needs to get better at but his play on the field reflect what I am saying here in this post.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't disagree with you.

I think though, he needs to put more performances like the one he had before he had that red card. More of that.... and less if him just getting a couple of touches in the game.... and nothing else.

I still remember following him closely when he was at Aris. He would be amazing one game... and then be mediocre the next. All playing the same way from the same positon.

19. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think JK rates Adu. Thus Adu will have to prove himself hugely, very hugely in his club career before getting a look. That's really where any inconsistency from JK comes from.

20. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Nah, all Adu has to do is keep producing the form of his half against NY. Do that with some consistency and he'll be going to Brazil easily. It's not a small challenge for him though, because he hasn't figured out how to do that yet.

21. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consistency is overrated. One great game out of three is better than no great games out of three, though the latter was certainly more consistent.

That's all? Over 10 games a performance like that in each game would result in roughly 2 goals, 15 assists and a drawn penalty. If that's the standard Freddy needs to achieve to make the National Team then forget about it.

22. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think that Freddy will always be able to play up and play a limited role very well, and am not sure the PU can figure that out. There have been slow but very talented players that have come to the MLS and failed, so Freddy failing to breach a certain success threshold in MLS is not definitive of his strengths and what he could add if played properly.

I think it will be a mistake if Adu keeps improving slowly and isn't included, which is what I expect to happen. Take Nguyen or Adu or someone other than Dempsey who can create. Haven't watched Zusi though.

23. Typhaon

Typhaon Member

Nov 2, 2009
    The last few times I've seen Adu play in international games (Olympics/USMNT) he was the best guy on the field. I continue to remain confused about why a coach wouldn't want his unique talents on the team... regardless of whether or not he is in top form at his club.

IF he played a series of international matches and was not good - I could understand dropping him to the back of the line... but that hasn't been the case.

24. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel the same way too. He's always performed when he put on USA jersey from when he was 14 all the way til 22 year old man he is today. No I'm not Mrs. Adu but I'm being real. Why do we waste our time with players like Graham Zusi and Chris Wondolowski? And then when they do end up getting on the field, they have no impact on the game. At least with Adu he'll up open the game for you. He may not help you defensively but I'd take that rather these MLS hacks that play International soccer and look like they never showed up to the stadium.

25. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The inconsistency continues, he made one good run when he found space, and beat a few defenders but was unable to find space for most of the match, as the Union were forced to resort to the long ball, with Adu often receiving booted long balls at midfield with his back to a defender.

Adu needs to find a way to get the ball with space to run at defenders.