DC United: The Good, The Bad, and The Playoff Situation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So I begged off my annual table thread on MLSN&A -- partly because the new forum software sucks for that sort of thing, partly because I never got around to updating my old spreadsheet for the new playoff system. But today I finally sat down and updated the spreadsheet. I'm still not going to do a full-fledged playoff numbers thread. The forum software still sucks. And truth be told, there's really not much of a playoff race anywhere in MLS -- except for DCU. So I am starting this thread here to focus on DCU's playoff chances.

So how are things shaping up? Things are pretty damn ugly.

ONE

For year's I've been saying that it takes just around 1.33 PPG not to make the playoffs, but to be in the playoff conversation. That is true this year as well. But it's only true in the Western Conference. VAN probably will make the 5th spot in the West with around 45 PTS. In fact, 45 PTS might be a high estimate. Because there are only 9 teams in the West, you really only need to be around the 44th percentile to make the cut. If you look at the 44th percentile for PPG in the West, you're actually only projecting about 42 PTS.

The East is a totally different ballgame. In the East, with 10 teams, to make the cut you've gotta be around the 50th percentile. If you look at the 50th percentile for PPG in the East, you're actually projecting a whopping 52 PTS. Yes, that's right: I'm saying for Eastern teams it's going to take on the order of 10 more points to make the playoffs than Western teams: 52 PTS vs 42 PTS.

(I can explain those numbers in greater detail, but I'm not sure anyone cares.)

Those are just estimates, but they speak to a reality: it's a whole lot harder to make the playoffs in the East.

TWO

We've really gotta worry about two teams: MTL and CMB. But compared to them we've got a really favorable strength of schedule.

Strength of Schedule, factoring home and away:
    CMB: 1.63
    MTL: 1.52
    DCU: 1.29

And it's arguably even better than those numbers indicate. Look at United's next five games:
    Code:
    CMB:  @.NYR  __CHV  __PHI  __SKC  @.DCU  __TFC
          -----  @.CHI  -----  -----  -----  -----
    MTL:  @.CHI  __SKC  -----  @.HOU  @.TFC  __NER
    DCU:  __NER  @.PHI  @.POR  @.TFC  __CMB  @.CHI
          -----  __CHV  -----  -----  -----  -----
    (How shitty is this new software? That one little table was a PITA to post. And I had to fiddle with it in all sorts of asinine ways. Ugh ...)

Those are all terrible teams, bottom of the table, already effectively of our the playoffs teams. Now even playing well, there's no way this team would sweep those games. But the reality is, any legitimate playoff team should probably average around 2 PPG against teams like those. If we can't get 2 PPG against those teams, then we shouldn't make the playoffs, and the truth is we won't.

THREE

Even if we average 2 PPG over these next 5 games, it'll probably still come down to the season's second to last game against CMB. Again: even if we do really well in the next five, if we drop the sixth game, it's probably over. And that's all assuming MTL doesn't pull of a miracle run.

FOUR

This is where things get really ugly.

Here's the dreaded chart. The chart shows rolling 5-game PPG averages (which is also why it starts only with the 5th game) for DCU, CMB and MTL. Our competitors are doing extremely well when they need it the most. We are doing extremely poorly now that we really need the points. Nothing in this chart should give you any confidence about DCU making the playoffs. To have any realistic chance of making the playoffs, we're going to have to at least double our current PPG 5-game running average.

MTL, DCU, CMB: Rolling 5-Game PPG Averages
    [​IMG]

Abandon all hope? If we can't beat NER and CHV at home in our next two games, then yes.

And, finally, yes I indeed did guarantee a while back in a now infamous thread that DCU would make the playoffs. I was wrong. But, honestly, who the fcuk predicted that these no-good bastards would fcuk up this badly? Not me! I had confidence! I was sure of them! I was an idiot.

X@V!3R, Saltenya94, strago and 10 others repped this.
  2. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the early morning pick me up.

So we're to blame you for the woofing?

Good analysis. I'm hoping that we get a couple of players off of injury and that helps things. Because if we fail to make the playoffs *again*, the entire FO needs to be fired and do the walk of shame out of RFK. Well they've needed to go for a while now but if that doesn't do it, then they must have pictures of Chang and the new owners with a goat hidden away.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The coaching staff too.

I'll be at RFK next year anyway. The problem is those who are fans but now go to a few or no games a year now. I assume attendance has something to do with DC United's stadium quest but there is nothing I could imagine saying to someone to convince them to see a game (at least related to what's going on on the field).

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know quite a few casual/occassional fans out here in PW County who used to go to games now and again. Mostly, those guys don't bother anymore, even though they still follow the sport.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If it makes you feel better.
    The crazy thing about all this is that we really are better than last year. In fact, the guys on the UnitedMania podcast were talking about the same thing. It's just that the league as a whole is getting better too, and they're doing it at a faster pace than us. And then you add in the new conference scheme, and the disparity between what it takes the make the playoffs in the East vs what it takes in the West ... it looks real ugly even though we are better than we were. Maybe that's the thing -- this team can get better, but it just can't seem to get ahead of the competition.

I guess it'd look different if we were in the Western Conference. The idea that a team could have 50+ points and still fail to make the playoffs is just nuts.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The home games are incredibly important. But "non-wins" vs only NER and CHV, at home, still wouldn't "prevent" on their own DCU from getting ~10 points from their next 5 games, nor immediately disqualify United from the post-season all together. (at least 2 "bad" results are likely to happen in United's final 7 games. The key is what they do with those other 5 games. (There are certainly points everywhere to be had across the season -- but yes the margin for error, and dropped points, tends to get tighter later in the season.)

as for the chart above, I like it, and I like your analysis of it: "To have any realistic chance of making the playoffs, we're going to have to at least double our current PPG 5-game running average."

So what you're saying is that United has to do in games 28-34 what it was doing back in games 15-18 and/or in games 8-11. (Not an impossibility, imo, given that this is "the same team" and it's "already done that" this season -- in terms of maintaining some consistently +2.0 Rolling 5-Game PPG Averages, as they looked to have done it from games 8-11 and from games 15-18 this season.

Certainly, from the graph, United's recent trajectory isn't nearly as encouraging as CLB's or MTL's trajectories are, but from the looks of it those teams have themselves been all over that graph across the season, and there's no guarantee that their final 5-7 games will look as high/successful as their most recent 5-7 games. DCU's just got to return to "mid-season form" (<1.5 PPG form) and hope for the likely event that one or both of CLB and MTL will also return to their own "mid-season" from for the final 6 weeks of the season.

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    agree with a whole lot of this.

although, what qualifies as "nuts" now (in terms of what it takes from a PPG perspective) was always going to change as MLS expanded and added more and more teams that "aren't making" the playoffs each year. (and as the league settled on a 34-game season the "total points" threshold was never going to be all that relevant when the analysis was based on seasons of various and fewer total games played per team.)

in the near future, I could easily see MLS establishing a 12-team post season for a 20-team league. (and then the PPG playoff threshold would/could approach those lower and "more normal" expectations that fans/analysts have seen MLS establish in its short and varied history as a league with and ever-changing, and adapting/expanding, playoff qualification standard.)

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Yeah, that's basically the bottom line. And given our competition, I just don't see any excuses. We're facing bad teams. If we can't beat bad teams on a regular basis, then we don't belong in the playoffs.

And that's really why I say if we don't beat NER and CHV in our next two games, then we're screwed. No, not mathematically, as you say. But in reality? Yes. Those are home games. Those are a couple of the absolute worst teams in the league. Again, we will have no excuses.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    agreed.

(save for the "excuse" that DC is geographically disadvantaged, in terms of MLS's 2012 competition format and results. life would be so much better for United, in this scenario, if the club were say located in Vancouver. not that the local fans would appreciate that. And the same could be said about MTL, or any/every "East" team, in 2012.)

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    But that's sort of the thing -- the "normal" still exists. If this were a single table, we'd be in fine shape (and there'd be a great playoff race amongst a whole bunch of teams.). But with this new conference playoff scheme, there's really no playoff race at all, and we're suffering because of what is really just high statistical variation in our conference. If MLS was taking the top 10 out of the whole league for the playoffs without regard to conference, 45 points would probably do it. And we're certainly going to get 45 points. (Right?)

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    yes.

but "the normal" doesn't exist for MLS, imo. the league is always adapting and changing what it has done (and opted to do and has had to do) across its history.

2012 is the "new normal" -- and MLS is still a "young-ish" league that is best trying to figure out an appropriate competition format (and deal with some things like the unfortunate reality of trying to run a league with 19 teams in it). (Not that "regionalizing" the schedule and focusing on local rivalries and attempting to cut down on travel across the season was the "best" operational move overall, from a competitively-neutral standpoint. But I can see why MLS did it in 2012.)

as soon as team 20 joins up, that will be a "new normal" again for MLS. (If I had a vote, I'd opt to ship Houston out to the West in 2013 just to be better prepared for the supposed arrival of some new team to the East in some future/soon season, and to "balance-out" the imbalance that looks to be happening in 2012.)

if MLS opts to expand to 12 playoff teams when team 20 arrives, then perhaps only 2012 and 2013 (assuming a 2014 launch season for team 20) may be the only years in which 1/2 of a conference fails to make the post-season. (Although, I'd also be fine with MLS sticking with a 10-team post-season even when it has 20 teams total.)

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    just to footnote, and I'm sure you're aware of this, those next two "home" games also have an away game (at PHI) sandwiched in between. So 3 games in 9 days. (Sat-Thurs-Sun.)

Certainly a good time to try to grab as many points (if not max 9) as possible across that stretch.

fwiw, during that sames that same weekend-midweek-weekend stretch for United, Columbus is @NY, home to CUSA, @CHI on the Sat-Wed-Sat schedule.

13. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Given our recent history over the last few years, I don't assume any game comes close to an automatic win for us. First of all, look at Philadelphia at RFK. Second, consider some random event like a DeRo or Kitchen injury.

I really don't want to put myself into a frame of mind where I expect wins from this team and then we lose. It will be like last year where fans gave an inspirational last burst of support to DC against Portland at RFK and we shit all over ourselves. Covered ourselves from head to toe in loser poop. I think I got an aneurysm after that.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Right. I had it all blurred together in my mind.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    High hopes. Low expectations.

A solid win on Saturday could open up the windows and let the stank of the last 5 games out.

Knave, you are a priceless resource and I appreciate all that math.

16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knave does math so I don't have to.

Knave is a hero.

Saltenya94 and drink.mingusdew repped this.
  17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I fixed your post to reflect the truth.

nobletea repped this.
  18. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, let's try this...

Knave understands how to get Excel to do the math we want to see so I don't have to.

Knave is a hero.

19. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I have to correct one thing:

Rubbish. The Impact are done. We've got 2 points and 2 games in hand. They're gonna get 6, maybe 7 points, bringing them to 46. I more or less agree with your estimate -- the cut-off will be at 52 or, I think, 53 points. Montreal has little shot at being in the range.

The battle for the last 3 spots should be a heated one -- between 4 sides -- Houston, Chicago, Columbus and DC. Really, any one of those 4 could find themselves on the outside looking in at the end. Though CCL play may complicate this, Houston seems most likely to make it through, as they should get 9 or 10 points, giving them 54 or 55. So, the season will probably come down to games between DC, Chi, and the Crew.

Columbus ought to get at least 9 points, bringing them to 51, so their fate will depend on whether they can get points in KC, Chi, or DC. The Fire should get at least 6 or 7, bringing them to 50 or 51. If the Fire can hold serve at home by defeating either the Crew or DCU, they should go through. For United, assuming they get 6 points from home games, against the Revs and Chivas, that will get them to 47 points. They could steal 3 or more points in road games at Toronto, Philly and Portland. If they win 2 of those games, they might not have to worry about division rivals. However, it's likely they're going to have to defeat either the Crew, at RFK, or the Fire, on the road.

So, I think DCU can get in with 53 points, by beating either the Fire or the Crew, but it might even take 54 points to get in, and that would really put DCU behind the 8-ball.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I believe I said they'd need a miracle run. And, obviously, I really only talked about the Crew. Still, stranger things have happened, so I didn't want to exclude MTL entirely from consideration.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The one asset this team still has is it's home form.

This next game is a great opportunity to regain the upper hand over Columbus. I see a very high likelyhood of CLB dropping points in NY this weekend, so 3 points at RFK could put us back into 5th. Getting 1 point will kick the can down the road and set Columbus up for the next game to increase their lead with an easy home game while we have to travel to Philly who always give us trouble.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Exactly. Strange things can happen.

And (with about 6 weeks to go) if we're willing to not exclude MTL entirely from consideration of those East teams still in the race to make the playoffs, I'd like to put forward the idea of not excluding NYRB entirely from consideration of those East teams still in the race to miss the playoffs.

Although NY has been doing very well at home in 2012, a couple of slip-ups at home in Sept/Oct really could complicate things for them. Here's their remaining schedule that includes home games vs. CLB, SKC, TOR, CHI and SKC (again) and a short road trip to NE in Sept and then to PHI to close out the season in Oct.

if CLB, SKC twice, and CHI can grab points in NY -- then there's the real, but perhaps small, possibility that NY could be pulled into the race for spots 2-5 in the East along with HOU, CHI, CLB, DC and MTL.

(but there's a lot of soccer to still be played, and these "top 7" teams in the East are going to likely be sharing points or taking possible points off of each other. hope for many ties in games not involving DC, or hope for the bottom three teams - NE, PHI, TOR - to start accumulating some wins somehow, other than against DC of course.)

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just the thought of having to cheer for NY this weekend is making me nauseous already.

Winoman and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I ********ing hate Ryan Murphy.:mad:

//yes, that's all I got out of this thread.

25. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    The next 5 matches will decide who gets 3-5. Miss that group and DC should clean the FO out as they brought in the changes that quite frankly have only affected the clubhouse; the result on the pitch has not been "better". Standing still would got us to the same place.

More than 10 points in these 5 is not only doable but should be expected. This is the easy part of the schedule. It is also the final opportunity to get cohesion and consistency for the playoffs.