Copa Libertadores 2014: Round of 16 Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by Century's Best, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Oitavas-de-final / Octavos de final / Round of 16
    1. Vélez Sarsfield vs. 16. Nacional-PAR
    2. Grêmio vs. 15. San Lorenzo
    3. Santos Laguna vs. 14. Lanús
    4. Atlético Mineiro vs. 13. Atlético Nacional
    5. Defensor Sporting vs. 12. The Strongest
    6. Bolívar vs. 11. León
    7. Cerro Porteño vs. 10. Cruzeiro
    8. Unión Española vs. 9. Arsenal

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's difficult to make predictions given I've not watched all the games of the 16 qualified teams, but I'll try to make educated guesses.

Vélez Sarsfield vs. Nacional-PAR
    Vélez Sarsfield has the edge - but this Nacional team showed, in a match against Atlético Mineiro, that it knows how to frustrate a superior opponent. I definitely give Vélez the advantage, though, and predict them to advance.

Grêmio vs. San Lorenzo
    San Lorenzo showed heart and guts yesterday - against a deflated and apathetic Botafogo team. San Lorenzo lost when it played on Brazilian soil earlier in the tournament. San Lorenzo may now be awakening, but Grêmio may be too much to handle for them. I expect Grêmio in the quarterfinals.

Santos Laguna vs. Lanús
    I've not watched Santos Laguna at all, and I know Lanús has some scrappy, experienced players like Santiago Silva and Leandro Somoza. And Laguna did lose 3-0 at Arsenal tonight - I have no idea if Laguna was disinterested, if they sent reserves, or if they just had an off night. I'd normally give Laguna the edge by virtue of their ranking, but if they play at Lanús the way they did against Arsenal, I wouldn't be surprised if Lanús advances.

Atlético Mineiro vs. Atlético Nacional
    This is going to be a very interesting matchup. The defending champions are nowhere as dazzling and quick as they were last year, and the Colombians have fast, athletic players. They beat Newell's Old Boys tonight rather easily, according to post-game reports, and Newell's was definitely a title contender. If Atlético Mineiro wants to defend its crown, it better turn up its game a notch or two. Anelka's arrival and the team's solid stream in home games at Horto are pluses, but if the Colombian team ends Galo's title reign, it won't be a shock.

Defensor Sporting vs. The Strongest
    Until this year, my most vivid memories of Defensor Sporting was their elimination of Boca Juniors in Argentina in 2009 and their ousting of Flamengo in 2007. Never did I think they'd win their group. The Strongest will make maximum use of the altitude and hold back in Uruguay. Hard to call, but I'd like to see Defensor advance (not because I like them, but because I'm tired of teams struggling in Andean heights).

Cerro Porteño vs. Cruzeiro
    Cerro Porteño won its group but lost two matches, and won no away games. At least at home, they're 3 for 3, and they showed against Lanús they can surprise you with one goal after another. Cruzeiro has come back from the dead, and its uncontestable road victory against Universidad de Chile showed it will be a tough visitor to host. It's unfortunate Cruzeiro's lost points against Defensor Sporting robbed it of possibly winning this group, but I think Cruzeiro has what it takes to advance.

Unión Española vs. Arsenal
    All I can say about these two teams is that given they scored a combined 8 goals among them in their last matches, we may get goalfests. The Chilean team's fans would love a repeat of their 1975 run to the final match - Arsenal has shown this year that it's not content to be a "minor" team from Argentina in the Libertadores stage. I have no prediction other than that this may well be an unexpectedly entertaining series.

Bolívar vs. León
    I didn't watch a single minute of Bolívar's games, but León has some veterans and last night it showed it can cause trouble even as a visitor. I really can't make a call here.

3. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bingo.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  4. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Estas parejas me gustan.

5. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Al menos hay 2 antecedentes recientes:

19 de febrero: Bolívar 1 León 1
    27 de marzo: León 0 Bolívar 1

dreyx2000 repped this.
  6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Bolívar for the win... Bolivia doesn't reach the World Cup, but let Bolívar play a respectable role in the Libertadores.

dreyx2000 and Eber1990 repped this.
  7. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    8°s de final:

Miércoles 16:
    Lanús(ARG) vs Santos Laguna(MÉJ)
    Cruzeiro(BRA) vs Cerro Porteño(PAR)
    León(MÉJ) vs Bolívar(BOL)

Jueves 17:
    The Strongest(BOL) vs Defensor Sporting(URU)

Martes 22:
    Bolívar(BOL) vs León(MÉJ)

Miércoles 23:
    Nacional de Asunción(PAR) vs Vélez Sarsfield(ARG)
    San Lorenzo de Almagro(ARG) vs Gremio(BRA)
    Atlético Nacional(COL) vs Atlético-MG(BRA)

Jueves 24:
    Arsenal(ARG) vs Unión Española(CHI)
    Santos Laguna(MÉJ) vs Lanús(ARG)

Martes 29:
    Defensor Sporting(URU) vs The Strongest(BOL)
    Vélez Sarsfield(ARG) vs Nacional de Asunción(PAR)

Miércoles 30:
    Atlético-MG(BRA) vs Atlético Nacional(COL)
    Gremio(BRA) vs San Lorenzo de Almagro(ARG)
    Cerro Porteño(PAR) vs Cruzeiro(BRA)

Jueves 1 de mayo:
    Unión Española(CHI) vs Arsenal(ARG)

MetroChile and locoxriver repped this.
  8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ojala....

9. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    why are the games played in 3 weeks? that's not fair for teams that have to play two weeks in a row... For example Bolivar (my team) plays on the 16th in Mexico then plays again the 22nd thats only 6 days apart apart, while other teams have 11 or 12 days apart... thats bs

P.S: Not saying 6 days are not enough, but make it the same for everyone...

dreyx2000, MetroChile and JAIME CHILE repped this.
  10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

Biggest issue for ATl Nacional will be they will miss Cardona (top scorer, AMF), as he was red carded in the NOB match. He's got a heck of a shot and great skill at his age (21). Only issue is he's a hothead, hence his expulsion.

11. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Unión Española contrató anoche a Marcos González, líbero de la Selección Chilena mundialista, específicamente para jugar esta Copa Libertadores.
    Fue parte de Flamengo hasta hace algunas semanas atrás (no era tenido en cuenta por el D.T.).

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    O sea, si tenemos suerte jugará unos 6 partidos?

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lanus pulled one out of their arse at the end. Darwin's road goal could still come in handy though.

14. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    8°s de final (miércoles 16):

Lanús(ARG) 2 Santos Laguna(MÉJ) 1
    Goles de Carlos Quintero(SL), Facundo Monteseirin(L) y Matías Martínez(L).

Jugando los 1°s tiempos:

Cruzeiro(BRA) 0 Cerro Porteño(PAR) 0

León(MÉJ) 1 Bolívar(BOL) 0
    Gol de Luis Montes.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Very good level of the two games being played right now. Cerro is a contender, IMO: beating Cruzeiro 1-0 in the Mineirao. Leon is beating Bolivar 1-0 in their Guarida.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bolivar with huge road goal.

dreyx2000 repped this.
  17. dreyx2000

dreyx2000 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Callejón scored on one of Bolivar's few attacks..Bolívar has a tremendous efficiency against León while away!

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Man this Bolivar team knows how to counter.
    2 Road goals now.

dreyx2000 repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Que tal forma de cerrar espacios de Cerro Porteño. Es una defensa asfixiante.

20. erdosain

erdosain Member

Jun 30, 2005
    What's up with Leon's defense? I don't normally watch the Mexican league. Would this defending be considered up to par?

21. dreyx2000

dreyx2000 Member

Apr 1, 2007
    León 2 - Bolívar 2. Leon's 2nd goal seemed to be a handball.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tremendo partido del Gatito Fernandez con Cerro Porteño, tapó de todo. I think he's the guy who'll take Justo Villar's place with their NT.

23. gvazqu1

gvazqu1 Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No. Leon's D is terrible.
    Leon is 14th/16 in the MEX league.
    4-5-6 this year.

24. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bolivar did it again! where are the haters now? :sneaky:

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Our level as a team keeps rising which is great--as it's not been the case in the past for Bolivian squads.

I am happy for our boys. 2 road goals are HUGE!! Next is to take the Mexicans heads off in La Paz and take them to school in the 'Siles.

Our team has it in them. Our ability to hold the ball, eat their pressure and then do quick 1 touch counter attacking passes has been something special. Azkargorta has figured out how to use our Espanoles to their fullest capability with quick touches and fast movement.

He has to be appluaded because Soria the coach before him didn't know how to get the best out of them, and even benched Capdevila early on when he was coaching.

Cheers to our boys and a very exciting first game!! Leon were strong on offense, but we had them on counters. So much money and talent.....but heart sometimes makes for more. ;)

dreyx2000, Dustyvinyl and Eber1990 repped this.