Battlefield 4

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Dills, Sep 17, 2013.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then I have either been unlucky or Dice hasn't sorted out a solid map rotation yet. Seeing how I've hit level 7 three times today I am gonna guess there are some launch issues.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, something is definitely wonky with the ranking system at the moment, and they're also well aware of the campaign progress not saving correctly. ow.ly/qvka2

For example, last night I hit PFC IV twice, and in the final round I played - one where I joined the server you were in @NORML with only 30 seconds left - it was still showing me as PFC III. Kind of frustrating, seeing as I hit PFC II a couple times as well. And yet, battlelog is still showing that I was promoted ... two screenshots from battlelog last night on my phone at 10:35P. First shows my "current" rank of Private First Class III, second shows that 38 minutes prior I was promoted to Private First Class IV. :(

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promoted - again - to PFC IV last night, and it stuck this time.

Played a couple rounds of Obliteration, and I think I have me a new fave gametype. Down 2-0 on Golmud Railway within the first 10 minutes, team comes back and wins 3-2. It was cuhrazee.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    This is the first online shooter I've played since Halo 2. I'm having a ball with multiplayer, but jeepers, I'm going to have to play for a couple weeks before I put in some respectable showings. Thus far I've only played Deathmatch and it took me 5 games to get my first kill. LOLZ.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 Dills, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    For what it's worth, BF is more about playing the objectives and less about kill/death ratios.*

There is still that opportunity with some of the sans-vehicle, close quarters gametypes, but even then assault & support classes can rack up points by healing/reviving/supplying ammo to their team and squad mates as quickly as spotting/suppressing/killing the opposition.

*Said by someone who has a k/d ratio under 0.75.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally caved and am going to sink some money into Premium for BF4. Had it for BF3, so why not, right?

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I had a rough stint at work with many a stupid o'clock finish but I should be around more now. I had a nice little run this afternoon on BF4 when I had a squad who actually worked together. I agree with what Dill posted above. PTFO (play the ********ing objective) and help your squad. You will be less exposed than you are in Deathmatch and the rest will come with time.

Dills repped this.
  8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If I get one more load screen freeze I'll be putting this aside until it is patched.

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got my copy of BF4... but for the Xbone. Now I just need to wait until Friday to play it.

Dills repped this.
  11. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Are you playing on PC? I play on PS3, and for the two weeks that I've had it, playing about 1-2 hours multiplayer a day I have only had one freeze in between games.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

Haha, yeah, I guess I still have a bit of the Halo mentality in me. I've taken your advice though and am seeing that even in games like Deathmatch you can do a lot to help your team reach 100 other than just try to kill, kill, kill.

So does everyone pretty much play by themselves or is there a lot of clan-play? I have only come up against one clan since I've been playing, and they weren't really that good. In games like WOW you're pretty much wanting to smash your head into a wall if you're not playing with guild mates.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to be involved with the clan thing back in my PC gaming days when I had more time to kill and less responsibilities. I don't really find that clans are all that prevalent in the console scene, however. Or maybe I'm just oblivious to it.

I think the "recommended" way to play is at least use your headset and communicate with your squad mates at a minimum. I've shied away from this however and, although I try to be a team player, I'm a piss poor communicator. And by piss poor, I mean I don't talk ... at all.

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live stream of "Second Assault" DLC today @ 12P PDT/9P CEST

http://www.twitch.tv/Battlefield

And first look at the revamped Operation Metro map which will be part of this second DLC.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I get Premium (PC version) for this game?

-G

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you plan on purchasing all the DLC that will be released? If so, in the long run, you'll end of saving money. If not, shelling out $50 for some special "exclusive" battlepacks might not be worth it.

17. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    360. It's not as bad as it was but the load screen can still be temperamental.

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice. :)

I'd likely end up purchasing all the DLC anyway, so I might as well purchase Premium. However, I'll wait until tomorrow to see if I receive an EA/Origins birthday discount email like I had my previous few birthdays and (if so) use it with my Premium purchase then.

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up not receiving an EA/Origins birthday discount email like I had the past few years. :( It likely wouldn't have helped anyway since, upon recently re-reading the fine print on last year's discount email, it wouldn't have applied to games released in the last 30 days anyway. :(

Nonetheless, I decided to purchase Premium anyway and now look forward to both the goodies and the eventual savings on expansions for the next two years or so. :)

-G

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hadn't played in about a week, but was able to fire up my console Saturday & Sunday nights. You know what they say, sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. Got in a few rounds against/with @Teso Dos Bichos on Saturday, and the rust finally started coming off last night, but I was so out of the zone.

Anywho, anyone see the "BF4 Player Appreciation" thing happening from Nov 28th thru Dec 5th?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/bf4-player-appreciation/

In a nutshell, because of the rough/sketchy launch, there will be double-XP for that timeframe and, for anyone logging into the game on the 5th, you'll receive the previous-reserved-for-DICE-developers M1911 pistol scope.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If you ever see me online join in off me and join the party. We usually have 2-6 people in the game actually talking and playing as a team.

Dills repped this.
  22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do.

I figured with the time difference, odds of us ever playing online simultaneously were very slim. Somebody was up late, no?

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    If I am not working I'll usually play from midnight through to ~0500 if people are online. I only usually get four hours sleep anyway. I'm off Wed-Mon so chances are I'll be around quite a bit!

24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know, especially with the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend almost upon us.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamespot posted a bunch of videos for the upcoming "China Rising" DLC.