Zusi as a right back? Corona?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drdi, Jul 22, 2013.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi has had success as a right midfielder. I don't think we want to mess with that.

Parkhurst has a pulled it together. Evan showed he can play in CONCACAF at a decent level. If we are going to experiment at I would rather we give a shot to someone like Yedlin than Zusi.

2. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

3. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hahaha well then

4. mthead14

mthead14 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    in a pinch, I'd put Landon back there and Zusi in front of him.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he doesn't. How often do you watch the Sounders?

6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everytime someone mentions Brad Evans at RB I cringe. He's not good at it in MLS.

7. USfootballer89

Mar 6, 2008
    new orleans
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well at least I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we talking FIFA 13 or real life? I don't see JK playing Zusi or Corona at RB, not even on FIFA 13

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  9. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    while the topic of midfielders on the back line is concerned...i'd like to see bradley as a center back. he drops back all the way to the back line to get the ball anyway when he plays...why not just cut out the middle man?...i hate watching gonzalez square pass to bradley for 20 minutes a game. the gold cup has shown how successful the usa can be when they play with midfielders who can ATTACK and orchestrate...besides, bradley is pretty good at the long ball...this way, a really good long passer would be on the back line. also it would open the door for another central middie who can do damage in the offensive third to get on the field....maybe holden when hes back in full form....or even donovan and let zusi stay at righ wing....(though im not fully sold on zusi myself) the only thing is that bradley really isnt a good one on one defender and if youve been watching closely he often gets burned or is one of the players getting burned when teams score against the us....he doesnt really catch much heat because hey hes a mid tracking back and hustling but he gets burned a lot....bottom line i think he plays too conservatively and slows down the ball in mid and doesnt really provide enough of a threat to SCORE so hed be my first choice to move a middie back to the d line. hes a great player but the team has a lot of servicable options so it should be more about style than status.

10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bradley isn't a strong enough solo tackler, and many of his best attributes (high work rate, 360 degree range of passing under pressure) would be wasted on him at CB. If we want a midfielder playing CB, might as well be Cameron, who has more experience at the position.

11. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't understand why Cameron isn't an obvious choice at CB over Gonzalez.

12. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You guys are mentioning the wrong midfielders to try out at RB. Jones and Edu both have the skill set and the mental and physical tools to play the position. On paper, either one of them should be able to play RB effectively given an adjustment period. In reality maybe it won't work at all, but it's worth looking at. Moving JJ there keeps his intangibles on the field while at the same time freeing up a starting CM spot for either Cameron or Holden, and also making it a lot easier to find a roster spot for Mix. Moving Edu there keeps a quality, very versatile player in the squad who may be getting squeezed out at his primary position.

Another point--if we have at least two of Cameron/Edu/Parkhurst in the squad primarily to play CM or RB, then we can probably get away with bringing just three dedicated CBs (Gonzo/Besler/???), which will free up a roster spot somewhere else.

I'm not saying pen either of these guys in to start at Brazil at a position they've never really played. But I think both guys have the potential to excel at RB, so why not give it a shot?? I'm thinking something like this:

-------------------------------Howard----------------------------------
    -----Edu/JJ---------Gonzales----Besler---------F. Johnson----------
    -----------------------Bradley---Cam/Holden-------------------------
    ------XX------------------Dempsey------------------LD---------------
    ------------------------------Jozy---------------------------------------

The XX spot at RM could be any of Holden, Zusi, Mix, Corona, Bedoya, EJ, Agudelo, Chandler, Johannsson, or Donovan (with either Fabian at LM and DMB at LB or, if he steps it up over the next 10 months, Shea at LM).