Zusi as a right back? Corona?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drdi, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    You mean like JK did to start that winning streak with Evans?

And since roster changes are idiotic on a winning streak, i guess that means Ld stays on the B team....

2. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    You know Evans plays in the back with some regularity, right? How about Zusi and Corona. Oh, no? And the "roster changes are idiotic" strawman. I see what you did there!

3. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    lol, seeing how half the winning streak is with the "B" team. In any case, I'm not sure why some of these fans are seeing the "A" team as some kind of static thing that shouldn't be messed with. We haven't used the same lineup in any game due to injuries, yellow card suspensions and so on. Cameron came in to spell Jones and Zusi missed the Panama game. Against Honduras Beasley was suspended.

I'm skeptical that Zusi would work at right back myself, but I'm also fairly confident that we won't roll out the same lineup in Costa Rica that we did vs. Honduras. With everyone healthy, in good form and injury free maybe there is a definate first choice 11. But that's rarely the case so pretty much hypothetical anyway.

4. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Saying that moving Zusi or Corona to the back line is laughable is a far cry from advocating for a static lineup. You see how the poster you responded to set up that strawman, right?

5. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Yeah, I only skimmed the thread, so I'm sure you are right. To me Zusi or Corona ar right back seems like a sort of desperation move if we really were out of options there. My thought is that they may well see the field, even if they aren't a hypothetical first choice 11, simply because of the dynamic nature of the lineup. I assumed that the whole exercise was about finding a way to get Zusi and/or Corona on the pitch since it would seem clear that we have better options at right back, even if we don't get Chandler or Cherundolo back. I'd assume we'd see Evans, Cameron, Fabian Johnson and Parkhurst well before Zusi was thrown in at right back as a stop gap.

dcole repped this.
  6. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    It was less a straw man and more an exagerated example to demonstrate the flaw in logic.

This streak will not keep jk from trying to improve the roster. Zusi at rb may be a bad idea, but Evans use demonstrstes its not crazy or idiotic- which some were implyimg

Again too much focus on "position" and not roles.

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Is evans that much bette at rb than zusi?

And evans beat out all competitors in camp.

- ppl really need to let go of the fools gold of chandler. He not committed and not that good.-

8. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
  9. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  10. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Leave corona out - i think that is a horrible idea

Zusi brings technical ability, far superior crossing, and vision to the role.

What elements do you think make evans superior? 1 v 1 defending? Pace,? Postiming acumen?

I would think all would be possible for Zusi to do well at and many better. Just a thought

The idea that they play a "postion" at the club level that makes them unable to play a differemt role for the natiomal team is faulty. Zusi's role for the national team is nothing like his role for his club team

All youre doing is putting. Players in boxes - thats not true soccer mntality

11. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
  12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your going to cram a midfielder into round hole just go get DeAndre Yedlin and cut him loose.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  13. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Its not really craming a midfielder in a round hole. -sigh-

Its identifying the role and its pieces and determing who best fits

1 v 1 defending
    Positining savvy
    Composure on the ball
    High technical ability
    Smooth consistent passing ability
    Strong crossing ability
    Pace
    High soccer IQ
    Comfort under pressure
    Winger mentality

That may not fit zusi
    It doesnt fit corona

BUT ITS NOT ABOUT PUTTING PLAYERS IN BOXES

Its about determining who best fits the roles and is asked to do thos things (not play a position) regularly for their club

14. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Yall drive me crazy with these boxed in positions. You do realize Beasely primarily played midfield throughout his csreer. Castillo plsys in the midfield for his club and Yedlin whobyou love so muchvwasxa midfielder until Porter saw his potrntial as a rb

Positions are temp and meaningless in soccer

Celo's Bicycle repped this.
  15. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Maybe. But is he that good as a defender both in his positioning and defending players coming at him? Those are going to be the key roles for our right back particularly at the World Cup. I for one am nervous enough about Beasley's defensive capabilities, such that if he is our left back, we'll need three strong defenders to compensate. Beasely relies too much on his recovery speed, as has been mentioned. I'd be very concerned that at best, with Zusi, you get Beasley minus the speed when it comes to his defensive responsibilities.

Pragidealist repped this.
  16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    These are much better questions. It also depends on whi the dmid is and how much you want him howkding to cover

I think beasely has looked vry good at lb recently

17. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't completely leave out considering fabian johnson as an option. I like him at LB or LW, but i think he's versatile enough that he could probably play RB pretty well.

With that being said, I am kinda hoping Parkhurst keeps growing in the role. He looked very good in the el salvador game, and one of my big concerns with him before this gold cup was if he was going to be able to get forward enough. I thought he always looked solid defensively, but i never really felt he could provide in the attack. If he can build off the el salvador game and keep getting better, I'll start becoming a believer.

18. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Evans beat out parkhurst. Cameron beat out parkhurst. Play against minnows where his best competion is a mls player who never gets a minute

Im not sold on parkhurst at all

morange92 repped this.
  19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think it's funny that we have THREE right backs playing in one of the best leagues in the world (two starters) and yet we are contemplating using Evans or another midfielder instead in that role for the World Cup.

I will be watching the Bundesliga with keen interest this season.

(Figuratively speaking, since I can't get GolTV on Dish) :mad:

20. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is only a matter of time. Whoever gets the spot in the short term is just keeping it warm.

21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fundamental soccer principles will always trump position, system and formation. But you overstate your case by saying these things are meaningless. These things provide overall structure, and are, therfore, important.

22. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I dont think so. The position name is meaningless much like the numve system.

The structure in soccer is much more about roles, skillsets to fit those roles, and the structure the interactive roles create.

Thats very different to position names- which are pretty meaningless. A lb position in one system may be simialr to a lm in another or very different.
    Or a lb may be more similsr to a cb. The roles and corresponding skilllsets are more important than the the position name.

Torres and zusi play attacking mid very differently. As do dempsey or brek shea. I would never think that the roles corona or dempsey play would fit in JKs left back. But shea, watt, zusi all play a role that is similar to a wing back in mwmy aspects

The roles are paramount. The position name is useless

23. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i can think of two: cherundolo and chandler i believe

who's the 3rd RB?

24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's a fair point. I guess at this point i'm open to anything, really not a clear cut solution there (chandler is the only one i feel has upside, but he hasn't looked good on the NT lately and i still feel like he and jk have things to smooth over)

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there a bunch of better options at RB than Zusi or Corona.

In no particular order: Cherundolo, Chandler, F. Johnson, Parkhurst, Spector, Lichaj, Danny Williams, Orozco-Fiscal.

By the way, I don't think Zusi (or Corona) are in our "Best XI" so playing them out of position makes next to no sense.

EDIT: In point of fact, Lichaj has not even gotten a call, much less a cap, in the JK era.