Zusi as a right back? Corona?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by drdi, Jul 22, 2013.

1. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, we are in trouble to get very good right back defenders
    to the left spot i still have no answer but...
    zusi defends really well, has great individual technique, can perfectly attack with ease and danger..he only lacks some frame but...with landon donovan as our right winger...better than evans or cameron, probably...
    joe corona also has also the quality to be a very good RB...
    just some thinking...

2. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Corona seems a little slow to be putting at outside back. I really like his game and he's had a good tournament, but that position doesn't suit his skill set.

3. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I'm having a feeling that I read this before...

MadRHatter repped this.
  4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Me too.

Anybody remember Eddie Lewis?

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  5. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

No, I mean I asked nearly the exact same question in a thread posted 20 minitues before this one.

Not about corona- I think thats a bad fit. But I think Zusi could be moved to RB to keep him in the starting 11.

The outside backs are more wingers in this system and that suits Zusi well.

6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of cramming players into roles they are unsuited for in order to get our "best XI" on the field. My sincere hope is that an actual right back will be manning the position in 2014, whether it be Cherundolo, Chandler, Parkhurst, Lichaj or an emerging young player.

As for the players you mention, I suppose Zusi would be preferable to Corona. Zusi can send in good crosses and he tracks back well. He'd fit the model of "well if Brad Evans can do it, why not?" But I still don't think it's the best idea.

7. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I think it depends on if you see them as positions or roles. Position-wise- I agree with you. Role-wise. Its a very similar role with a few differences. I don't believe in cramming talented players into unfamiliar roles just have them on the field.

Its about the fit of the roles on the team. I think Zusi fits that role pretty well. Otherwise I wouldn't suggest it. Similarly, I wouldn't suggest Corona at RB. Their skill sets and roles are quite different.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Two major issues a career midfielder has to deal with when being put on the back line.

1) Consistently having to defend without support behind you.

2) Co-ordinating the offside trap with the other three guys on the line.

The second part is the hardest to get used to. I don't totally disagree with your assessment as to whether Zusi can get up the wing on and cross and provide an outlet to the 6 and provide some physical tenacity on defense, but those two jobs mentioned above take some getting used to.

Winoman, russ, Wessoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    I agree. Zusi is smart player. If he can make that transition, I think it would be a large boost for the team.

The question is can Zusi grasp those things quicker than players like Yedlin, Parkhurst the other aspects of the game.

10. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    This is a bad idea. It's strange how a guy who was consistently dumped on here (Zusi), has a few middling games in which he happened to make a single positive play (cross) and all of a sudden he becomes indispensable. I love his defensive commitment and average but passable technicality, but Zusi is no standout.

MadRHatter repped this.
  11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Zusi is a lock at right mid and there are plenty of options at right back including Lichaj, Chandler, Parkhurst, and Cherundolo not to mention MLS options like Yedlin and Wynne.

The tournament is year away. On or two these player should be in form and playing at the right level.

12. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

He is not a lock at right mid. JK is going to work to fit in both Dempsey and Donovan. You could go with an attacking midfield of Donovan, Dempsey, and Zusi. But so far JK's played both Donovan and Dempsey behind the central striker.

I think Beasely has made a case as a better LB than Fabian Johnson. That puts F.Johnson in the conversation as an attacking midfield. I think you have Jozy, Dempsey, and Donovan as all but locks as forwards.... the exact configuration and who plays where around that is very much open.

13. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

Lichaj, Yedlin, and Wynne didn't even make the b squad. I don't consider them an option. Yedlin may be the only possible due to his youth... Chandler isn't dependable and wasnt that great when he was here.

JK went with Evans as his starting RB during the qualifiers... thats all you have to see to know how open that position is right now.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Think JK is more about his system than trying to fit everyone on the field.

Beasley has proven serviceable a the lb position.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

I'm thinking of Camp Cupcake and beyond. There's time.

16. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

I don't disagree with that. Its why I think Zusi may fit that system better than Parkhurst or many of the other options. Technical quality, vision, and crossing all fit that role well.

17. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Not that much. I think you want your primary 23 that you tinker with. But from a year out, you really want it to be about compeition between your 1's and 2's- not bringing new guys into camp. There just isn't THAT much time.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Only Yedlin is truly a new guy. The rest are vets or have already had time with Klinsmann.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, let's try Zusi and Corona at RB before a guy like Lichaj.

BTW, I'd say Lichaj did better as a fullback in the tougher 2011 GC than either Beasley or Parkhurst are doing in this GC. And, Lichaj looks like he'll be getting a good amount of playing time this year.

But let's continue ignoring that and instead attempt to play two CM's, since that's what Zusi and Corona really are, at RB. I'm not even sure what to make of the statement that Zusi has great individual technique and can perfectly attack with ease and danger. That's not the Zusi I've seen, who probably would struggle to beat by grandmother 1v1 due to complete lack of pace. Yedlin is more of an attacker. Zusi relies on pockets/windows to put in crosses. Attacking with the dribble isn't his game.

20. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Not really.
    Lichaj- almost none
    Chandler- he hasn't been here.
    Wynne- almost none

Yedlin is the only one of those four that I could see taking a step. If JK follows form though on young players, he needs a few call ups where he doesn't play much. That hasn't happened.

21. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

The RB in this system attacks with passes and finding those spaces.. not 1 v 1.

I get that many on here rate Lichaj- but JK doesn't seem to. I can't remember the last time he was even called up- much less got any playing time. For whatever reason.

I think WAAY too many people see soccer like american football or baseball where players play "positions" rather than roles. Roles are much more fluid.

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share your concern about RB but I'm not in favor of dropping Zusi or Corona back there.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

You misread the quote.
    Lichaj has been a senior pro for over 5 years.
    Chandler has gotten caps with Klinsmann and has played whenever available.
    Wynne has been a pro for 7 years.

24. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010

That's cool. I'm not really advocating for it as curious about it. Corona- no. Zusi- he is intriguing for me because he fits most of that role.

But most is not all. *shrugs*

25. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    None of that indicates any of them are going to take the starting rb position for all the reasons I've already said.