Zlatan

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by crookeddy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    That sounds good, but perhaps if that was a hard rule, the league would not have had Seattle and Atlanta in the league. Would that be good?

barroldinho repped this.
  2. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Um... yeah... F seattle and atlanta.

Seriously though, the league should have insisted they build their own stadiums before admittance. Same with nycfc.

WarGalaxy and FlapJack repped this.
  3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I am so glad you are not running the league.

Baysider repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch. Haven't seen an ASG in about 10 years in any sport. But this one is particularly meh because I have already seen LAG beat Juve in an equivalent friendly. Noted that the so-called all stars couldn't do what LAG had already done.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I recorded the All Stars game and deleted it moments in when he said ' Ibrahimovic won't play he withdrew from the squad ... '

The Cadaver repped this.
  6. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that was a given. So, if MLS instituted a hard and fast rule that all teams must play on natural grass next season, do you think Seattle and Atlanta would leave and join NASL?

8. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    It's not just those two teams, Vancouver, Portland and New England also have turf fields. I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

9. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS knew exactly what it was getting in Seattle and Atlanta, and so accepted the surface as part of the devil's bargain. Pretty hard to change the rules after the fact. This is on the league as much as it is on the teams.

hav77, barroldinho and 73Bruin repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Honestly think MLS should suspend Zlatan for like 10 games for his "I come from the real world" comment. Can't let him shit on the league like this. When Zlatan talks, people listen. Millions of people will now not give the league a chance because of this big shit's verbal diarrhea.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    What have I missed ?!

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Apparently not, given these comments.

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    With his EGO he'd want to showcase himself in that All Stars game though ??
    None of this makes sense

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    He comes from the "real world" where all star games don't exist.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    But he's all about show and where better to show off .... As THE star of the All Stars !?!

Just can't see him wanting to miss that game ..

GalaxyOne repped this.
  18. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think that this will remain a mole hill. Lets face it the league is more concerned about marketing then it is the health of the players. The league took its pound of flesh from the Galaxy and I am quite sure they are not looking for further retribution. If anything they will continue to promote him and use him to draw crowds.

hav77, WarGalaxy, ragbone and 2 others repped this.
  19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I am mostly talking about the interview. The ASG snub is time served at this point. And mostly talking about "I came from the real world" comment. He basically called the league Mickey Mouse.

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you're reading something into it that isn't there.

I took his "real world" comment to be referring to the mindset of the people that would suspend him for refusing to risk injury and fatigue in the ASG.

This part of the quote says to me that he's absolutely taking the league seriously:

"It is what it is. I respect in the end, and I'm sorry for my teammates only that I could not help them in the game."

He made IMO a footballing decision. Given that we saw Gio half-arsing his performances prior to the World Cup and Jona declaring himself injured, we should be praising a guy who didn't want to disrupt the league campaign for a needless trip and stay in Atlanta for a game whose result is absolutely irrelevant.

Capt.Tsubasa, hav77, TitoTata and 4 others repped this.
  22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This also ties-in with my previous stated opinion on how ludicrous it is that we feel the need to have an ASG when time in the MLS schedule is already at a premium:

Ibrahimovic had played in three games in nine days for the Galaxy before the All-Star Game and pulled out of what would have been a cross-country trip to Atlanta, citing fatigue.

As a result, he then missed the Galaxy's only trip to Colorado this season, disappointing local fans who hoped to see one of the league's marquee players.

Thinking about it like that, "They're not in the real world" would be an understandable statement.

hav77 and 73Bruin repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    We can get rid of the All Star Game, but then MLS Cup would need to go back to being a neutral site. We can create a week long All Star break, but then each team would have to play an additional midweek game. We can play the ASG the week before MLS Cup, but then we won't get an international opponent and also it's an international break day. We can play it after MLS Cup, but that would be extremely anti-climatic (like the NFL's Pro Bowl) We can get rid of it altogether and pretend like the league doesn't need the marketing...

None of those things are appealing.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    How is it a footballing decision? Did he need the rest from the ASG so he could play in Colorado, which he couldn't do because he got suspended?

25. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    turf

WarGalaxy and TrickHog repped this.