Zizzo, Dolo: H96 vs Bayern München [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by 96Squig, Sep 27, 2008.

1. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    24th Minute, Free kick Huszti, Goal!

Dolo playing, dunno if Zizzo is on the bench or not.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hannover can hold this result it would be amazing for their season.

5. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a final

1-0 Hannover holds on to beat Bayern Munich. Dolo goes 90' I think.

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, back on track, and, as a bonus, dipping Bayern further into crisis. Excellent!

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    hmmm.

should we start some vituperative insults of our fave coach klinsi? or should we cut him some slack? bs is not usually known for patience.

9. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I didn't see the game, this is good news for Stevie if he went the full 90' in a match where Hannover kept a clean sheet against Bayern Munich.

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He did. The whole defence was well today (as usual supported by an awesome Enke). I'd say it was the best game of the season both for the defence in general as well as for Cherundolo.

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Is it possible that Klinnsman is not a great coach? Has anyone considered this?

12. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How does that have an impact on Dolo's performance? Plus, he may not be a great coach (or propably isn't, he's a good leader, but the coaching of the German NT was done by Löw anyways), but Bayern still has a strong team with many good players, at least on the paper. Also, given Hannover's record so far, this was a tremendous succes.
    (I think Klinsmann should be discussed on the Bayern board, no?)

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or that Martin Vazques isn't an experienced assistant or, at best, no Löw?

Ya, I've considered it.

Klinsmann should have brought someone else on board to be his Numero Dos.

14. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Wait, don't you constantly lambast the USSF for not handing this guy the entire program? Not to say I wouldn't have loved to see JK become our manager, but I certainly agree that it's always dangerous to allow a NT manager that has a 4-year cycle (most likely) to dictate policy from top-down. You've always seemed vehement in the idea that Sunil really bungled that because USSF wanted to maintain some semblance of control over the structure of US Soccer.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    But he had Buddha statues installed in their training center! BUDDHA STATUES!!

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    again, just as an aside before we return to the thread theme, but:

one of bs' favorite coaches (i wanted the guy to get the ussf job myself) just lost to two teams he should have beaten. one of the losses was a quite spectacular spanking. what do you think would have happened on these boards if bb had lost two games against teams he should have beaten?

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Judging anything in real life by the affect it would have had on BS is as insane a life plan as I could ever imagine.

That said, the club coach who has not lost two games he should have won is the club coach who has not coached for very long.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That's not possible. Don't be ridiculous. ;)

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Bradley had been one of:

1. a brilliant player at the highest international level and club levels:

2. a great head coach at club level

3. a coach who had taken the National Team to the semis of a major tournament(and no, Concacaf is not major)

I'd wager he'd be given a lot more rope on the forums.

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    point taken.

however,
    1. there is not much of a relationship between being a great player and being a great coach.

2. klinsi doesn't meet this requirement either.

3. as some have pointed out repeatedly, teams playing at home in the world cup usually do well. he (or low, whoever was the real coach) didn't do anything great.

the fact that bb doesn't get the breaks that klinsmann gets is a fact of soccer culture, but doesn't necessarily mean that klinsmann is a better coach. we still have to wait a few more months to have a klinsmann verdict.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Chances are he would ave brought a strong #2 to the job, just like he had done with Germany.

I assumed it was going to be Guido Buchwald, who quit his very successful gig in Japan right when the Klinsmann deal seemed imminent.

Buchwald and Klinsmann are both from Stuttgart and had played together under Beckenbauer in 1990.

Klinsmann is "failing" at a much higher level than Bradley.

That said, I thought that Klinsmann would have indeed brought an experienced #2 (not saying it would have definitely helped Bayern) with him to Munich.

Maybe he still will.

PS. On style - and granted, the Bavarians have a superior caliber of players than the US - his club looked very good compared to the Hitzfeld regime.

But sometimes you don't get the breaks and, when the other guy hits a perfect ball into the top corner, you shake his hand and move on.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm gonna be a dick here. :D

I always thought the posters saying it was OBVIOUS that JK was a great coach were just stupid star********ers. The man took the team that, in 2002, made the final of the world cup, and, at home, made the semifinal. Big deal.

There was NEVER any clear evidence that the man is a great coach. Or even a good coach.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why wouldn't the US just hire that #2, since you yourself admit JK can't do the job.

Yeah, I'm OD'ing on schadenfreude right now.

SUCK IT TREBEK!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It should also be pointed out that Klinsmann never had to qualify Germany for the World Cup, either, since they were automatically there as the host country.