Zinedine Zidane [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by patati, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Bergamister

The Bergamister New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well when it comes to proving if a certain country has weapons of mass distruction, your track record has not been that great so far...

2. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are ok with him getting the golden ball, however they should engrave his face on it so it can be called the golden headbutt...

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing was that Zidane is laughing as they turn and walk away with Materazzi jabbering the whole time. As he jogs past you can see Materazzi's lips moving and suddenly Zidane's face changes, he turns and...whamo. I really want to know what Materazzi said that turned Zidane around so quickly.

4. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    More and more media are saying it was about his sister being a whore. Maybe she is maybe she isn't, but that still is no reason to headbutt him, especially not if you are a player like him.

5. The Bergamister

Jan 14, 2004
    Bergamo and Brussels
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just for me to prove how ignorant you are? We'll stay on topic and I will prove you wrong on topic, don't worry!

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's give it to the guy that stunk it up during group play, missed a game because of suspension then was red carded in the final because of a stupid foul. Let's also start rumors about what was said between the two. I like your reasoning.

How about giving it to someone that played every minute and was absolutely superb in leading his team.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read this claim and a line from classic American cinema lept into my head.
    :D

8. johnslimjim

johnslimjim New Member

Jul 10, 2006
  9. Dallasburn428

Dallasburn428 New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Dante I'm just going to ignore your comments because they are clearly biased, and that's ok mine would be too if my team had won.

I'm glad he got the Golden ball and that his card didn't effect it, if we scroll back through the games MOST players will have a tarnish on them but that doesn't chage how they played. I think Zidane got it be he had the most DIRECT influence on his team, he showed up when it counted.

And if Materazzi did call his sister a whore I'm glad he took a headbutt, to me that's more low class then a headbutt anyday. Just because you can't defend him don't bring his family into the game.

10. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Personally, I don't think Zidane should get the Golden Ball because I DON'T THINK HE DESERVED IT. Is it because of his card, no? I was saying he shouldn't have gotten it even before the final was played. His play throughout the tournament was very good, but so excellent he deserves the title "player of the tournament?" Clearly not, there were definitely others, either Italians or not Italians, who were more deserving of the title.

11. BloodyRain

BloodyRain New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    It's about time someone had to guts to knock out that scumbag Materazzi.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you claim I'm biased?

13. Dallasburn428

Dallasburn428 New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    No doubt Cannavaro had an excellent World Cup, but we all know defense doesn't usually get the credit they deserve for one, and secondly I don't think he as direct an influence as Zidane. Also it is hard to give the Golden ball to someone not in the final. So yes I'm obviously biased as is everyone else, but at least I'm trying to look at both sides.

14. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    MrBo..DingsBums just listed all the stereotypes which narrow-minded Americans (NOTE: Iknow that they are in the minority, I don't want to say that all Americans are narrow-minded... Puh, that was close. Weiter im text) normally associate with all Europeans. And he seems to be one of them, but I could be wrong and couldn't care less. But he's definately an idiot, that's for sure...

15. Brendaninho

Brendaninho New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tampa
    Re: Zidane ???

I have also lived in many other cultures, and I am a first generation American. Frankly, the way you generalize Americans, I find offensive and prejudice and it is dishartening that someone that deals with multi cultures is this narrow minded to generalize Americans. Having also experienced other cultures, I disagree that other cultures find this behavior acceptable.

The answer to if it is acceptable in another culture is the simple answer to this question. If Zidane did this on the steets of Paris, would he be arrested?

I have read some of the french press reaction(translations) on this topic, and they do not agree with you, but they clearly echo the sentiments of my post.

"Leading sports daily L'Equipe, whose front-page headline was 'eternal regrets', condemned Zidane's act of violence.

'Zinedine,' they queried, 'the most difficult thing this morning is not to try to explain why Les Bleus, your Bleus, lost the final of the World Cup which they could have won, but to explain to millions of children around the world how you could let yourself go to the point of charging at and head-butting Marco Materazzi."

This is what I struggle with. Love this guy as a player, but I love the beautiful game more. Whatever the Italian said or did not say to him, and they may have disrespected him, but he should have had more respect for the game that has made him what he is, for this beautiful game, and for the fans and children that look up to him.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which it would be.
    Is that why you're so happy?
    Well actually it is more like a game every 4 days, but even so, that is still at most 2 games a week. Ah yes the travel. By plane. That makes it so tough.
    You do know that games in Europe require travel, and to different countries, and in moutains, and coastal areas right? As for his condition, it hasn't really hurt Youri all that much and he is 37.
    By the same token, how many MLS starters play in the USOC matches. SO that is a wash there. Way to show your ignorance, yet again.
    I think you may need to go back and review your statements. Most Euro players will play 2 or 3 matches a week. Yes the infamous temps.
    You have got to be kidding right? He is already match fit. Plus his skill level is far ahead of any MLS player right now.
    Wow, you can't be serious. MLS league matches are a joke. Unless you are in last place you already have your playoff ticket stamped. Just ask LA last year. They dog it all year then decide come playoff time to start playing and poof MLS Champs. Wow you really have no clue about MLS do you?
    What are you talking about? Ok lets compare Ivan Guerrero and Tony Sanneh from the Chicago Fire. One is from the US and has played maybe 90 mins since joing the Fire while the other from Honduras has played in every match for the Fire. Try again.
    So you are saying that the MLS reserves don't get paid (BTW you are wrong) and that they aren't talented. Way to speak highly of MLS bud.
    Ok name me a team anywhere in the world where you can dress more then 18 players for a match? MLS just as in other leagues allows you to chose your 18 from the whole roster. I have watched the Fire do this with Carr and Robinson all year. You have no idea how things work and it shows in this post.
    If these temps were such an advantage and these players couldn't handle the heat, then why didn't the US win WC94? Zidane would do just fine in the hot temps. I keep forgetting that Spain is in the artic and they never get temps in the 90's. :rolleyes:
    Well McBride did play in MLS, and he grew up a whole 57 miles North of where I currently live. Arlington Heights, Il is where he is from. As for what mid-league guys would do, you don't know. You are just sounding off what you think they would do. And I seriously doubt they would haul off and hit anyone. Haven't seen it yet in MLS and I have seen some serious elbows and other hard play.
    Those are everywhere, it doesn't help when some spazzo's who just don't grasp the reality of the US game spout off with ignorant remarks.
    Zidane was wrong no matter what was said. A physical attack is never going to be acceptable in a soccer match. As for Americans, there are alot who don't know much about soccer, then again there are quite a few who do know alot about the game. The down side is when the ignorant speak out their ass far more then the knowledgable ones.
    See again here you are wrong. I see MLS for what it currently is. I love the league. I used to goto Chicago Sting NASL, and MISL matches all the time when I was a kid and first started to play. I goto MLS matches when I can. The league is young and it is growing. Overall the level of play is getting better, but each team has a lack of depth. This showed last year in Copa Sud. with DCU. Our starting 11 and even 1 or 2 off the bench can play, but then there is a serious dropoff in talent level.

As for a player like Zidane, he could come in here and be the top player for the next 3-4 years easy. Recall that Preki at 41 was still a quality striker in MLS 2 seasons ago.

Those were friendlies and pre-season matches for those teams. BTW I was at the Fire v ACM match. What a fun match and the Fire certainly outplayed them. [​IMG]
    But those matches, well you still have to play both halves. And what happened to the MLS all star team in Madrid?
    But again this shows that there is a lack of depth in MLS.
    This will change in time. Right now MLS wants to survive and grow. With SSS on the way this will change. Besides with Adidas and Red Bull among others investing in the league, money will be there to improve the play. Bringing players like Zidane will help attendance among other things.
    But we don't compete in top club competitions and being able to compete isn't good enough.
    Does it matter what happened in 02? No. As for this WC. Who played in the final and who was at home? We played 1 good match out of 3.
    Go back and watch his play again. You do know he was a 3 time World Player of the year right? Or that he did wina WC in 98 and then got his team back to the final this cup right? Doubt we will see an MLS player do that anytime soon.
    Yeah cause a player like Zidane with all his knowledge and exp. couldn't possibly help develop an American Player right?
    Already answered.
    Lothar came over but didn't want to play, aside from that, I can not recall 1 World Class player who has come to MLS to play. Don't even talk about Landon like he is some star. He cried his way back home from Germany cause he couldn't hack it there. As for the rest, only Dempsey shows that he has something. And you know what? he will most likely end up in Europe, just like McBride, DMB, Gooch, etc... cause that is where better US players goto play. And not just for money, but because from all over the world that is where the best players go.
    Wow you really don't know anything about soccer do you? Djorkaeff has been solid and at 37 has been one of the only scoring threats for NYRB the last 2 seasons. As for Zidane, you must be living in fantasy land.
    Well I still say you have no clue about soccer and World Class players.

Old huh, kinda like Preki who at 41 was still running through MLS defenses like they weren't there?

17. triplesevn

triplesevn New Member

Jun 27, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So are we going to play hypocrite now and say Matz verbal actions are...part of the game? There was nothing wrong with it? Typical.....

They are both adults. If Matz acts like one, ZZ does too!!!!!! And the game most likely still finishes with Italy on top via PK's, unfortunately.

18. DaveyGorgeous

DaveyGorgeous Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Once again someone takes something and stretchs it beyond what was meant.

Because I say Zidane's actions were disgraceful, how does that in any way say that there is nothing wrong with Materazzi's actions? I've slammed him to in other threads if what is speculated turns out to be true. So you don't know what you're talking about... they're both a disgrace

19. sernks

sernks New Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Colorado
    You're no better. Very similar actually.

20. triplesevn

triplesevn New Member

Jun 27, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's too bad because I deal daily with thousands of Americans, who are pretty ignorant to the world. That's just a fact, so take it as you like.

I'm an American, born and raised, so are my parents and so on. But that doesn't change the fact that many Americans think the world revolves around us.

If you truly lived overseas, than you would have heard this at some point and time. The majority of people I meet daily, and when I lived overseas, think Amercians are selfish, ignorant, and disrespecting. That's why the world hates us. Bush and our Politics don't help either. I hate the fact we are thought of this way. Why was the USA bus the ONLY bus not carry our flag?
    I try to teach daily, the thousands of people I deal with, minor points that will help them and help our country gain more respect.

ie; try to learn at least 2 words in the visiting countries language. Be respectful. Ask if they speak English, before assuming so. And so on.
    We are learning still, I understand this. But think about the comments that are being made today on this forum. I believe I'm actually contributing to this converstation with something of real value. Unfortunately, things have to be said to understand it.

I've been in Rome, where ignorant Americans think they can act and behave as if it's their city. I've been in Paris, the same. In Germany, I was embarrassed as my German friends grit their teeth at my ignorant countryman, disrespecting their country.

Sorry if anyone feels offended. I was just making a point that I'm an American, who sees the bigger picture or at least I think I do. Culture is very different throughout the world. In Northern Africa, they saw ZZ's stamp in 98 on the Saudi player as a great sign. Nobody else did so, right?
    People from the Middle East do not tolerate disrespect towards family. I worked with Jordanians and Egyptians and I can assure you, they do not tolerate it. Whether it's sports or just out shopping and getting into an altercation.

My point to defending ZZ's reaction, which I believe was wrong and don't condone, is he comes from a culture where respect for family, country, and religion is held highly. I'm sure whatever Matz. said, fits into one of those three categories.

Again, I guess if you feel offended by my comments, you should just suck it up and pay no attention to it. Just like Zizou! It's apart of the game/discussion:rolleyes:

21. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Sure... the grass inside the box also made contact with Henry every time Henry came inside the box. I am not an Italian fan nor a French Fan ... I saw the replay that showed their backs and if there was a contact, it was in the subatomic level. Henry dove, End of Story.

22. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Saluting certain flags like the Confederate flag I the Spanish wave. Were they from Southern Spain or were they trying to make a statement of race. I think the latter. And actually I mentioned ignorance once in my post. If you read the entire post you would see that I was disputing this guys claim that all Americans are racist. Interesting that you focus on trifles like wether or not its United States, or the United States of America. (I personally believe "of America" is an indication the Continent this country can be found on but whatever) but you ignore the comment I made about the monkey noises, bannanas, antisemitism ect. That is "convenient" on your part.

To say Americans are more racists than Europeans is complete B.S. Sure we have are share of losers like the Klan over here but they are a small minority. Apparently you guys also have your share of losers. The only people that would say that "Americans are racists" are people who have never been here but I have seen pictures from the 1960's segregated south. And I still stand by that Europe is more Antisemitic than the United States.

This "stop racism" campaing was not started because of Americans. Nobody throws Bananas at Shaq unless you want to get your ass kicked by the fans around you. Heck, even our own Onyewu nearly got mobbed by a crowd of Belgian skinheads. But Dante, I don't have to explain this to you. You know all this already if you live in Europe.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see you specifically stated...

"The name of our country is not America it is the United States. America is the continent, North America to be precise. Its kind of ironic you are calling someone else ignorant even though you are displaying quite a bit of ignorance yourself."

And I called you out because you're chiding him for calling the US America and then say that it's the United States when in fact it's the United States of America.

Lastly, it was pretty convenient that I didn't talk about what Italian fans didn't do?

I never said they were, I never brought racism into the conversation.

Check out my location.

24. Brendaninho

Brendaninho New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Tampa

I have seen many of the things you speak of, but still do not prejudge ALL Americans. To say that respect for family, country adn religion is not held highly in the US is very prejudice. The US is comprised of many cultures. To say that the French regard family, country and religion more than Americans is very narrow minded. And to try to use that to defend ZZ's reaction is poor.

Fact is that the French media is condemning his actions, and they do not take the same position as you. Who are you to speak for their culture? If he did it in the steets of Paris, he would be arrested. Is part of the French culture to let down your team, leave them alone on the field, to not console your friends after a loss. No, it is just one man's poor choice. Don't make it about culture, because it is not. It is about a man, a man who made a big mistake, and that is it. No excuse. A man who made a huge mistake.

And nothing detracts from that. Trying to excuse him as a cultural issue does not. Trying to distract from what happened by attacking the American culture is a very weakly vailed attempt.

Bottom line. Your team lost. Zidane was a fool and what he did was unacceptable..BTW...how do you defend his actions if you think it is wrong..excusable or not, take a side. Stop using this as an excuse to bash Americans. You clearly have some pent up anger yourself to feel the need to take such an extreme stance that the French culture would condone his acts and to bash and blame the American culture for not understanding it. I'm sorry you have had some bad experiences with Americans abroad. I have too, and have had some bad experiences with Americans in the US, and with other nationalaties, but I do not lump them into one group with the bad ones. Or southerners, or north easterners, or whatever. But looked at objectively, most people, from most cultures and parts of the world know right vs wrong. And I think it fair to say that what ZZ did was wrong and that the vast majority of people from all cultures would agree, including the French, as evidense by their press.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of clueless...Preki was still effective, but not because he was running around anyone. :rolleyes: