Zimmerman to SV Kapfenberg (Austria) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by trudodyr, May 6, 2008.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Zimmerman to SV Kapfenberg (Austria)

With Twellman, I would not worry about his body, more his skill. He could hold the ball a lot better if he was more skillful. He has the heart of a lion... but average skill. Look at Crespo. He is not astonishing physically, but he is very skillful. THAT is what most yank players need more of. B

2. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Posted results in thread with no [R] despite YA gameday thread existed.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems like our other threads used to track a player's progress at his club have [R] in the title, so...

4. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For the record, Zimmerman has been playing mostly on the right side of midfield. This is according to the kid himself.

5. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Preston is started today for KSV against Ried. 0-0 right now, late first half.

6. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1-0 Kapfenberg, second half. Zimmerman with the assist.

7. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Make that 2-0. This would be a huge three points for Kapfenberg.

8. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Zimmerman subbed out in the 86th minute because of Rückenschmerzen, better known as back pain. Hopefully it's not too serious because Zimmerman seems to have locked down a starting spot. The win gives KSV a 3 point lead over Karnten for last place and the only relegation spot, assuming Karnten loses to RB Salzburg later.

9. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006

I have highlights from the game up: http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

From the highlights, it looks more of a right forward in 4-3-3 type of formation or a really aggressive wingplay because he is spending a lot of time on the penalty box area.

He's been looking good too.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, hopefully he does well enough to get out of the Austrian Bundesliga.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's not even 20 yet.

13. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predictably enough, Kapfenberg is getting manhandled by RB Salzburg 6-1 right now, 58th minute or so. On the plus side, Zimmerman's starting, so that Rückenschmerzen must not have been serious.

14. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and I'm glad he's cashing in if that is indeed the case, but the Austrian Bundesliga is not even on the level of MLS. If he is not making some decent money and doesn't get offers to move on within 18 months or so, he should think about going home to play.

15. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
    Ended 7-3. Brutal. As Pagefan mentioned, it is still good news that he is starting. I believe this is the third game in a row that he has started. Good news for him there. Unfortunately, Preston wasn't able to get one of those 3 goals. highlights of the game are up: http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

16. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Slow the **** down. The kid's just now unpacked his suitcase and you already want him to move on?

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What level is MLS level?

Panama?

T&T?

There are a lot of places between Kapfenberg and MLS.

The Austrian B-Liga is ~ high B-liga II quality and playing there in one's early 20's ain't the worst sin.

And the money is better to boot.

I believe HSV has a buy-back clause but, regardless, Austria is a satisfactory intermediate step in one's career.

Preston is starting at 19 and getting valuable experienc. If he doesn't turn into anything more than a career Austrian league player, then it's probably his limit.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Many Austrians have a very different view. They see the main reason for the total stagnation of the national team in the horrible quality of their league, and the fact that many talented young players stayed too long in their Bundesliga, and never developed to a higher level. After the good performance at the last U20 world cup, almost everyone hoped that the players would leave Austria as soon as possible, and become quality players in a better league.
    I don't think that the level is high Bundesliga II quality, some comparisons indicate it is worse. Take Steffen Hofmann, the superstar of the Austrian league; 19 goals and 54 assists in 87 games in Austria; he was a total flop at 1860 in Bundesliga II, and went back to Austria after 6 months. Or Stefan Maierhofer, made redundant in Fürth in Bundesliga II for a lack of quality; top striker in Vienna with 7 goals in 12 games.

The Austrian Bundesliga is a good place for aging players to make some money in a league with a lower tempo; it is no very good place for a young player to develop.
    They will go down from #20 to #25 in the UEFA country ranking next year.

19. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What I'm screaming.

I mean, I only live in Austria, but don't mind me. Just assume I am attacking the kid for no good reason. The fact is that he not only went to an Austrian team, he went to a team that was only promoted to the BL for this season and is wallowing at the bottom of the league. Most of the best young Austrian prospects are already with clubs outside of Austria by the time they are 18 or so. The Austrians have absolutely no problem with this because they harbor no illusions about the quality of their league. It is not as good as the BL II, Belgium, MLS, or any number of other leagues. It is, in fact, quite a bad league that exists only as a springboard from guys transitioning from the Balkans to the bigger leagues in Western Europe and they don't even land so many of those anymore.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Austrians, much like all Germans, are naturally pessimistic.

If they think their own league sucks, it must suck slightly less than what they think.

But, off the highlights (including last year's Jaqua clips), the movement off the ball and combination play is superior to MLS.

I assume MLS is superior athletically.

Comparing player here vs. the same player there is acceptable if a large sample exists.

So far, Nate Jaqua did as well in A/B-liga with Altach as he had done in the MLS while Joseph Ngwenya, who scored 7 goals for Houston in 2007, couldn't get off the bench at Kärnten.

So, that's one for and one against.

21. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Hoffer, Veli Kavlak, and Rubin Okotie beg to differ.

22. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and gaving seen them, I don't think any of them will ever be counted as greats either in the annals of Austrian players or among contemporary world stars. Hoffer and Kavlak are OK but aren't even fully integrated into a weak national team and Okotie isn't nearly as good as he was made to look against the U.S. U-20s in Austria. The majority of the Austrian national team plays abroad and with good reason.

23. sturmgraz32

sturmgraz32 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    St. Louis
    Club:
    SK Sturm Graz
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best teams in Austria are better than the best teams in the MLS. Rapid, Salzburg, Sturm, and Austria Wien are better than any of the teams in the mls in my opinion, and i've seen enough of both leagues to be a pretty fair judge. No player from the NCAA could just step into the bundesliga here and be a starter like they do in the MLS. that would be a pretty big deal to step up from being about 4th division quality player here to all the sudden becoming a bundesliga player. the mls has some good players who they pay a lot of money, but the quality of your average player in the MLS is not as good as it is in the austrian league.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    who steps from NCAA into a starting position in MLS?

25. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I will give you Rapid and Salzburg, but I think it is pretty much all downhill after that. Teams like Houston, Chicago and Columbus would do very well in Austria.