Zimmerman to HSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by kwdawson, Dec 4, 2005.

1. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    So any American can get a work permit regardless of the job in the above countries?

2. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Yanks have no special benefits allowing us to get work permits in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Australia (though we can work in Australia for 3 months I believe).

I'm not sure about NZ and Japan but I would assume those work the same.

We can get a work permit if we are transferred to the above named countries for work, or if we get a job where the company is willing to prove that they cannot find similar quality employees existing in the country (such as an IT shortage, etc).

On a side note, Norway and Iceland have some of the toughest immigration rules in the world (much like Sweden).

3. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If our women were as hot as their's, I would lobby for much tougher immigration rules as well! :D

4. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are so right about that. Iceland has the most beautiful women in the world. All those Viking raids-- they only hauled off the good-looking ones (actually a fact, not just senseless male twaddle).

5. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Not sure this is the right forum to ask this but, here goes:

My wife was born in Germany (her dad was stationed there with the U.S. Army). Looking into my crystal ball, I see that my son, now 4, will become an exceptional soccer player. Would he be able to attain the appropriate paperwork to play in Germany based on his mother's place of birth?

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Sounds like you might have the second coming of Giuseppi Rossi on your hands...

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He can play in Germany but not as a German/EU passport holder.

And he'll count against the foreign (non-EU) player limit.

8. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Well, crud. Thought I had a winner there for a second.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I actually meant that citizens of those countries have a special status in Germany. Citizens from Norway and Iceland do not need a work permit at all in Germany, for example.

For US citizens it's at least much easier to get a WP in Germany then for citizens from other countries (except those already mentioned by me, of course). I have to admit that I'm not really sure about the situation in normal jobs, but in sports it's definitely the case that US players have a special status (e.g. Regionalliga clubs are actually not allowed to sign non-EU players anymore, except those who are citizens of the countries I mentioned - a player from Cameroon or Brazil couldn't sign for a Regionalliga club anymore, but Americans or Australians can).

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    See post above ;)

I fear that not even your wife could play for Germany ;).

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Is that right?

How come? Because, after their careers are over, the Yanks do go home?

12. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The reason is basically to have more German players play on the teams. Because of this non-EU players do not get work permits to play professionaly in the Regionalliga (or below) anymore (unless they already live in Germany, e.g. a player who was signed by a 2. Bundesliga club can play in the Regionalliga if his club gets relegated for example - or have a contract with a Bundesliga club, e.g. players who play for a Bundesliga reserve side).

This does not affect players from countries who have special treaties with Germany, e.g. Norway. The US and Canada are among those countries, but don't ask me what the specific reasons for the single countries are (the reason for Norway etc. is that they are EEC members).

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  14. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Nice work, bluedaddy, way to follow the story.

Looks like Hamburg are a lot higher on this kid than many BS posters were.

If they can't work anything out soon -- which seems probable -- what would Zimmer be doing soccerwise for the next year?

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    After seeing the quotes this afternoon this one stood out to me...
    Ouch, MLS will be thrilled to see this.

16. LSDFireFan

LSDFireFan Member

Sep 4, 2002
    The exact same thought crossed my mind when I read that quote.

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sfs should chime in soon.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Not to quote too much from the article, please read it but that ^^ is very interesting!

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i just wrote it up, reporting credit should go to ohk4

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Harris, take a bow.

Not that anyone recalls that but I was not all that impressed with Preston at the U-17s, though the kid definitely brought his lunch bucket to work, very much like Brian McBride. So I am not sure what his upside is but I'll defer to Hamburg's director of scouting on this one.

Right, this is the reason to limit the number of foreign players. Now, I happen to think it's utterly moronic rule because I know some of the reasons for this was Völler's whining about not having any more good young German players.

Voila, Klinsmann replaces him and die Mannschaft is full of 19-21 year olds. Meanwhile, the Bundesliga teams are forcerd to bid on the UEFA players which are in a greater demand since most EU nations have similar restrictions.

Norway is under the Schengen Accord but, even if it hadn't been, Bundesliga is counting all UEFA players - including those in the non-EU nations - to count as German/EU members. So, this opens up the Serbians, the Bulgarians, the Romanians, the Ukrainians and so forth to come into the league unimpeded.

I have long assumed that, much like the Asians or the South Americans, the Yanks were also deemed the "non-EU foreigners". If it's not so - and from Greg's and Harris' article, it certainly appears to be that - I'd like to find out for sure.

Gentlemen?

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

correct

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I mentioned Ruud earlier only half-jokingly. Zimmerman reminds me most of Ruud- and I think he could be successful at high levels as an inside the box poacher-type who uses his strength/hips + shimmy to create space, and quickly shoot-score.

From my viewings- he is not a great open field player, nor all that fast. But very interesting in small spaces, and seems to have a very good eye for goal (instinct).

If, indeed, Hamburg would want to play him w/Feilhaber's group immediately- that speaks volumes IMO.

At the end of the day, its about numbers. Who knows which of our young talents will really break up and out- (some, obviously, look stronger candidates than others), but the more numbers we got in such programs- the better a shot that we will have a strong Nat team in future.

I hope he goes to Hamburg.

23. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I was actually more impressed with him than anyone else besides Sarkodie and Alston. His speed is fine (not remarkable but good enough), he can score numerous ways effeciently, passes well, runs all day, and I thought he passed well. His scoring rate is very good and seems to be getting better. Had the US any service in the U17 games, I think that he would have had more a chance to have been a star. Farfan and the wings just did not come through with the necessary crosses.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I agree- he can be a clever passer.

But I think he 'raison d'etre' will be his strength in poaching, and creating in tight spaces in the final 20...not because he is strong from 50 to 20 yards before goal. We'll see.

25. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003
    MLS never had a chance on him anyways. He made that choice last year by not going into the draft and committing to Duke. :)

I'm a big supporter of him, but I've also seen his abilities up close in many games. He is fantastic anywhere aorund the 18 at putting shots on frame, and getting his shot off in tight spaces. Give him an inch and he'll make you pay.

For now though....looks like he'll be heading to Duke if things don't get worked all the way out. :rolleyes: