Zimmerman signs with Hamburg - will join in 2007

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by The Greatest, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for being the first to get that explanation out to the masses.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Uwe Seeler notwithsdanding, these days it's Puma. (Seeler has been a long time Adidas employee/pitchman and an HSV idol).

Mmmmmmmmm ... burger.

3. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Boy - American youngster Preston Zimmerman will transfer to HSV on January 1, 2007. The 17-year old center forward from the IMG Soccer Academy will play in the Regionalliga (third division - HSV reserve team).

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zimmerman signs with Hamburg

Yes, but surely playing regularly in USL1 is better than sitting out for all of 2006 while he's waiting to go to Germany... just like MLS, I don't think any college team would want him if he's gone in a year.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

He's not going to sit anywhere, that would be really bad. But he doesn't want to get injured either.......

6. Squash

Squash Member

Mar 8, 2003

He will be training with the team in germany...training a full year will only help him make the smooth transition. MLS = never or maybe when he's ready to retire from a real league, like many of the europeans do.:eek:

I'm not sure playing college is even a thought now...just a thought:rolleyes:

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Give it a rest Squash. The kid is a very good player. We are all excited for him. He could also get Rolfed in a year or two as well.

I hope he is not an arrogant person and just made a simple decision. I would hate to lose a player of his considerable talent to arrogance. Believe it or not, Zimmerman WILL GET serious competition from players his age group in MLS.

8. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999

Regionalliga is a lower level than MLS, actually.
    If Zimmerman's making decisions based on that sort of vanity, I imagine he's in for a pretty rude awakening. From what I've seen of him, he's a very good prospect - but the odds are still against him getting serious playing time in the Bundesliga anytime soon, and it's hardly certain that he ever will.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where does it say he'll be training with the team? I thought the article said he would join the team on Jan. 1, 2007...

10. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Elninho wrote: "Where does it say he'll be training with the team? I thought the article said he would join the team on Jan. 1, 2007..."

aww man, where is the love?! :)

Let's try it again:

Some basic facts are on here for those interested.

http://tdsbeautifulgame.blogspot.com/

Also re deals - the endorsement deal is with Nike.

The reasons - other than style, which he talked about, the inference is that the money with Hamburg was quite a bit better, although I have no confirmation of that.

11. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

he will be in Germany training with Hamburg as long as his visa allows, then he will go home and get another visa and go back to Hamburg and train as long as it allows.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

But is it lower than MLS Reserves?

And, in either case, it must pay so much better.

Or, as some posted, he could take a weekend boat trip to Tallinn, get drunk off his behind, then come back to Hamburg on Monday with a "new" 3-month visa.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BTW, as some ppl seemed to be confused about it, the official phrase for someone who is from Habmburg (or plays at the HSV) in English and German is indeed 'Hamburger'.