Zidane

Discussion in 'France' started by Mengão86, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know an Englishmen that is totally obessed with everything France and most of all Zidane. I was just curious to see if you think Zidane was better than Platini or not? Where would you rank Zidane all-time amongst every player that has played the game?

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    That's tough. I mean Zidane single-handedly won the WC final for France and is a midfield genius. But Platini, he had so many qualities...goal scorer, amazing ball handling, super-human free kicks.

I wouldn't be able to pick one over the other. We'll see after the next WC.

3. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    ARE YOU KDDING ME OR YOU JUST BEING IGNORANT ON PURPOSE. HOW DID ZIDANE SINGLEHANDEDLY WON THE WORLD CUP FOR FRANCE WHEN HE MISSED MOST OF THE TOURNAMENT DUE TO SUSPENSION OR INJURY. HE SCORE ONLY 2 GOALS IN THE TOURNAMENT. IT WAS THE DEFFENCE THAT WON IT FOR FRANCE AND DEFFENCE [THURAM]SCORED BOTH GOALS TO TAKE FRANCE FROM SEMI-FINALS TO FINALS. PLEASE DONT TRY TO CHANGE FACTS JUST TO SUIT UR BIASES BECAUSE PEOPLE MIGHT START BELIEVING YOU! HENRY'S 4 GOALS WAS MORE IMPORTANT IF YOU ASK ME!

4. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Too much coffee...:confused:

5. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hey, no need to yell and insult fellow BS members. Take a deep breath and chill, my man...

That being said, IMO, the Platini vs. Zidane comparison still favors Platini. If you're talking skills and vision of the game, that's a wash (same thing for defense: neither of them is/was very much inclined to go back in support of the defensive midfielders or the defenders when the other team has/had the ball--but then again that's not what is/was asked of them...).

I see two major factors that tip the scale towards Platini:

(1) He was a better goal scorer than Zidane. He could play center forward (and did on a couple of occasions; see French Cup final against Nice in 1978), and would have had a pretty good career at that position had he not been an out-of-this-world number 10.

(2) He singlehandedly won a major tournament for France, which Zidane never did (agree with Elado here). Platini dominated Euro 1984 like no other player ever dominated a world-class tournament (yes, not even Pele in 1970 or Maradona in 1986). He was simply in a class of his own--and not just because he scored 9 goals (in just 5 games), but because he directed every single offensive phase for France. To this day, Euro 1984 remains one of my best soccer memories--a true soccer genius at work...

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    IMHO Zidane eclipsed Platini years ago, and look at the team that I support!

Zidane is now in the Maradona and Pele conversation as 1 of the best 3 ever. Platini was no chopped liver either. Comparing goal scoring prowess is unfair, because they both play the game differently.

7. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said Zidane single-handedly won a WC "final".

8. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    thanks for sticking up for me guys

*sniff*

9. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    look which NT he supports. he's still traumatized by Zizou. wouldn't you be?

:D

10. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    tehe brazilians have it in for Zizou. most of them i have come across anyway.
    i suppose they have a case though, they were favs for the WC98, got to the final and ; bang, zizou 1-0
    bang zizou 2-0 :D:D

shame

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  12. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hey, this is all a matter of personal opinion, so it would be very presomptuous on my part to say you are wrong... And I would definitely agree that Zidane is one of the most talented players of his generation.

The problem is Zidane is playing in an era of overexposure for soccer--an era when highlights have become the daily dose of all fans. The Platini years were a lot different. If you were in France in those years, you caught him on TV when he played for the French national team and then European Cup matches with Saint-Etienne, but that was it... Outside of France, forget it... There was no way people in Brasil, England or Germany could have any idea of Platini's greatness (it did change a little when he moved from Saint-Etienne to Juventus though...)

I'm convinced though that any neutral observer who has lived through both the Platini years and the Zidane years (like I have) and was doing their best to catch any Platini game/highlight you could catch on French TV in the late 70s/early to mid-80s (like I was) would give the edge to Platini.

Between 1981 and 1986 Platini was the best player there was in the world by far, even though the world was in no position to recognize this because of a lack of exposure of his club games and his national team games--despite the great 1982-1986 run (two semis of the World Cup and one European championship), France was still a soccer underdog back then and didn't get the international recognition Brasil, Argentina, Holland, Germany or Italy were getting at the time.

Platini's performance at Euro 1984 was simply mind blowing--unfortunately the world wasn't watching... If any player these days dominated a tournament like Platini dominated Euro 1984, they'd get the "best player that ever lived" label in a split second (yes, over Pele and Maradona)...

Zidane hasn't done half of what Platini did back then, but what he has done, he has done in an era of overexposure for soccer, which explains why so many people see him as the better player...

Personally, I remained convinced that alongside Pele and Maradona, Platini is in the top 3 for best soccer player of all times.

13. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    i understand your aguement, although dont necessarily belive it, but it does come down to personal opinion.
    one thing though, platini played in the era where it was not 'overexposed' as you call it, and you say thats why he isnt appreciated enough. but dont pele and maradona also come from an era before it was over exposed, and theyare still thought of higher than zizou

14. Allez

Allez New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    what are the Brasil fans saying something about Zidane here? picking bones from an egg

15. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    But wasn't Ronaldo poisoned? :rolleyes:

16. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    As an American, my opportunities to see the great players live at a stadium is limited. But having seen RM, AC Milan, Chelsea, Eng Nat team, Chivas, Bayern Munchen, ManU, Barca , Zidane seemed to be from a different planet. His football IQ, ball control, vision, command of the field was beyond what I thought was possible. I went to see Becks, Ronaldo, Figo,Owen, etc... But was truly astonsished by Z. I am eagerly looking forward to the Barca US tour to make a Ronaldinho comparison.

17. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    zizou in his peak shits on ronaldinho. im not sure when you saw zidane, but in his peak he was the dogs bollocks

18. AllezParisAllezPSG

AllezParisAllezPSG New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Manhattan, NY
    you think zidane was that better than ronaldhino... not so sure about that personally... i recommend watching the link below, my cousin sent it to me... compares zidane and ronaldhino, i think you'll all really like it... give it a min 2 upload and enjoy

http://www.koreus.com/files/200411/ronaldinho-vs-zidane.html

19. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    you cant really assess a player's worth from a comp video. but they're still fun to watch.

20. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, Zidane at his peak beats Ronaldinho. Not even close.

21. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Zidane vs. Platini discussion has always interested me, and frankly I can't decide which player was better, largely because it's been so long since I watched Platini play...

I do think that the "overexposure" concept has a lot of substance. It's true that in today's soccer a great player can't even blow his nose without footage of it being aired in 182 countries. In the 80's, televised games were few and far in between. In a way it still shocks me how much recognition Maradona gets, considering that the vast majority of his "genius" was expressed in a Napoli shirt, at a time when there was practically no such thing as televised Serie A and Napoli wasn't Real Madrid or Bayern Munich (sure, people know him from his time with Argentina, but then again, he wasn't much of a factor in '82, rocked the world in '86, and started tarnishing his image in '90, giving him all of one good WC for his career). The stuff Maradona did in an average Serie A match vs. Ascoli or Sampdoria was sickening enough, but virtually no one ever saw most of it.

I do tend to have a bias against today's players, largely because of the overexposure they get vs. how little substance they sometimes have (not referring to Zizou here...he had more than enough substance to throw around). So yeah, I would love to be able to sit down and carefully analyze footage, trends, tactics etc. to figure out which one of the two is the greatest French player of all time. Zidane also benefits from actually having brought a WC trophy home, but then you could argue that the WC had "better" teams in it in the '80's, so Platini shouldn't be criticized for not winning the trophy as the competition was presumibly better (as some might be inclined to say).

Anyway, just rambling out loud here...