zidane should retire

Discussion in 'France' started by crazyman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. crazyman

crazyman Member

Jan 3, 2006
    WestCoast
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think that zidane should retire bacause he is too old and let new and younger players play instead of him

2. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    You know I should really move this...

To the NT forum or the recycle bin?

Discuss.

3. realkevincn

realkevincn New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Vancouver
    I would be depressed to the change that there is no Zidane in the football world. He is old but i don't want him gone. I feel he still can do something even not as much as before. Maybe Ribery can release the burden of play making of Zidane.

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    This will be his last WC. France wont win the tournament but I think Zidane deserves enough respect to let him play and we'll see what happens. The next WC should be interesting with new and talented young players like Ribery.

5. Tony the French

Feb 28, 2002
    French Rivieria
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Eh Crazyman !! You're crazy, man !!

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    How about you retire, from posting.

If Zidane doesn't come out of retirement then France is watching the WC on their TV sets. The idea was to develop the youth under Domenech, but we all saw where that got us.

I say play the best players, I don't really care if they are 19 or 34.

7. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    This is the same Zizou that pulled a Pirouette on one of your young Chicavs defenders in Chicago last summer and the defender was still standing as this supposed old man blew by him and that was after Real Madrid was together for only four (4) days playing against a Chivas team which had just wrapped up their summer Mexican season and still in top condition. Matter of fact, he tore Chivas apart. Not like that's saying much.

Trust me, if Wenger could get him, he would be at your beloved Arsenal in a minute. He is still one the World's best players.

What younger players are you referring to who could play his role? I follow French football on a regular basis and I can't think of one.

Fonsos

8. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    France would have still qualified and won the group. It just would have meant that a few other players would have had to get their act together sooner.

Fonsos

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    At the moment only Ribery could fill Zidane's role, in terms of young players that is.

Would France have qualified? I saw the "yongsters" look aweful against Israel both home and away against Israel. Quite frankly things looked pretty bleak having to beat Ireland at Landsdowne for the first time in ages.

Was it just Zidane, probably not. But Zidane, Thuram, and Maka certainly made all the differenct together.

10. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    very questionable.

in any case, this thread merits the axe - nothing good will come out of it.

11. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    If he's good enough for Madrid (and he most certainly is) then he's good enough for the Frenchie national team. Yup, I did say that.

12. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Zidane is still capable. And yeah, he and Thuram are the ones who rescued France and helped them qualify.

With that in mind though, Zidane is really only capable of playing 60-70 minutes of football. It's really important for him to stay healthy for Madrid. He has to be in top shape. It's good to see him return to form, but to be honest, with the way Real have been playing lately, I think we might just end up seeing a worn out Zidane come the World Cup. That won't be good.

13. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    FWIW, I don't think France would have beaten us at Lansdowne Road without the returnees - Makelele controlled the area in front of the defence and Zidane occupied our entire defence and half of our midfield for the entire first half and some of the second. Without them (and Thuram in the defence) we would have been a lot more potent going forward, and a lot more secure at the back. Henry would have been paid much more attention.

Who knows how things would have turned out, but it's extremely presumptuous to say that Les Bleus would have won the group anyway when things were looking very rocky for them at that point.

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there are three levels to examine this at:

to put the best team on the pitch in blue, does zidane belong?

next question:rolleyes:

in terms of squad development, isn't it time to turn the page?

yes and no. the problem was that too many pages were turned too guickly: petit, pires, thuram, makalele, zidane... the turnover was too abrupt. let's hope that the returnees leave in good order after 2006.

lastly, the history part. now that zizou's back, he has to go into the breach. without being wildly optimistic, i think france's chances in germany are as good as almost anybody's if they play to potential.

15. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    any fan or team have player like zidane but dont want him play with him ..
    this is crazy think :)

he legend and legend stay legend ..

i know what you mean dear ..but france now dont have classic playmaker ..

maybe after 2years we can know repry or nasry by classic playmaker and by new zizo ..

thanks

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm with you on this Guignol..... We just haven't seen the play to potential yet. Can it all come together at once? Yes! We saw what happened in 98. All you can ask for is a shot, and I think France certainly has that.

17. crazyman

crazyman Member

Jan 3, 2006
    WestCoast
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    somebody is using my username?????

18. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
  20. navid90

navid90 New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Valencia, California
    u are suggesting that the france with pedretti(no offense to him) and mavuba were getting better results than the france with zidane? thats why were tying games b4 zidane came then he came and we started to win. and yet you believe we'de be better off without him?

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i think zidane should go play for the metro stars. put together history's greatest 11: pele, beckenbauer, maradona, platini, best (sure he's dead, so WHAT?) and with zidane as captain. i think they're chances of winning the MLS would be pretty good!

22. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    the spanish newspaper site www.as.com says zizou has told perez he wil retire after the world cup, and will carry on at madrid as a none-player abbasador role.

23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais