Zidane and Makelele to return for France. No joke this time.

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Aug 3, 2005.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bad news for us. We're f-ked.

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well I wouldn't say that... Ireland still have a great chance against France. But this will certainly make things a bit more difficult. Maka and Zidane bring big game composure, and won't get awed by 40,000 raging Ireland fans.... It should be a great match.

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So what was that game plan again? Don't worry too much about not pushing them too hard in Paris, because we'll take them in Dublin!

All fitting nicely into place, I see..................

5. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Still, if we get a draw against France in Dublin and win our final two matches, we still have a good chance of qualifying.

When does the Spanish league start?

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Our ************up against the Israelis is going to cost us qualification.

We should have smacked them home and away.

7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    just wanted to pop my head in and see what you lads were talking about. man, what i would give to be at the Dublin game. you local boys are lucky fockers.

8. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Well les Bleus:

------------Coupet--------------
    Thuram--Gallas--Silvestre--Lizarazu
    -------------Vieira---------------
    Giuly----------------------Rothen
    -------------Zidane--------------
    -------Trezegeut---Henry--------

Makalele, Zebina, Wiltord, Sagnol, Mexes, Pires-if he returns, Pedretti, Govou

See my point? :D

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, I think Vieria and Maka will play together, with Zidane given a floating midfielder role... France just got a lot tougher to beat.

10. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    Come on, I don't understand you guys, you've still got the Ireland-Switzerland game in Dublin. If you win it, you're almost sure to finish at the 2nd spot at least.
    Moreover, for us (the french), the most important game is the Switzerland game because winning in Ireland is always difficult, and it's the match against the Swiss which is our real objective.

11. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    As long as Silvestre and Barthez don't retire from int'l football I still fancy Ireland's chances ;)

12. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My understanding is that if we LOSE to France, beating the Swiss might still not be enough for second. I suppose it depends on the Swiss-France match and the Israel-Swiss match.

13. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Good, now Zidane and Maka can be introduced to the firm part of Roy Keane's elbow.

We are at home with 40,000 fans on our side, and France still is yet to show anyone they deserve to be in Germany 2006. Zidane and Makalele aren't going to help us win, but let's not write us off yet. What if they have absolutely no impact and we thrash the frogs 3-0?

Let's wait and see.

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    You seem to have forgotten that Trezeguet cannot play for France against Ireland. He was red carded in their last game against Israel.

15. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Fine Govou, Malouda,oooh replaces him. Malouda, he's got some pace and with Henry. Faster than Trezegeut.

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Gimme a break. You can't think that France won't miss a beat with Trezeguet out. To say they are even on beat is a stretch. Don't forget if not for his goal in Israel that game could have gone to the Israelis.

I am not one of those people who will conceed a game to these guys just because two of their best players are coming back. We are still in first place in the group, and are at home.

17. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    As you said before we'll see.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    If I may ask you are Serbian correct? Why are you so involved in the French defense?

19. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I don't consider myself involved, I just happen to have an opinion that the French will win.

20. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Why? Because to me the French are a better team and with Makalele back it just got a whole lot tougher to break the French down. He has stepped up his game this last year with Chelsea and that's the big addition. I don't see Zidane as much of a threat but that was before he disproved me at the end of last season and if Giuly is going down the right fland and Pires down the left I'm sorry but I just don't think the Irish have enough class to sustain that on top of Henry going direct. Matter of fact not too many teams in the world can stop that. My NT too can't stop that.

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    That is if Pires plays. Which he is yet to do since Domenech has taken over.

22. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Ok. Rothen. One of my other seriously favorite wingers in Ligue Un.

23. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Yeah, who's been badly off form for a while. Rothen won't start this game, although Pires probably won't either.
    France will play their Euro2K formation, although probably with Guily on the right, leaving Zidane, Vieira and Makelele as the other 3, Henry as the forward, and one of Wiltord (heh), Cisse, Malouda or Saha (double heh) as Henry's partner. I can't imagine them playing with a 4-5-1 since that would leave Henry alone up top.
    Isn't Barthez suspended for this game, btw, due to his spitting incident?
    I think seeing Evra at LB is as likely as seeing Lizarazu, although where Gallas/Silvestre/Thuram will play remains to be seen. For Ireland's sake, I would imagine they just want Mikael "Penalty" Silvestre on the pitch anywhere.........

24. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    he was excellent against hugary, and more recently against Metz last weekend.

25. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    merci, i thought i was the only one who kept up on his current form at PSG.