Zhang Jilong, acting AFC President

Discussion in 'China' started by ntg., May 31, 2011.

1. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    http://www.asianfootballfeast.com/?p=1625
    Zhang says AFC needs to “clean up and unite”

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 in NEWS by AFF Admin 0 Comments

By Zhang Bin – AFF Chinese Correspondent

The acting President of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), Zhang Jilong, said the AFC needs to “clean up and unite” during an interview with China’s Sina Sport.

Zhang, the AFC’s most senior Vice President, automatically takes charge in Mohamed Bin Hammam’s absence.

Earlier this year he ran for a seat on FIFA’s Executive Committee but lost in a vote at January’s AFC Congress in Doha. He was a key member of the 2008 Beijing Olympics organising committee and is also chairman of the OCA’s (Olympic Council of Asia) powerful Sports Committee and Director of the China International Sports Exchange Centre.

Chinese media have, in the past, given him the names “Hand of God” and “Brother Dragon” for allegedly convincing FIFA to change its rules for the 2002 World Cup qualifiers for the Asian zone, effectively putting China in an easier qualifying group which saw them qualify for their only World Cup.

Zhang is known to have a good relationship with former AFC secretary general Peter Velappan, who is a well-known opponent of Bin Hammam. Velappan expressed that the suspension of Bin Hammam and appointment of Zhang was “…the best thing for Asian football” in a recent interview with AFP.

Zhang told Sina Sports: “First, the environment of AFC needs a clean-up and some disharmonious factors need to be erased.

“The work of the AFC and its secretariat is to improve and strengthen. The AFC in the future will really build up the relationships with its 46 members’ associations. Communicate, build up firm relations, find one voice and unite.”

Regarding the suspension of Bin Hammam, Zhang said: “Negative elements and people (who act) to the detriment of football deserve this kind of result. Some of the actions of Bin Hammam went against the law of football development, this behaviour causes disharmony.”

3. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/01062011/2/charge-asia-says-acting-chief-zhang.html

I am in charge in Asia, says acting chief Zhang
    Wed, 01 Jun 04:30:00 2011

Zhang Jilong says he has taken temporary charge of Asian soccer and denied saying Mohamed bin Hammam was continuing to run the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) despite his suspension on bribery allegations.

As the AFC's senior vice-president, Zhang took temporary charge after Bin Hammam was suspended by FIFA from all soccer activity in the worst corruption scandal ever to hit the sport's international governing body.

Chinese media quoted Zhang on Tuesday as saying Qatari Bin Hammam remained in charge but the 59-year-old Chinese denied the reports.

"Media reports published by some media organisations are inaccurate and do not reflect my position," he said in a statement issued late on Tuesday. "I did not speak to any media outlets and take any interview.

"I am following the development closely and given the current circumstances, I will serve as acting president of the AFC in the best of my abilities and I sincerely hope that this issue will be resolved in the best interest of Asian football."

Bin Hammam, 62, had been due to stand against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency on Wednesday but withdrew his candidacy before facing an ethics committee hearing into the bribery allegations.

Bin Hammam and Jack Warner, his counterpart in the North, Central American and Caribbean governing body CONCACAF, were accused of arranging to pay delegates of the Caribbean Football Union $40,000 in cash to vote for the Qatari.

Both were suspended over the allegations but FIFA's ethics committee cleared Blatter. The case against Warner and Bin Hammam, who have denied any wrongdoing, will be heard in July.

Zhang, who was the chief local organiser for the soccer tournament at the Beijing Olympics, ran for a seat on FIFA's executive committee earlier this year but was beaten in a vote at the AFC's congress.

Zhang said he stood by the statement released by the AFC executive committee on Tuesday.

"We, the members of the AFC Executive Committee, express our deepest concern at the latest developments within FIFA and that involves the AFC President Mohamed Bin Hammam," it read.

"We hope the outcome of the investigation will be in the best interests of football in Asia and beyond.

"The AFC will continue its work in promoting and further developing Asian football in the spirit of Asian unity and solidarity."

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia...ll-confederation-president-zhang-jilong-wants-

Acting Asian Football Confederation president Zhang Jilong wants to "erase disharmonious factors"

Days after becoming acting Asian football chief following the suspension of Mohamed bin Hammam, the acting president says it's time for the confederation to clean up and unite

By Ben Somerford
    Jun 1, 2011 3:05:00 AM

The acting Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Zhang Jilong says the organisation needs to “erase disharmonious factors”.

Zhang, who took charge of the AFC following the suspension of Mohamed bin Hammam on Sunday, told Sina Sport the confederation needed to clean up and unite.

“First, the environment of AFC needs a clean-up and some disharmonious factors need to be erased,” said Zhang.

“The work of the AFC and its secretariat is to improve and strengthen.

“The AFC in the future will really build up the relationships with its 46 members' associations. Communicate, build up firm relations, find one voice and unite.”

Zhang then hinted the actions of the suspended bin Hammam were among those he labelled “disharmonious”.

“Negative elements and people [who act] to the detriment of football deserve this kind of result,” said Zhang

“Some of the actions of bin Hammam went against the law of football development, this behaviour causes disharmony.”

Zhang also denied media reports which suggested bin Hammam remained in charge despite his suspension.

“Media reports published by some media organisations are inaccurate and do not reflect my position,” said Zhang in a statement issued late on Tuesday.

“I did not speak to any media outlets and take any interview. I am following the development closely and given the current circumstances, I will serve as acting president of the AFC in the best of my abilities and I sincerely hope that this issue will be resolved in the best interest of Asian football.”