Zewe Out @ Odense B1909

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, May 19, 2006.

1. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    You think he actually had a chance at making the 06 roster?

I saw two of his CL games, one of which was against DMB and PSV and the guy was terrible. The guy was as slow as Agoos, DMB was tearing up him the entire game. No way would the guy had a shot at the roster, the guy could be a solid MLS player at best like say a guy like Vanney.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call.

Isn't Joe's former head coach at B1909 his current coach at Viborg?

3. Mistake

Mistake New Member

Jun 13, 2006

Jovan Kirovski got Champions League minutes on a MUCH better team than Rosenborg in a much stronger domestic league. Kirovksi is the 3rd or 4th best player on a mid-table MLS team.

They might have more dollars in their bank with higher attendence, but there's no evidence at all suggesting that Norwegian 1st division is higher quality than MLS.

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

this thing you describe did not occur... and russell slow? muh huh

5. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Let's PLEASE not have this discussion again. Norwegian League is good. MLS is good. There is no secret sauce to it. Debate settled.

This thread is about Zewe. Keep it focused.

6. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Called in two times to compete a year before when playing full time and was injured both times. Yeah, that gives him a chance.

Ben Olsen and Albright made the roster. What's your point?

As for the guy is slow comment. Well, that says it all.

Basically you know nothing about RR if you think he is slow, so nice talking to you.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I was only at this match which makes his comment even funnier.

DMB destroyed:rolleyes: RR and RBK that night. Sigh.

8. ::::::

:::::: Guest

Cap Him Now!

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Notice I said he would have a good "chance."

Jovan's time in the CL was mostly garbage minutes in a couple of meaninglesss matches.

Jovan barely played at all for Dortmund in general. Barely. Hell, I don't think he even played in the league, just some reserve garbage minutes in the CL.
    Hell, Jovan barely played anywhere in Europe for the large amount of time he spent there, and he is "still" one of the top 3 or 4 players on his team.

RR worked his way up, earned his minutes without the Man U reserves resume, and played key games and minutes for RBK.

Actually, before RR got injured there was much more evidence he could actually play on the field than super reserve, bench warmer, Man U association carried him reserve player for life Jovan.

The only places Jovan played real minutes were in the C'ship with Palace and in Koln in Germany's D2. He had good spurts and then faded and left Koln in a bad way, and was just a good player at Palace, but never showed more. Then again you may think the one decent season he had for Palace with that high octane offense means more than it does. Hell, he played in the CL:rolleyes: Basically, you don't know the players, or their careers, do you? You just know some stats, read some things, and spit it out. Don't you?

There is actually nothing to suggest that RR couldn't be a nice piece in MLS if healthy.

Oh yeah. He is slow:rolleyes:

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Exactly!:D

Only on BS could a harmless comment show other peoples ignorance in such grandeur.

Best part is they revel in it.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i was also at the match, and no one "destroyed" russell all night long - certainly beasley got loose for a long ball on the 1-0 winner, but you are wildly exaggerating

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Keeper off his line quicker and he gets that ball from DMB.

DMB should have had that second from 10 meters out.

Never knew Eindhoven eas that small. Thought of it as a large place because of the team I guess.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cap Joe Zewe?

Stay on topic. Start a new thread about Russell.

14. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Seriously.
    Mod's please take control here and weed out the non-Zewe related items - we've had myriads of "MLS is awesome and no league can be better that it, especially Scandanavian leagues since our YAs there aren't good enough for the National Team" threads.

If it helps you in directing traffic, the RR/Norway vs. MLS conversation is better moved here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325797.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Alright looks like I need to step in here.

This thread is about Joe Zewe leaving B1909 and I guess where he might end up.
    Yes, there can be some comparisons to other players and leagues, but lets keep it germain to Zewe's situation.

When I get a few moments I'll try to weed out soem of the non Zewe related items as necessary, but for now, we can go forth and keep things on topic.

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, Viborg have lost 7 players, 3-4 of them being regulars, but they have so far not signed any replacements so you could say that they are in desperate need of reinforcements at this point in time..

In other words, they have not actually signed Joe Zewe as of yet, but now seem to be ready to offer him a short-term contract. I think it's the best he could hope for. Normally, Superliga teams dont sign players from the Danish 2nd division, mainly because of the big step between Superliga and 3rd level soccer, but also because the Danish Superliga teams produce much of their own talent and get their players from other Superliga teams, foreign top-flight teams (mainly Swedish) or the Danish 1st division and since the Danish Superliga is rather small (12 teams) and produce much talent, it's not really needed to sign all that many 3rd level talents. They usually get picked up by 1st division teams and then perhaps later move on to the Superliga ..

Why I think it would be a good move for Zewe (and Robbie Russell for that matter) is because Viborg is a club that dont have much money but is known to be very clever at getting their hands on fairly unknown talent or players who have failed at other bigger teams and turn them into a success. Viborg is a solid looking team and also look solid and clever in how they act outside the pitch. They dont sign players cheap just to sit on the bench, but always seem to be very clever at finding fairly cheap reinforcements they belive got the needed quality...

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds good Ceres. Thanks for the insight.