Zewe Out @ Odense B1909

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, May 19, 2006.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=news&id=001880

Leadiing YA scorer, Joe Zewe is leaving B1909 by mutual agreement with 3 games remaining. B1909 is in the process of merging with another local club next season and Zewe wanted no part of it. It sounds like there was some bitterness in how his contract situation was handled and both decided it was better to part ways. I wonder what is in store for Joe? From all accouonts and reports he seemed the be a top player on a terrible club. Surely he done enough over the last two years to warrant interest from a Superliga club.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he moves up. Anyone that can put the ball into the net as consistently as he did at such a poor club merits attention. He might not pan out, but he's coming free and I expect that some higher league club will take a flyer on him-- there's little downside.

3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think the problem may be that the best placed of the 3 teams merging, B1913, now seem to have lost their chance of getting promoted to the Danish Viasat Sport Division (2nd level), and that his wages at the bottom 2nd division (3rd level) team B1909 are very low and is not really going to improve when FC Fyn also are playing 3rd level soccer next season...

Joe Zewe seem to be perhaps the best player at B1909 so it's better for him to try his luck at a bigger club in the Danish Viasat Sport Division... The step between Superliga and 3rd level is so huge that I doubt any of the Superliga teams would be even slightly interested at this point in time, no matter that he seems talented. He's almost 23 and they only scout the 2nd division to find excellent youth players. If a Superliga team did sign him now, he would surely not be a regular starter and most likely not even used in their first team next season. So It's better for him to take it one step at a time and prove his worth in the Viasat Sport Division, then if he show to be good enough, he could get picked up by a Superliga team in a year or so....

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

don't be so sure ;)

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I know the transfer "game" pretty well in Denmark... He would not be doing himself a favor by signing with a Superliga team at this point in time.. Better to sign with one of the top teams in the Danish Viasat Sport Division, unless he's happy playing 3rd level soccer on the 2nd team of some Superliga club next season..

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The problem is the huge difference in pace, tactical and physiqual training.. No matter his skills and talent they would simply not be able to just use him in the Superliga straight away. It would take several month of very hard training with the 1st team while playing for their 2nd team to make him ready for the Superliga.. The step between Superliga and the Viasat Sport Division is a bit smaller, though it would also take some time to adjust to the much higher pace in the Superliga..

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think you're assuming that he didn't already belong (at least) in the 1.division... which he did

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No, that is not what I'm assuming... I'm not talkin about talent or the general quality of the player, but of the huge step (in pace, physiqual and tactical training) between the Superliga and 3rd level soccer... Trust me, no matter how big a talent, he's not going to get in the starting 11 on a Superliga team.

Not even most of the absolute top players in the Danish Viasat Sport Division can be sure to see all that much 1st team action on a Superliga team right after they make the move. It's not really a question of talent/technique, but it takes time to get used to a much higer pace at a fairly high international level (higher than MLS but slightly below EPL level) and then a tactical level that is among the very best in Europe (Better than German Bundesliga level). It's not all that often a Superliga team sign a 3rd level player. When they do, the players are never in physical or tactical shape to get 1st team action in the Superliga...

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Danish Superliga is tactically better than the Bundesliga and only slightly slower than the Premeir League? Damn.... :rolleyes:

11. Say What?

Say What? New Member

May 2, 2006
    I left it alone. I knew it wouldn't be long.;)

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The difference being, that the Danish league is a 'development league' for the big leagues in Europe. So the Danish league clubs keep losing their most talented players every season to e.g. the Bundesliga and EPL..

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7813789&postcount=34

Never the less, despite being a fairly small league (Only 12 teams) losing many players to the top leagues, making it difficult for the teams to show any kind of consistency in the EC, then Danish teams have actually had the upper hand in the Europa cups agains German teams the past 25 years (Eliminating 8 German teams and only getting eliminated 5 times by German teams), not because Danish teams play at a higher pace or are having bigger stars, they surely dont, but because the Danish teams are showing a higher tactical level than their German opponents..

If you know much about European soccer, then you would know that the further you travel south the technical level gets better, while the longer you travel North the tactical level improve... The highest tactical level you find in Scandinavia...

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Speaking of SAS, how's Danny Boy doing out there?

I looked up Aalborg's stats and he's been in and out of the line-up.

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

It's a bit difficult to say, since the AaB defense has been struck by injuries this past season and also Danny Califf has suffered. But I belive the club has been happy having him on the team, and the general opinion among the AaB supporters seem to be that he got off to a very good start but then was a bit 'up and down' like the rest of the team this ½ season. They do say that he shows the right attitude and is very good at heading and tackling, but that it otherwise also seem obvious that he is not used to playing in Europe, but that they think he got the potential to improve..

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, it's a different game there. I thought he got a lot better in his last MLS season insofar as anticipation and tactical acumen went.

Before that, he could be a bit iffy on that...

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well I hope Zewe catches on with a Superliga club and performs well.

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    According to the Danish soccer website bold.dk, then Joe Zewe seem to have made so good an impression while being on trial at the Danish Superliga team Viborg FF that they now are prepared to offer him a short-term contract. (probably meaning ½ a season).

The article is mainly about Viborg being on a shopping spree in Sweden, hoping to sign some reinforcements and then goes on to name Johnny Lundberg from Landskrona BoIS, the Helsingborg IF midfielder Eldin Karisik and finally also the American right back Robbie Russell from Norwegian Rosenborg..

http://www.bolddk.com/nyt/?vis=58080

Though it's not mentioned in the article above, then it's a fact that Russell has just been told he's no longer needed in Rosenborg..

http://www.nrk.no/sport/fotball/tippeligaen2006/5730473.html

18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good news for Joe-- our reigning YA Goal Scoring champion.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Come home Robbie.

20. Mistake

Mistake New Member

Jun 13, 2006

Who says Robbie is good enough for MLS?

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Right now, no one, but he was starting in the CL for Rosenborg only two seasons ago until his injuries.

If he can regain that form he would be a good bet to start in MLS for many teams.

I would wager that many MLS coaches would agree and give him a fair shot if he could prove that he was healthy.

22. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    you've never actually seen russell play, huh?

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The less politically correct way to go.

I really feel for RR. The guy was lining up for a real shot at 2006 and then the injuries. Sigh.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So back to Joe Zewe.

6 month contract seems pretty short. Has Viborg signed any other players?

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Heath Pearce went in on a six month deal too ... two years later...