Zewe: Finally Signed, Sealed, and Now Delivered To Viborg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by m vann, Jul 13, 2006.

1. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Also, I'm not sure what it means, but the Viborg website article that I posted yesterday listed both Zewe and RR in the starting 11 for a preseason match. It is only preseason, but it is also only a few days before the season opener, so it may be a statement that both are actually factoring into the side's plans for 2006.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    *cough* Jay DeMerit *cough* :)

Actaully i'm not sure Jay is a good example of another since he never really played for Northwood,

Good for Zewe

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It happens in the EPL/League 1 all the time.

In Germany, it's a little different because the Regional Leagues often serve as farm systems for the B-liga 1 clubs, so the young players train with the top squad and fill in when required or get garbage time, etc.

4. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Well then, you're just making my point even more clearly - Zewe may very well have a chance to do something with the first team.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It's not a question of me making a guess. I'm just quoting the Viborg sporting director Flemming Nielsen who said that Zewe was to be signed as a developmental player and could be put op for loan if the squad gets too big.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be the Sports Director's way of lowering expectations, plus it might seem odd if a D3 player jumps right into the starting lineup. Of course, if he plays well the fans will want him all the more.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, so far it surely speaks in his favor that Viborg only got 19 players in their squad at the moment (including Zewe and Russell) and they seem to think of Zewe as an all-round player. Not to forget that that 7 players are allowed on the bench this season... and last but not least that Viborg lack forwards. They only have 3 forwards left in their squad and one of their two top forwards is injured (The Brazilian Jóse Mota) while their other top forward Steffen Højer (Superliga topscorer the past 3 seasons in a row) has turned 33 and is going to retire after this season.

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a great place for Joe to learn and have the opportunity to perform.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Viborg FF axe head coach

The board today axed both Sporting director Flemming Nielsen and head coach Ove Christensen to due to a dispute between the management and head coach Ove Christensen + the players. After their last Superliga match a very angry Ove Christensen told the media that he was not going to renew his contract with Viborg at the end of this season. He found it unprofessional and scandalous that he was left with a squad of only 19 players, and with two of them being signed only a few days before league start, having made it practically impossible to prepare for this season. The players were also talking to the media agreeing with their head coach.

The fact that Sporting director Flemming Nielsen used to be assistent coach to Ove Christensen but then got promoted to become his boss is also a fact that made this situation impossible to solve without atleast one of them leaving the club. But since the Viborg players fully support their head coach in the despute against the management and Sporting director, then it would probably only make things worse if the board chose to keep the Sporting director and only axed coach Christensen, so in the end they chose to get rid of both of them.

To take over as new head coach is the assistent coach at Viborg and former Glasgow Rangers coach Tommy Møller Nielsen (son of former Danish NT coach Richard Møller Nielsen)..

New assistent coach is going to be 43-yo Stephen Lowe, who started his playing career at Aston Villa and later got his debut in the English league for Wolverhampton, also earning 9 youth NT caps for England before moving to Denmark to play for Herning, Vejle and later Viborg in the late 80's and early 90's..

10. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Holy cow. IIRC, Moller Nielsen is the former coach of B1909 - he's the one that brought Zewe into Denmark. This can only be a good thing for Zewe's future with the club I imagine.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ah, great ... a coach gets fired two games into the season ... what is this, Brazil?

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    actually, this was joeZ's second appearance

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, it was only his away debut for viborg :D

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, basically, Zewe did the Macadena?

Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macadena
    Que tu cuerpo es pa' darle alegria y cosa buena
    Dale a tu cuerpo alegria Macadena
    Ehhhh, Macadena.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The fact that you reminded me of the Macarena makes me want to neg rep you ;)

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    and you should

18. Christiano Goldinho

Christiano Goldinho New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Aalborg

Viborg finished last season in 3. place.

- But in the start of this season they haven't been very consistent and are currently in second last place in the league with only 1 point after 5 matches..