Zavagnin to Sunderland?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by arnoldle21, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Its surprising, almost shocking to me that Pablo didn't try to go after 2002 WC. He was clearly good enough. He could be making a ton more money.

Also, likely he coulda got the Italian (thus EU) citizenship somehow...they have lax rules, and he came from Italian/Argentina background.

I s'pose he is just happy making good quid, playing in US...good for him...ah, what could have been...

2. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I don't think KZ is anywhere close to having the appearances he needs to make it via caps. It all depends on his Irish passport (via maternal grandmother) application.

Does anyone else wonder along with me why KZ has waited until THIS YEAR to apply for that passport when he was eligible all along? I mean, I guess he has only been playing at this level over the last 18 - 24 months or so, but if he is unable to get the passport in time to meet Sunderland AFC or whomever's timetable - wouldn't he beat his head against the wall at not using a little more foresight? What the heck was his agent thinking?

3. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    They have cracked down a lot recently on Argentinians (and even Brazilians) playing on questionable passports. Juan Sebestian Veron and Edu are just two of the guys who had lengthy suspensions for obtaining passports based on tenuous ancestry.

Unless he can verify that his parents or grandparents were citizens of Italy - he could have some trouble.

But Spain does allow a limited number of non-EU players. If a Segunda Liga team had an open slot, they may very well take a chance on Mastro even without EU status. It is not as difficult a system to negotiate as the work permit system in UK.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    That's my point. Decent/good chance Pablo has/had a parent or grandparent was citizen of Italy (I believe it can be great-grandparent too)....

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, they will stray way off the map is they are willing let a great grandparent account for citizenship. If the UK was like that, I would of headed over and tried my luck, as my mother's grandparents were straight off the boat form Scotland. :)

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Zavagnin in Sunderland. Hmmmm.....

7. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    In most european nations - a grandparent is necessary.

Italy has a rather complex system of recognizing entitlement to dual citizenship.

http://www.myitalianfamily.com/record/requirements.html

8. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Sunderland are sitting 3rd in the table right now and will easily clinch a playoff spot if they don't get in outright.

Of course, there's always hope that they'll be denied by an injury-time own goal in the playoff final. :D:D

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think you dramatically overestimate what Thorrington is making.

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    yeah but the difference now is last time they went down with an old, fading team that just wasnt good enough. And they tried to return last season with that same cast...

but now they've got some improving young players like lawrence and elliott and appear to be doing it right this time. This would be a good move for Zavagnin....who's certainly a better DM than the likes of Jeff Whitley...

11. SMRT

SMRT New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    If this is true it seems like a policy change for MLS. At least I thought that in Twellman's first year back from Germany he made the league min. Unless an American that has played abroad either has good outside offers or has a name fans recognize, I don't see why MLS would be willing to pay them six figures.

I think the flow of Americans from MLS to Euro clubs should increase the likelihood of an 18 year old American signing with MLS. Young Americans should feel relatively confident that they can join MLS (passing on Euro offers they find unattractive), and if they do well have the oportunity in the future for a lucrative move to a Euro club they really want to play for.

12. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Why do you come to the Yanks Abroad forum?

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    No, the argument was that you said he would make it at a club in a top Euro division in a top league, I said that he wouldn't go that high. Buzz, sorry, but as usual, you lose, Daffy. This is exactly the kind of team I thought he could get himself on, you said he would go to a top division in a top league. You can't cover up your total stupidity with lying. Not this time anyway.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    P.S. If this works out, congrats to him.

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You unending ability to lie and twist is almost unrivaled.

I said a 'high' level. I even mentioned Razov in reference (although I expect Kerry to play higher).

For me, a historic Premiership team that is right on edge of top 2 in 1st division England is a 'high level'. We only have a handful of field player above that level- even smaller if you talk about starters.

Please quit putting words in my mouth, and twisting the truth to stroke your ego.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Here is the quote:

"Zavagnin has made it no secret that he'd like to play at the highest levels in Europe, and there'd be no better time for him to try that."

I said him playing at the highestl levels of europe would be a tough sell

jri said "this would not be a tough sell at all"

If you think that this story proves you right and me wrong, you've been leaving that Daffy costume on for too long.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    We define 'high' differently, and you are too stoned to see that, and/or too bent on something (revenge? God know what...) to see it.

Enough already. I'm done, and I'm sure the mod is sick of this. Enough.

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Why do you bother?

He is not lying.

He actually believes that.

Don't waste your time.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Not "high", "highest". Sunderland, I would suggest, may or may not be at a "high" level. Sunderland clearly is not at the "highest" level of Euro football, that's patently absurd. But good try trying to change your argument, but guess what, you're still wrong, which I wouldn't mind, but you use this news on the first page to "prove" me wrong. Well, as I'm sure you are now aware, that was another of your dumb mistakes.

Good night moderators, good night, Daffy.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    On a relative scale of all leagues in Europe in which Yanks Abroad play and could play, the top of Division One is among the highest. There is little difference between Sunderland and the bottom 4-5 in the Premiership. If he is good enough for Sunderland, he is good enough for a CP, WB, or even Blackburn (certainly after seeing yesterday's display). Would it make a difference if CPalace was the club in the hunt here?

The fact that a club on the cusp of promotion (meaning they would be in Premiership next year) is seriously looking at Kerry proves (1) your original harping (coupled w/an incessant insult tirade- du rigeur for you) about his age being a factor is totally wrong as is (2) saying he could not play in the Premiership. Their interest is clearly in building a squad that can promote, and keeping a squad that can stay.

So you are wrong, you are wrong, you are wrong. No matter how one slices it.

And, you are idiot to boot. Shame for you.

21. kris

kris New Member

Nov 26, 2004
    How do we know this? I thought it was only training.

22. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Actually when a team gets promoted they have to hire big style to stand a chance. The last team that didn't was Watford.

23. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004

So is this that much of a departure from the post you responded to? Or do you think all clubs wait until they are actually promoted to start improving their squad?

Sunderland, a club that would expect to get back to the Premiership soon, is within sniffing distance at the window, and are looking to pick up players to get them/keep them in the next division.

I don't know if Kerry is the guy for this, but the logic seems to hold true of whomever they would bring in now.

24. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

kerry is trying to find work in europe

he is going to go where people have interest in him and want to see if he is a good fit for the team

25. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I was making the point that the bottom Prem teams are considerberly better (in most cases) than the top Champ teams.

And yes most of the big important purchases are done after promotion because thats when the money is gauranteed.

I was actually correcting Jri rather than dashing the kids transfer hopes.