Zavagnin looking at Europe......

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Do you really need to keep taking shots at jri? Europe has a lot of teams and he's paid very little by their standards (about 650 pounds/wk). No, Real Madrid isn't going to sign him to a five year contract. But a one or two year deal in the English second division wouldn't surprise me. I don't know if it's worthwhile to move overseas for that (does he have a wife and kids?), but there are so many low level teams that if he really wants to go I'm sure he can.

2. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a few weeks and we'll have a definitive answer. I would imagine he wouldn't be going down this path if interest in him hasn't been expressed by someone. If interest has been expressed, it is obvious then that a 30-year old (insert all the qualifiers mentioned repeatedly above) could play in Europe.

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Decision is going to made based on form on the trial, and not because 30 is some sort of boo-boo number. Kerry's resume is fair enough- not great, but could enough for some of the possibilities sensible posters have mentioned here. Thanks for talking sense.

Razov was 27 or 28 when he got a shot with 2nd division Spain. Defenders/defensive mids often age better :)

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually, if he's out of contract, which he is according to The Kansas City Star piece, he's outside the transfer window restrictions. I don't know that KZ without an EU passport would have much luck getting a job overseas, but with one, he's a fairly safe, and inexpensive, bet.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I agree, but that's not what the article said: "Zavagnin has made it no secret that he'd like to play at the highest levels in Europe"

I think that precludes a lower division team.

6. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    I'm torn between two replies: "So would I" and "Croatia's first division is the highest level, right?"

Yea, if he's only going to go for one of the big four leagues, I expect he's out of luck. Maybe a bottom of the league team which needs a cheap injury stopgap?

One problem he's got to face: he's not a spectacular player who's going to knock the coaches socks off in a trial. Mathis, for instance, might put together a couple of hot days and look like a world beater. That's just not KZ's style.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, you can't always get what you want... ;)