Zavagnin at Coventry?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jmeissen0, Feb 1, 2005.

1. eamonmcg

eamonmcg New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Rhode Island
  2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kerry should just come back and re-sign with MLS. This is getting sad..he is touring England going from club to club begging for trials and getting rejected by all of them and at the same time falling furth down the ladder. I like him as a USMNT player..so far, by playng in MLS and being avalible o BA for all qualifiers and friendlies he has a better chance at WC 2006 than if he goes to rot away somewhere in CCC or 2nd divison England.

Then again I am more for our better MLS players staying at home than going to Europe in most cases.

3. Skurwiel007

Skurwiel007 Member

Jun 12, 2004
    100% agreed! MLS is much better option for him now.

4. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many Americans get a chance to travel and live abroad in their lifetimes, even for a short period. Not even thinking in terms of soccer, I think it'd be an exciting move, even for a short amount of time.

In soccer terms, I think it'd be more exciting as well to get, not only a higher paycheck, but also the chance to play in an environment where your sport is the #1 sport, as opposed to the #6 or 7.

EDIT: And I thought the most interesting thing in the article was the fact that Tony Meola still has national team aspirations... shhhhwhat? :confused:

5. Greywacke

Greywacke New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Huntington Beach
    Here's what I want to know:

Is it pronounced Za-vag-nin, with the middle syllable rhyming with bag? Or does the middle syllable rhyme/sound like dog, bog, hog, etc.? I've heard both on game telecasts.

6. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

huh??????

he doesn't have his eu card yet... mls pays peanuts

so he is working with teams til one likes him enough to wait for his eu card

7. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    it's zag, like rag

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kerry should do what's best for his career and no matter what option he chooses I will support. From all accounts I've read, its not that Southampton didn't like him, he just agree on terms. So that it what what's worth. He certainly has earned at least a right to explore his options. Kerry has had a stellar MLS career. I do think he can find a club in England but it takes time to find a club with the right situation. Only few players can walk in and fit any with any club, i.e. Zidane, Henry, etc. I feel sure he;ll end up in a decent situation.On a side note, my fear for all yanks wanting to go aborad is that it will become similar to college basketball unclassmen who test the pre-draft camps or leave early when they are a marginal pick. I want our guys to succeed at the highest level but not at the expense of sitting at a Euro club.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I'm never going to tell a player what they should or shouldn't do for their carerer.

It's Kerry's career. If he really wants to play in Europe... good for him... and I think he should go for it no matter what it takes.

If he wants to play in MLS... that's great... he should sign a new contract with them.

But for me to suggest one thing or another is in his best interest.... not going to happen. It's his life and he should live it as he sees fit.

10. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    Man, I know I am new to this BS thing, but I thought that is exactly what we did in these forums.

I think he is doing what he should be doing. KZ has a product. His soccer. He is trying to market that product to get the best return that he can from it. Odds are that he is going to get more for it over there than here in MLS. Sure, I guess idealistically speaking he could want to contribute to the growth of American soccer here in MLS. However, I think that he has devoted himself to a career in professional soccer and probably wants to be the best that he can. That is why I usually support players doing whatever they can to get into the Euro leagues. I love MLS, but reality is what it is.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Kerry made $66K last year for the Wiz. Not exacly Beckham's territory, is it?

For all that demand his coming back to MLS, consider the above factor as well.

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stick around,kid.You'll catch on.
    :)

13. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Wiz fan

Wiz fan New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    KS
    Tony's delusional

15. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
  16. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    doesn't apply to out of contract players.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How. How is MLS better. He's 30. He's likely got 2-4 years of good paychecks left if he stays healthy, and possibly another 2-4 years of lesser ones if he plays out the string.

He can likely earn around $200k if he plays the next two seasons in MLS.

If he can catch on with a Championship or Premiership side, that number will likely more than double.

At some point, it's about financial security. It also explains why Kirovski spent all those years riding pine in Europe - because the paychecks were huge compared to what MLS was offering.

Unless you're in a career where the retirement age is 35, I'm guessing most folks just don't understand.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Are you an idiot? This thread is about Coventry. The article you posted is about Sunderland.

Get a clue.

19. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy you up on your horse again,

its not about Sunderland or Coventry but that he " has left to go home" , now why don't you get off your high horse and be a good boy

if you have other meaningfull info then please post it,

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think 'feigned' is used incorrectly in this context, but whatever....

21. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You are an idiot, afterall. Kerry Zavagnin is not under contract. Transfer windows don't apply. Try to keep up.

23. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    He'll be back when he fails to get a contract.

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    You are just a bundle of sunshine, maybe it will be France's fault that he has to come back to MLS.