Zakuani Chooses DR Congo

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by banbaseball, Nov 12, 2010.

1. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Actually, in addition to not leaving the country for more than 6 months, you also need to spend real time in the U.S. It's something like 30 months in 5 years. You can't just spend 3 days a year in the U.S. and still be able to apply for citizenship. At least that's what my lawyer told me.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it, since Congo was a Belgian colony.
    Hmmm. The "top 75" thing is only for the UK. Since no top footballer plays in the Welsh league or the Northern Ireland league, that means Scotland and England.

Second of all, France gives preferential treatment to those from former French colonies like Senegal and Cameroon. Spain does the same thing, but I don't think they had any colonies in Africa. Portugal had Angola and Mozambique, I think.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Equatorial Guinea

4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    In a good or bad way? :eek:

Ah, those elitist British pansies. :p Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that it might be an EU thing. So in other words, this doesn't hurt Zakuani at all since he's already a citizen of the UK.

5. JBOBO

JBOBO New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zakuani made the right move. He's a good player but there's a logjam in our midfield and we have some promising young talent coming up as well.

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm glad he made a choice and I hope he's happy with it. He'll get to play with his brother and everything.

But he's never going to play in a World Cup. Congo haven't qualified since 1974.

We don't really have a speedy wing-mf and I think he can still improve quite a bit to become a top class winger.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    When they brought much joy to the spectators...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDXkVGpMpc"]YouTube - Brazil -- Zaire, Football WC 1974[/ame]

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zakuani says that the match he played for Congo was not an official match recognized by FIFA, that he is not tied to any one country and has yet to decide what country he wants to represent.

“These days as much as it is a pride decision, it's also a footballing decision," he said. "I have to give myself the best chance of advancing my career."

9. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like someone would like to play with the United States.

10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soundersfcblog/2014054821_zakuanis_international_future.html

Interesting, though I'm still doubtful he'll suit up for Team USA.

He got his green card in December, and it takes 5 years of permanent residency before you can apply for citizenship, so he'd be eligible in December 2015 at the earliest. He'd be twos months from 28 years old...pretty late to start a national team career.

Unless of course he marries an American....then he'd only need 3 years of permanent residency. In which case he'd be eligible by December 2013, in time for the World Cup.

Anyone know if he has a girlfriend? :p

11. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Wow, that's cool that he's still open and available. A guy with his speed and talents, it's hard to tell how far he will go. Even if he has a real shot at playing for US at 28 yr old, I think 1 or 2 WC's is better than 0.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY

13. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well many parents were killed during our civil war, I wonder if we had a World cup in 1870 how many Southerners would have refused to play for the USNT.

Great way to get around the 5 year wait, I believe it takes 1-3 years for married people to get citizenship.

If he did get his green card before last season, I understand that he is under a 3 year contract, so DC/MLS could sell him the summer of 2012 and he would fulfill the 30 month requirement possibly (if not at the end of 2012)

Now it is hard for me to believe that you can live overseas and stop in Las Vegas for a weekend every 6 months and be able to get around the 6 months a year requirement. (some one else made that point not you)

15. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    this thread is about zakuani.

16. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does that whole thing about having to be a citizen of the other country (USA), before you play with another country (Congo) affect him though? Or does Green Card=US Citizenship.

17. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the point is mwanga situation is very different from zakuani

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. You must be a citizen. FIFA mandates that. A green card essentially does nothing. Let me correct myself, it does something-----gets you close towards citizenship if you choose to go that route.

19. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    If this wasn't considered a match by FIFA, then it would not affect Zakuani. If FIFA does consider it a match, then he would be limited to just Congo-DR or England, I believe.