Zakuani Chooses DR Congo

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by banbaseball, Nov 12, 2010.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Apologies if this was posted already...

Zakuani Chooses DR Congo.

It's a Movsisyan v2. Can't wait 3 years it would seem. Sad but makes sense.

2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alas. Not surprising though given his citizenship status.

For what it's worth (not much), it's only a friendly, so the door isn't 100% closed.

3. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Wow cant believe he would choose Congo over the U.S.

4. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I don't believe that's the case since he isn't currently U.S.-eligible.

I would have liked to have had Zakuani, but it just isn't realistic for collegiate immigrants to be factors for the U.S. Barring a major change in the citizenship laws (not saying that there needs to be one), this sort of situation will continue to happen.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, so the rule is that if someone is dual eligible, they can make a one time switch as long as they haven't played in a competitive match (qualifier or composition) but if you play for a senior national team in any capacity before having citizenship for another country, there's no switching?

6. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Competition.) I believe that's it exactly.

7. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. Whatever.

Here's a jam:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=RNsqKpZpyPo"]YouTube - Congo - Konono - Congotronics - Sobanza Mimanisa Live[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  8. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    If my understanding of the rule is correct, yes.

I believe that Zakuani is England-eligible, so hypothetically a friendly would not bind him from playing for them (I said hypothetically), but it would bar him from playing for the US, or Canada, or any other nation he might live in and become naturalized in. (Alternatively, if he earned US citizenship tomorrow, I believe he could still switch.)

Others feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

9. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    You guys are exactly right. A player is free to make his one-time switch at any time, provided he has only played in friendlies, and was eligible for his "want-to-switch-to" country at the time he first played for his "want-to-switch-from" country.

10. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Zakuani was definitely considered a longshot for USMNT status considering the long wait for citizenship, so not too many will be upset. Mwanga, however, is a different story, as it appears he has a much shorter time span before he can qualify for citizenship. One wonders if Zakuani choosing DR Congo might affect Mwanga's decision. Stay tuned...

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mwanga's personal situation with DR Congo (his father being killed in the civil war) would seem to be a huge factor. I wouldn't want to play for the side that killed my father (in a manner of speaking). Would you?

Plus, as you said, he's further along.

If we could get our state department to play ball, our soccer team would be a lot better.

12. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not in favor of this. Wait your turn like everyone else (ie doctors, engineers, scientists)

13. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Are we sure that the winning side of the Civil War killed his father??? :confused:

14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Yes. Mwanga's father was an adviser for Mobutu, who was the Dictator of Zaire. Alliance des Forces Democratiques pour la Liberation du Congo-Zaire (AFDL), led by Laurent-Désiré Kabila, kicked out Mobutu took over the government & have changed the political landscape of DR Congo.

15. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Got it, didn't know his dad worked for the baddies. :(

16. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    IIRC, Mobutu was a charismatic leader. He renamed Congo to Zaire & he did have the support from the West, because he was against communism. However, the guy was ruthless & killed w/out qualms. The people had enough of it in the 90's & that led to his downfall. Sorry for the historical rant :eek:

17. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He was no Patrice Lumumba that's for sure...

18. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Zakuani was always alongshot, also considering his family ties to the Congo NT as well (his brother as been capped).

Mwanga will be interesting one. BTW whatever happened to Rodney Wallace? He seems to have dropped off the radar... I'd love to see another Terp in the USMNT pool.

19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those people should be fast-tracked, too. Anyone who is an extremely productive member of society with a high paying job should be treated differently from, say, relatives who are being brought over by naturalized citizens or other cases like that.

20. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I know he was banged up a lot this season & really do much w/ dc united. Has he committed to the US??? I know he is a Tico.

21. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Zakuani made the only possible decision, noone at 22 yrs old is gonna want to wait 3 years to play international football. The USSF owns all the blame on this one. Apparently the US track and field has lobbied fast-track citizenship in the past. Why can't the USSF do this? Track and Field is as much a fringe sport in this country as soccer is and they don't even have a major focal-point event like the World Cup since the Olympics doesn't necessarily focus on just track. Seems like a big missed opportunity to me.

22. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congo is not guaranteed qualifications to the African cup of Nations or World cup( compared to the US having a good shot at making the gold cup and world cup)... But, if he can help the team maybe they will be good enough...

Being an international is good for any player because, it gives more chances for you to show your talent and, subsequently build your career... Playing for Congo could give him opportunities to move to France etc etc...

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I can somewhat agree as the real difference is that any relatives I bring over from Nigeria can still live and work here for many years with just a green card. My parents never even bothered to get their citizenship until I was in elementary school, almost 20 years after they came here as students. It's a matter of status to them, they were never going to be forced from the country since they were not criminals. But Zakuani was on a ticking clock and there's a reason that he needed to be fast-tracked. I'm a bit torn, but I can understand fast-tracking a person in Zakuani's situation.

24. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The only thing is that it's easier to get work permits in Europe when you play for a top 75 or so FIFA-ranked international side. Playing for Congo as opposed to the US might make it harder for Zakuani in some countries. Look at what happened to that Iraqi player who Man City wanted to sign. It doesn't really matter, though, for Zakuani since he's already an EU citizen, but for a guy like Mwanga it makes a difference.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With the long time it takes to become a citizen of the US, we shouldn't be surprised when so many of these players who COULD play for the US only IF they wait several years for the process to play out opt not to do so.

Vedad Ibisevic, Roger Espinoza, Bakary Soumare, Yura Movsisyan, Steve Zakuani. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

As things currently stand, it takes a long time to become a US citizen and we're talking about athletes, who by their nature aren't patient and who don't have a long window to play internationally. So, when they opt not to wait, it's a shame but it isn't a surprise.

There's a reason why no college player who was recruited here from abroad has gone on to play for the US in over a quarter century. (Jean Harbor is the last one to do so and he came to the US for college in 83.) And there's a reason no foreign player brought to MLS has gone on to play for the US.

The citizenship process just takes too long. Don't blame the USSF, MLS or the players. Blame the bueraucracy of the US government and terrorists who have forced the US to proceed much more cautiously torwards citizenship. (That, and the vast volume of applicants.)

It's actually a minor miracle guys like Danny Mwanga and Andy Najar are showing a willingness to wait, though both of them came to the US as minors, and got the citizenship clock started at an earlier age.

But if Tony Tchani or Ruben Luna or whomever the next Naturalization Candidate Flavor Of The Year is opts not to wait, I won't be surprised at all.