Zak Whitbred article

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Apr 25, 2005.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    thats actually a pretty good interview

Confession -

I only came across it accidently while searching for DaMarcus Beasley articles!

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    This should stop Zak to MLS rumors :D (Singapore $1 is US 60c, which would make a 'Pool reserve wage top out close to $9K/week). Ditto for the likes of Kenny Cooper, Jon Spector, et al.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

So roughly max out at $9k per week (if Zak is indeed getting the max)... which is for the duration of the season. So guessing about 36 weeks per year? That would be a max of about $325K per year equivalent to a USA contract.

That is of course assuming Zak gets the max. Lets assume he's just under max and getting around $300K per year. Thats pretty good money for a reserve team player.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how it works in Championship Manager, and I'm not joking. They get that level of detail correct, or else their fans bitch and bitch and bitch. I'm pretty sure the players get paid every week, all year.

And now that I think about it, I've seen articles that say Play X is seeking $100,000 a week, and then later, they'll say the salary is over $5M.

So you're talking nearly a half million there.

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
  7. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "But an established reserve player can earn about 5,000 ($15,400) a week"

Who said that was the max salary?

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, they're private contracts, aren't they, but I can't imagine for one second that ANY professional footballer in England doesn't get paid every week.

9. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    the writer is a little behind in his info:

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Writers in the USA have a hard time getting this right so we'll give a pass to one from Singapore.

11. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    agreed

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The previous posters alluded to the fact that in the US pro sports leagues, the actual transfer of money from teams/management - even if 100% guaranteed - takes place only during the playing season itself. Add to that the fact that the US pro-sports seasons are usually shorter than the international soccer calendars (from 4 months of NFL to 6 months of MLB/NBA and 8 months of the NHL) and the question arose about the regularity of payments.

To my knowledge, the international soccer players are compensated like most regular US employees, on a weekly or bi-weekly basis for continuous 52 weeks. In which case, top reserves would be getting about $450-500K with the top EPL clubs, which, as I have surmised from Richard's posts, is roughly what the same players could demand from the better paying Colaship teams.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks all...

Obviously I didn't realize that their contracts were paid weekly... even when not in season...

Ok, so if he's making $400K or more per year playing reserves football.....
    all I can say is.... sweet.

14. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    It doesn't really matter whether he's making $500k or half that.

With a couple more years of hard work and good health, he has a legitimate chance to be a steady fixture on Liverpool's senior squad, and maybe first eleven. He's NOT coming to MLS - and it's not about money.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A) With Liverpool unlikely to catch Everton for fourth place, and the crucial final English Champions' League berth, is there any chance Zak will get a fist team appearance in any of these last four games? I would think with the CL games with Chelsea being of far more importance to the team this year than the regular seasong games that some regular would be rested on the weekend to have them fresh for the CL games.

B) What are the odds Zak is loaned out next year? Unless he's going to be playing regulalry for Liverpool next year, another season with the reserves really isn't doing much for him. He needs to go somewhere where he'll get first team games, be that a lower-level EPL team - Portsmouth or Crystal Palace, if they stay up, could certainly use some help in the back - or a team in the Championship League, ideally one fighting for promotion.

16. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I guess that depends on what moves Liverpool do/don't make in the Summer. I would guess that Zak is less likely to go on loan than someone like Spector because Liverpool are not as deep in the back and because Zak is living at home with his Liverpool FC paid Dad.

That said, I really believe that Zak has done all he can do with the reserves. After a long time in the reserves guys like Zak start looking very ordinary in reserve matches even though they look very good in 1st team matches, when given a chance. This is probably due to being bored and uninspired in the reserves. He's been playing with the reserves for three years now so it's time to move on to another club or the 1st team (even fringe 1st team).

17. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my Four Four Two today and they have a page interview with Zak in "The Boy's a Bit Special" section. Much of what he says is the same. He says playing for the USMNT is one of his highest goals. He also says the toughest opponent he has played against is Spurs' Kanoute (can anyone in MLS give you that kind of workout?). I followed LFC's run in the League Cup, and it sounds like Zak played very well. From what I read, he is one of the best we have coming up through the ranks. I agree a loan at the Premiership level would do him a lot of good, but LFC may not be sure enough with current first team to let him go.

Why do we only get a handful of posts on these great young players coming up? Is LD's implosion or Convey's allergies really that much more interesting than success in the making?

18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because reserve football is worthless,haven't you heard? ;)

19. Joel Goodson

Joel Goodson Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. Zak Whitbread has such a bright future ahead of him and we should be over the moon that he has chosen to play for the US when he probably could command a place in England in the next few years.

20. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't think he's all that. He'll be a good pro but not an exceptional one. He's got good skill and good soccer intelligence, but is not the most athletically gifted.

21. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Where would Whitbread rate versus Spector and Gooch ?

I would think young Jonny might be slightly ahead; he's younger, and has already gotten a call-up; not that it means that he's better, but someone overseas suggested him ahead of ZW.
    Gooch impressed me in his last few games; I sense that the US hierarchy might rate him the highest b/c of his recent starts, but that might just be because of availability.

I remember the first time I saw O'Brien's name as a sub in '98 vs Holland and when Landon made his debut in 99 versus Mexico.. I think I'll look back to Spector, Gooch, Szetela and Zak's first caps the same way.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think he'll be a decent EPL center-left defender but probably not a starter for the very elite of the league and will likely settle down to a Birmingham-Blackburn-Soton level.

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    He could get to play in the very last game, if there's nothing to play for, but not before that.

24. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Er, I thought he was slow? At least that's the impression I got from reading BS.

Hmmm... BS, or 'The New Paper'....

25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he didn't get exactly set the field on fire during the U20 tournament