zak whitbread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by nadpolice9, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Goody for them. It still does little to change the fact that they haven't won a major title since 1966.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Fine the US does have a better chance of winning Gold Cup than England does Winnning Euro Cup. But USA does NOT have a better chance of winning the World Cup than England does. And exactly what International Championship have the US won outside of the Gold Cup?

3. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What about the left side of their midfield?
    Their troubles finding a decent partner for Owen.
    England's still questionable goalkeeping.

No holes in their lineup?

Please.

4. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    That's a good point. But then why don't all the big clubs stop their youth players from playign in these tournies?

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Yeah but for me (if I was a dual citizen, good enough to play for either team and it was just a matter of playing for the more entertaining side) England get the nod because they are involved in meaningful competitions all year, every year. In the US, you've basically got World Cup qualifying, the World Cup and that's it. In between there's a 1 and a half year break. And no, the Gold Cup doesn't count. If you're looking at the potential thrill involved for playing for either country, the Gold Cup matches playing in mostly empty, cavernous stadiums against teasm such as El Salvador do not compare to Euro Championship qualifiers, much less the European Championship final tournament itself.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If anything the US may benefit by playing in a lesser confederation. The US has the luxury of taking it easy most of the time, concentrating on club football. When it comes to results it doesn't appear that playing in Europe has benefited England's players very much. Recent World Cup results are mixed at best and the US stacks up against England very well in that regard. Whatever "it" may be, England't teams just don't seem to have "it!"

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Joe Cole? Wayne Rooney?

8. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Oh right. Joe Cole, the guy who rarely plays for England's national team and gets even fewer starts. He's solidified their left side woes.

Rooney has shown flashes, but he is too young and too inconsistent to be considered a steady national team player.

I'm not saying that England sucks, remember I'm just saying that their national team does indeed have holes in its lineup.

(Let us not forget that their keeper's name is Calamity)

9. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Back to the subject of Liverpool releasing ZW for the WYC in Nov. I don't believe any Liverpool players went to Turkey to play for England U-21 there, but Kirkland, the GK has previously played for the England team.

It seems likely he would go to the WYC. Anyone know?

10. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    LOL. Can I use this as my sig?

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    , and we have???

12. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Do you think DMB/Convey/Lewis/?? all playing at the same time would have helped plug that hole?

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Only American soccer fans who delude themselves into thinking that DMB/Convey/Lewis are obviously than Joe Cole would think that. They might be better. But, right now you take Joe Cole because he's a proven commodity and a proven rising star.