Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragin bear

ragin bear New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zak Whitbread Watch Thread

That would be a good club to jump to. I like that move for him, because they are a Championship side, but one he will go in and likely start for. They used to be a pretty big club.

2. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Exactly Richard. I like the way Forest are shaping up but I wouldn't mind one more centre-half. Come on Zak, join Billy's Red and White Army. The chicken tikka masala at the Trent Bridge Inn is enough to convince anyone to come to the City Ground.:)

3. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

I believe that Ives mentioned this earlier this evening on Twitter as well.

4. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like a solid move to me.

5. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd love to see this happen, but there's a post over in the Forest thread that says Millwall's asking price is a little too much and the deal is pretty much dead.

6. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I think Forest will stay up again this season. This could be a nice transition move for him, and he could flourish in the Championship. If he does, that will put him in the picture for the national team.

7. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rumor going around a Leeds forum that someone spoke to "one of the best sources possible" during the preseason Ireland trip who said that even after adding Patrick Kisnorbo from Leicester, Leeds have big interest in adding Whitbread for all out push back to the Championship. Can't really see it happening given the fee(/league one rivalry) it would involve so I won't link but I just want to pass it on.

8. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With all the talent Leeds has, I can't understand how they haven't made it back to the CCC.

Regarding money, I'm sure Leeds can come up with it.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All quiet on the Whitbread transfer front.
    Comments from Millwall's manager, Kenny Jackett:

"The position is that Zak is on the list at the moment. We haven't had any bids for him yet and that is a fact," Jackett told the Southwark News.

"We have tried to open things up for him and to see what move might be available. It may work to Millwall's advantage and that we have him until January or all season if a move isn't there.

"If the phone rings before the window shuts on August 31 then we will see, but until then he remains a Millwall player and he will play. Given that it has been over a week since he was put on the transfer list, it has been very quiet.”

http://www.millwall-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=454663

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/...h offer for Millwall's Zak Whitbread accepted

Not sure how I would feel about this move. They are a Championship club; however, they don't have much of a history. I think Steve Zakuani's older brother plays for Peterborough.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, not the best team to go to, but he has to compete against higher competition than League One.

12. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Peterborough would be a great move. They're a team on the rise, they've got Sir Alex's kid at the helm, and he's led them to successive promotions. If they could sign a defender like Whitbread, it would certainly help them stay up this year, and maybe make a run to a higher spot in the near future.

13. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I was going to mention Darren Ferguson, but you beat me to it. Trust me Peterbourough is going to stay up this year. Plus, he would receive excellent coaching.

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

This is a good move.

Hopefully it happens for Zak.

15. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree that Peterborough United would be a great move. They are definitely a club on the rise and their owner Darragh MacAnthony is ambitious and has money to burn. Zak is too good for League 1.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ick....this is literally the last place in the championship Zak should go. Hope he declines the offer.

youll see people snapping up defenders torwards the close of the transfer window. he should wait this one out. West Brom dont have a central defender to pair with Olssen, simply put. Its the reason they got relegated. i wonder why they dont make a move? its perplexing.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your wish has been granted:
    http://www.itv.com/sport/football/n...ws/wages-ruin-whitbread-switch-879166767.html

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

well it definitely looks like there is interest.

Swansea would be a great move. They were only 2 places off playoff position!

20. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC

If Fabian Delph goes for £8-10m I can see it happening. If not I very much doubt we'll spend more than £1m on a defender when we have four already who are probably of a similar standard. I wouldn't say no, but when we already have Naylor, Kisnorbo, Michalik and Marques, its hard to see much being spent on the defence.

If he wanted to star in League One he may as well stay at Millwall rather than risk being on the bench here. I'd say somewhere like Forest would be a good move for him. Big club. Better facilities than Peterborough and a chance to prove himself at a higher level.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jeez, so many drawn out summer transfer soap operas for Americans: Whitbread, Adu, Zizzo, Altidore, etc.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Just an update from Sky Sports regarding Zak.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11735_5474355,00.html

Millwall boss Kenny Jackett has confirmed there has been no fresh interest in Zak Whitbread since Peterborough United pulled out of a deal.

Peterborough had an offer accepted for Whitbread last month, but failed to agree personal terms with the former Liverpool youngster.

Whitbread believes he needs to clinch a transfer to a Championship club in order to boost his prospects of claiming a place in the United States' World Cup squad.

"It's something I've always aspired to," said Whitbread.

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000