Zak Whitbread to Norwich: 5-16-2012 released by Norwich

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Kool Herc, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Zak Whitbread to Rangers...

I had the impression that Leeds were attacking Milwall's defense all wrong as well. To my eye, they kept going to the same well with Beckford and Zak ate it up. Good play on his part and poor planning on theirs.

I didn't get to see the Scunthorpe game either, so I wouldn't want to comment.

Zak needs to move to a more challenging level to learn as does Jermaine.

If Whitbread is less of a player at the moment than Califf or Demerit, it's only due to lack of experience IMO. The U.S. could certianly be making better use of him.

2. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Took me a little while to notice in the summer transfer thread but a good point by FirstStar.

See BS isn't always complete BS :D

3. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh well :( might just be Zak tamping down rumors but not the news I was looking for:

4. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sometimes the club contacts the team first, maybe Rangers was just turned away. Milwall values him and maybe Rangers weren't even in the ballpark.

5. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Original rumor was that all sides had agreed to terms and all that was left was a medical.

6. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

wow, they were off.

7. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't be the 1st time. That said Zak isn't exactly in a position to speak freely. Guess we'll just have to be patient to see where he ends up.

8. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

true that in the article he doesn't categorically deny a move to Rangers as the title of the article suggests. Ancelotti said he had not agreed to tersm with any club and was introduced as Chelsea's manager the next day.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From earlier today:

EDIT: for some reason my hyperlink isn't appearing so ...http://www.millwall-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=449182

10. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which during the silly season often translates to "my cousin's neighbor's barber cuts the hair of the best friend of the nephew of the Manager of the club, and he says...." :p
    Its all fun, but we can't take things too seriously. My philosophy is that if you see a lot of transfer rumors about a player, all you can really deduce is that clubs (not necessarily those listed) are interested in him. Though I do love digging through the layers of transfer gossip speculation BS (and I don't mean Big Soccer). :D

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This article said $2.5 million while the other articles have valued him at £1.3. That converts from pounds to dollars to approximately $2.13 million. So in actuality they weren't off by much. But who knows, something is a little quirky. I suspect something is up. Zak could be playing his cards, Millwall could be too, or Rangers could be. Welcome to the silly season! I'm crossing fingers he heads to Rangers. :D

13. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah I think you gave the writer too much credit even. Prob just read the news stories and said 1.3mx2=2.6, call it ~$2.5m :D

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Well I am hoping he makes a move to bigger club and gets playing time. He is another talented CB that will be able to push Gooch and Boca.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd rather Zak move up the ladder in Britain but I'm not opposed to a move to Genk. By their standards they had a sub-par season finishing 7th (or 8th) but they usual compete year in and year out for a European spot. I'm assuming they will compete in Europe by virtue of the Belgian Cup.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The question isn't whether an EPL club or Rangers would be better than Genk. The question is whether an EPL club or Rangers would want Whitbread.

Zak is obviously overdue for a move up, but EPL might be a little too much. We'll see. I am very interested to see how the market values Whitbread -- I don't know what to expect here.

18. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. I'd actually prefer to see him move to a CCC side thats got a pretty good shot at promotion, I'm afraid if he moves all the way up to EPL or goes to Glasgow he won't see the field. Anyways, he's still young enough for a defender to spend a year or two in the second division and either earn promotion to the EPL or show an EPL team that he's worth taking a shot on. I can't really see any EPL teams playing a young American CB who spent the last several years in the third division.

As for Genk, I don't know much about them but it sounds like he's pretty settled in in England now so I don't see why he'd move to Belgium now where he'd have to learn a new language when he's got a pretty good shot at moving a step closer to the biggest league in the world.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i wouldnt be opposed to a CCCL contender, obvious most likely pick is west brom. They dont have to sell, and theyre not going to. they actually improved with the signing of Menseguez (absolute baller, huge bargain). He combines with a very imposing midfield for that level with Vallerjo (premiership quality), Koren, and Greening (both CCCL quality). Miller will be back from injury and is notorious for laying siege to the league from the last promotion campaign, so they got their 20+ goalscorer. They would have probably survived last year if it wasnt for one hole, and maaan was it ever a hole: centerback. Meite was possibly the worst CCCL centerback ive ever seen. Olssen is worth keeping around he is good. Zuiverloon needs to get back to his earlier season form again. They will lose Robinson but i think they will see that Cech is actually better.

West Broms nearest competition should be Newcastle, QPR, and Ipswich and they look vastly superior to the aforementioned at this point (and hopefully Freddie Sears goes on a tear for Wednesday to sneak into the playoffs :cool:)

20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

''so I don't see why he'd move to Belgium now where he'd have to learn a new language''

Not necesarely, in Genk most people have a good knowledge of the english language

Jared Jeffrey is in the same boat in Bruges (not that far away from Genk), he never had any complaints about not understanding local people

That's why I'd like to see Freddy Adu move to PSV Eindhoven (not that far away from Genk neither), because I don't think that in Lisboa and Monaco people spoke good english

21. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL

I think a CCC move would be fine for Whitbread too, but if the choice was between another season in the third division or playing 1st division ball in Belgium (which is a heavily scouted league), I rather he make the move to Genk. I think he has shown he is too good for the English third division, but anyone who has seen him play knows he needs to get better against quick/pacey technical players. He struggled at times against some of the players at Scunthorpe, imagine some of the talent he'd see in CL action with Rangers or in the EPL? I'm afraid he would get smoked. The CCC or the Belgian league would be a good step up, but not a drastic one, where he can learn to be a better CB.

22. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Millwall say no bids have been received for Zak. Shame he wasn't called into the Gold Cup as well.

http://www.4thegame.com/club/millwall-fc/news/239343/lions_deny_bid_rumours.html

23. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

calm before the storm...

24. arswift

arswift New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasnt called in B/C ...

Giant Douche = Sunil Gulati

and...

Turd Sandwich = Bob Bradley

...Can't do their f--king homework.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or because they did and decided that Clarence Goodson, Michael Parkhurst, Michael Orozco, et al are better.

It's hard to get too up in arms about a guy in League One while he's in the prime of his career. I haven't seen Whitbread play much, so I'll reserve judgment. If he's snapped up by a top club, then I'll raise an eyebrow at USSF. If nobody good is interested in a player of his caliber then it makes his omission from the Gold Cup roster quite understandable.

For now, he's just a third-division centerback with nobody apparently bidding on him. That may change. Until it does, relax.