Zak Whitbread (and Liverpool) to the states

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by USvsIRELAND, Jul 23, 2004.

1. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
    He wouldnt be competing for left back. Whitbread plays 'centre half' for Liverpool. So assuming he ever gets consistent first team action at Liverpool, it would be as a central defender.

I think the only reason he was deployed as a left back in UAE was because our situation at left back was dismal; as opposed to the center of our defense which was adequate with the pairing of Marshall and Cochrane.

2. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay

which is how it is now. we have pope and boca as our CB. then there's Gibbs. after that...well...besides the bubble mlsers, there's also OO and even, possibly, Spector. i think the chances are likely that bruce might try him as a right back, and hopefully forever do away with the albright experiment. ooops...i don't want to hurt anybody's sensitive feelings by saying that.

3. PScott8502

PScott8502 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    50th state
    Right Back? I wouldnt bet on that.

4. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks man, i was losing hope there for a second....

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he plays both LB and central defense for the reserves.

Although he is more likely to replace Henchoz' spot than Riise's...

6. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    did whitbread play against celtic?

7. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

They interviewed him after the game and he sounded as American as baseball and apple pie ;)

Hopefully he gets some minutes in the other friendlies...

8. 1stTimePoster

1stTimePoster New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Sharon, MA
    But he did talk about "us Americans" which I was glad to hear. I was thinking the same thing about the accent though.

9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is what CW put on their website. Not the same squad that Man Utd announced.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Yeh, I wonder how jri feels about a scouse playing for the US?

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'd be the first to admit he is a 'barely Yank'...just like Haertgraves is a 'barely Englishman'..

But the boy was BORN here, so he ranks a bit higher for me (but I know FIFA is different).....In the new world US, we count where YOU were born/grew up/went to school/value system much more then where your Dad came from...

Europeans/Americans just view heritage differently...I'm OK with that. Its irrelevent, the FIFA rules are what they are..

I'm just glad Johnny Spector is a Yank...he's going to be a studdddddddd.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Interesting that you're OK with this but chastise someone with two British parents choosing to play for England. It's not as though Whitbread grew up in the US anyway. But double standards and jri are pretty much synonymous.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Last comment: My point (in previously posts) was he was a barely Englishman (only "technically"). I am claiming the same of Whitbread. That's a consistent position with this current posting. I'd be fine if both were disqualified for playing for England/US respectively. But the Fifa rules are what they are.

BTW- Freddy's first year is playing out exactly as I expected. You were too quick to judge the kid's first season as disappointing. He is right on schedule to start and play in a top European league by 2007/2008, at the ripe age of 18. (Sklllwise, he'll be there sooner).

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The nationality of one's parents is not a technicality. At least, not on this planet.

If by Freddy, you mean Adu, then where have I passed judgment on his first season? Making stuff up again?

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Living in a suitcase?

16. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    What part of....

don't you understand?

Or are you just trying to hijack the thread?

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Help me, I'm dying a slow, painful and needless death. Sincerely, this thread.

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    LOL

Any word if there is a plan to get Zak some time while over here?

19. flash1316

flash1316 Member

Nov 27, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=305466&cc=5901

think that link works about Diouf, but says: Benitez named all his star names, including the six players on Euro 2004 duty, plus five youngsters in the 23-man squad.

They are the French U-21 pair Anthony Le Tallec and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, plus home grown players Paul Harrison - as third choice goalkeeper - defender Zak Whitbread and midfielder Stephen Warnock, who was out on loan last term at Coventry.

You can read into it as much as you want, but I think Benitez brought along the five best youths who he thought would challenge for the first team this year. We already know FSP is a stud, Le Tallec has talent, but may be on his way out, i've heard that the goalie is penciled in as the future if Kirkland doesnt work out, and I've never seen anything about the midfielder Warnock.

I think Riise has locked down the LB spot for Benitez, so I think the spot Whitbread is challenging for is centerback. Question? is Whitbread left-footed only assuming cause he played left for the U-20's and do you think will Benitez play him at an uncomfortable position at right centerback or move Hypia over? And what do you guys think about the signing of Josemi, does that mean Benitez doesn't have faith in Carragher to be able to do the job and/or in Whitbread to break in? Like to hear your thoughts.

And I agree with all who have said it --- Spector is a stud. Looked completly at ease playing in a packed stadium against Bayern Munich, albeit the Bayern team that played that day sucked unbelievably.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I understand it very well - but that doesn't make it a correct statement, particularly as it's a sweeping generalization.

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Hi jri and M - if you guys continue to go at it in this forum, I will be forced to remove your access. Consider this a final warning. Thanks.

22. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    All he said was that european view heritage differently and then attempted to drop it.

I will drop it now.

Can you.