Zahir Hassan to Roda JC?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 4, 2009.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks to another BS poster/reader for passing along -- I'll let him identify himself if he likes.

It seems that a Tennessee player named Zahir Hassan has a chance in Holland:

16-year old Midsouth FC standout, Zahir Hassan has been given a 10-day tryout with Dutch 1st Division side, Roda JC Kerkrade. ​

http://midsouthfc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=233&Itemid=3

This was from mid-April, so the trial may have already taken place.

Looks like he is a 92.

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him! Several young Tennesseans have made the trek across the pond in the past year. One to AEK any the other two elsewhere on the continent. Names and clubs escape me though. It's great to see a nonmainstream state starting to produce some young talent.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvx2Gbco0f8"]YouTube - Three 6 Mafia M.E.M.P.H.I.S.[/ame]

Hopefully he gets a deal!

4. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Kerkrade is an interesting place to be right now. Their first team is likely to get relegated, they are in last place in the Eredivisie. Anyway, it is possible that you won't find Roda JC on the map anymore. They planned a fusion with their neighbors Fortuna Sittard, maybe you have to look for "FC Limburg" next year. Both were respectable Eredivisie sides a few years ago, Roda has a state-of-the-art stadium; but they are economically too small today. Sittard carries a lot of debts, and won't be able to pay that money back in the 2nd division. The boards of both clubs want that fusion, but they also say they need public support to get everything in order and make a new start; the local politicians are not amused, and the fans of both teams don't want to give up their identity anyway. Not yet clear if, how and where this club will still exist in one or two years.