Zagallo x Romario de novo

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Denilson70, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    One for older viewers. Brazil coasting and would win 7-0 x Peru in the 1997 Copa semi and, having played all 3 subs, Romario pulls up injured. Now Zagallo is saying he was not injured. Why would anyone fake an injury to miss a final?

2. astinus4

astinus4 Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He ended up playing though didn't he? Or am I imagning things?

3. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Edmundo played. Punched a Bolivian and Zagallo took him off before he was sent off!

4. astinus4

astinus4 Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sounds like I need to watch that match again!

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Romario did get a pulling muscle or so, and he limped off the game. Was he recovered in time at final? No one knows and he did not play.

Romario was a great player but he got some attitude that no coaches could take. For example, one of the main reason Scolari did not call him at WC02 was that, he claimed being injured/not fit for some trainings (before WC) but later Scolari learned that he was playing Futsal on the beach somewhere and that was IT for the great veteran who could have held up his 2nd WC alongside Ronaldo

6. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    .............and now he is in the Brazilian senate I believe - calling Teixeira to account for WC costs. Am I right?

I could never warm to him - far too arrogant - but he was a genius.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He said he was hurt for Copa America 2001 in Colombia when they had all those kidnapping warnings in the country. Argentina even pulled out from the tournament. Romario didn't want to go to Colombia and play.

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Ouff ...

9. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
  10. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No the true story was that Romario asked to be excused from the Copa'01 to get "eye surgery" only for Scolari to find out he was playing for Vasco in a friendly in Mexico!!

11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I heard also that around the 1st of July 2001 WCQ in Montevideo he got off with an air stewardess and Felipao got wind of it. He never played again until that farewell in Pacaembu x Guatemala.