New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    #126 sidefootsitter, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    When a player drops two-three tiers in quality, then it means he is viewed as someone of that "new" quality. After sufficient time to showcase himself to the Bundesliga scouts, Zack has taken three steps back to MLS. If someone thought he could help them in leagues better than MLS, then they'd pay him commensurately higher. But no one did.

You must have blotted out the 2006 WC. And Donovan's best international performance in 2010 came after his successful loan to Everton. (following a failed loan at Bayern).

And, in any case, Donovan was getting international experience because Bruce thought he had no one better and had to sink - which he did in 2006 - or swim with Donovan. Steffen sits behind Guzan, Howard and, at least, Horvath.

Plus, he still has to beat Clark for #1 in Columbus.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    #127 KickballWizard, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    I am one of those people that would almost always prefer that a player pushes himself against the highest level of competition that he can handle/get playing time. However, it's crazy how much people base a player's value on the league they're in, regardless of which team, style of play, playing time, overall contribution to the team, quality of life, etc...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  4. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This a practical example of what I was trying to explain to @sidefootsitter

Adamantly claiming that the fact that he left Germany "obviously" tells us that not a single club in the 2 Bundesliga thought he was athletic or fundamentally sound, was an exceptionally foolish assumption.

Jazzy Altidore and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, I don't buy the "homesick" stuff as an excuse. There are several directions a career might take - upward, downward or sideways. In this case, it's definitely downward. Far downward.

Btw, at least, Donovan went back to California (even if not South California right away). Steffen is not even from Ohio. How is he less homesick in Columbus?

6. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still missing the point entirely but I'll leave it be.

Jazzy Altidore and Winoman repped this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I read his interview. His excuses are pathetic.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Winoman and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'll admit i never considered the effect of homesickness these guys could possibly have. Makes a lot of sense. Thousands of miles from here. Different language. Different culture (even if its just Germany or England) and you have guys who compete n compete and maybe you have no friends or someone to pick you up after with some words of soothing. So i was brash before. I believe MLS will succeed and its good that him moving back wasnt seen so terrible. But a part of me sticks to the notion that sometimes a move back restricts future European transfer as MLS arent the most beneficial to a player

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A goalkeeper can develop outside of a good league much easier than a field player can. Steffen is now training with Pat Onstad and Steve Clark. Not necessarily a step backwards in his development.

11. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen's been loaned to USL's Pittsburgh Riverhounds and is starting for them.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. lime

lime Member

May 18, 2016
    When a player drops two-three tiers in quality, then it means he is viewed as someone of that "new" quality. After sufficient time to showcase himself to MLS scouts, Zack has taken two steps back to USL. If someone thought he could help them in leagues better than USL, then they'd pay him commensurately higher. But no one did.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    How do you know how much he paid?

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'm curious. have we ever seen this happen before to any other aspiring or promising player and did they bounce back from it

15. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't say it's that simple. If he didn't want to go NASL - likely with young players returning from abroad - MLS has all the rules of who gets to sign him. Looks like Columbus had it and I don't doubt they would have sold the rights off if they didn't think Steffen was a realistic starter down the line.

The highest paid non-starters rn:

Kennedy - $180k (likely signed to compete for starting spot)
    Kronberg - 145
    MacMath - 140 (was starting until Howard)
    Willis - 95
    Gleeson - 90 (not signed as a starter, but is starting)
    Attinella - 90
    Knighton - 86
    Kempin - 83
    Rowe - 80 (starting now)
    McCarthy - 79
    Dykstra - 75
    Hall - 75 (retired)
    RBNY - Meara - 75

Think it's reasonable to guess Steffen signed for somewhere in the 65-100k region. Transfermarket has him a 50 €($55k). Alexander Tambakis (23 year old, Greek-American gk) is signed for 63k with Atlanta and I doubt he's making more than Steffen.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dom Dwyer developed very nicely in Orlando.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

So Columbus signs him and loans him to their affiliate to get playing time.

Would you prefer he sat on the bench in Columbus ?
    Not sure what the problem is here.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  18. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a good time to close this one down. Not much analysis going on

Winoman repped this.
  19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. In Germany, the only playing time he'd be getting would be games for Freiburg II, who aren't even in the fourth-tier Regionalliga anymore.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that's quite sad

does anyone know how good he performed for Freiburg?

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South American players head back home due to homesickness all the time. Do you question the honesty of that complaint?

And do I need to explain to you why ah American who is homesick would feel more "at home" in America rather than Germany?

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SFS is exceptionally emotionally invested in the tautology that developing in Europe is always the right choice for every single player, and he feels this truth is so obvious that nearly any player returning home during his development must be a forced decision due to a lack of ability, not a volitional choice by the player.

23. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    a big risk they're taking right or is Clark no longer a really good keeper?

25. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    http://www.massivereport.com/2016/1...return-to-columbus-crew-sc-but-its-not-likely

This article sheds light on it. Essentially they don't feel like he's worth what his option is, so they're going to let the drafts make there rounds and then offer him a lower bid. But the basic idea is that there's little chance that he doesn't get picked up in one of those drafts. I'd say it's probably a smart year to move on for Clark, there's a lot of cookies that I don't think are good enough, and the crop of young GKs aren't going to move yet I think.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.