New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Totally agree...never was high on Cropper. Makes some pretty Robert Green-esque mistakes at times...

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Freiburg has brought in a couple of new GKs for their top two slots:

Schwolow - 23 years old, came up through Freiburg's youth system but was with Arminia Bielefeld in the 3.Bundesliga this past season. He was a regular starter there, and they won their division.

Klandt - 31 years old, has been starting regularly in the 2.Bundesliga for years.

There's also
    Fuhry - 20 years old, was Freiburg II's starter last season and may continue to get games for them, although he is now at least nominally part of the first team.

Steffen would appear to be a distant fourth, although he may be in line to get plenty of minutes with Freiburg II.

kruck repped this.
  3. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case, he should have stayed in College.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why?

Steffen is 20. GK's if they stay healthy can play to 35 pretty easy.

What is he missing at Maryland he can't go back and get at 35? Frat parties?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crabs.

6. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Turning pro and attending Maryland frat parties don't have to be mutually exclusive. Just ask Freddy!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    619219620109647872 is not a valid tweet id

Tom Collingsworth, Testudo and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game time.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In June?

what - 20 - 25 games? Aug to Nov?

He just went 180 in one week.

Or he can play for my Sunday team too. We play 40 + games a year. And he'll face a lot of shots.

bmbersoccer5, uniteo and ttrevett repped this.
  10. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no a professional soccer player might actually have to compete for minutes. He might as well just say screw it because this might not work out.

11. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good Sunday league team I guess. If Steffen is actually behind all those guys, he would have been better off staying at Maryland (and playing summer ball as they all do). If not, not.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #37 freisland, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Why?

One thing for sure he won't get at Maryland is having to fight for a starting spot with veteran keepers. Might as well get used to that schtick early.

If he continues a pro he will also potentially be "behind" someone. He is a very good college keeper already.

Now he needs to learn to be a very good professional keeper.

13. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Hey guys, don't you know that the American soccer culture isn't about fighting... It's about holding hands, orange slices and Capri Suns. Give our poor kids a break.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not disputing any of that, as those are all positives for player development. But for me, playing time is critical to development and fighting for a position without game time won't lead to significant player development (though no one pays me for my opinions on player development, so there's that). Again, in my view, if Steffen gets a moderate amount of playing time, this move will help him develop. If not, staying in college and playing would be better despite the lack of competition and the lower level of competition.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My question when he made the move was whether a B2 team (more like a B1/B2 yo-yo) was too ambitious. He made a few comments that suggest he went at least partly for the money - which I get. And I don't think Philly would have given him many playing chances right out the gate either. If he can train with Freiburg I and get games for Freiburg II (despite their level 4 status - I thought they promoted last year?? guess not.) it won't hurt him at all and I think he will show well.

I would be surprised if he gets first team B2 games this year, tho.

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    he would probably start for us

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You would know better, and with the way things worked out, it does look like there would have been a good chance, but i think with Mbohli coming over last year, did it look that way in the fall? Steffen already had a good sense of the Philly setup, but maybe he just went for the money.

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. I don't know whether Freiburg is too ambitous or not, but that's my concern. Games with Freiburg II would be a step up when combined with the higher-level training and competion for spaces in terms of his development over another year at college.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    the other thing at his somewhat encouraging is Freiburg was willing to loan Schwolow to a D3 side, so if does outgrow Frei II but is not ready for the B2 (or B1 if they can scamper back up) he's not for sure in a dead end.

But I think this season would be about getting a lot of Freiburg II minutes and learning to be a pro.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this discussion is all so hard to schwolow :p

Tactical Hipster, stonej16 and freisland repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wow. I'm not sure I'D even post that. You win today's interweb!

Hobo repped this.
  22. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    A mixed Freiburg II/U19 team lost 2-1 to Creighton on July 8th. Wonder if Steffen played in that one.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Testudo and Gacm32 repped this.
  24. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Steffen started in Freiburg II's scoreless draw against Saarbrücken in the Regionalliga Sudwest season opener.

[​IMG]

25. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Vorne von links: Eric Lickert, Jonas Bergmann, Pius Dorn, Mohamed Dräger, Kai Eisele, Dennis Klose, Lucas Bundschuh, Zackary Steffen, Marcony Pimentel, Maximilian Faller, Manolo Rodas-Steeg, Hendrik Hofgärtner.

Testudo repped this.