New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That also describes Guzan. His foot skills are appalling.

Red Bull does across their entire organization. RBNY's pass completion percentage this year was like, 60% because they primarily play long balls.

striker repped this.
  2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't think it's fair to rate goalkeepers on their worst mistakes, an errant pass isn't something completely new with Steffen, unfortunately. I wouldn't say he is a terrible distributor but the high praise he got early on wasn't warranted either. It's a growing process, but I think we'd all like to see him have moved past this by now.

Some weird decision making on the other goals but I don't wanna harp on him too match. Expecting a good bounce back for next game.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like other position players, Goalkeepers don’t make great leaps with their foot skills in their mid 20s. They are who they are on that point. Zack’s best case scenario is learning to play within himself and that he will never be an effective ball playing goalkeeper.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TimB4Last repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We should unretire Rimando.

tomásbernal repped this.
  6. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing to me about Steffen and these type of errors is that it is largely decision making mistakes rather than touch. Whether watching him in person, in MLS, or in Germany, he has the ability to play with the ball at his feet (demonstrably better than any of his counterparts when he was in MLS), but he does seem to have mental lapses in decision making at times.

majspike, ChicagoVT and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen started the season off really well but he is not among the best in the league. We shouldn't be expecting that either

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    says who? Most stats included him in top 5 more or less since the season started. Fair enough place to me considering he came from MLS.

9. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays for Duesseldorf

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yes, but he just came from MLS.

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, not even close. He wasn't horrible when not put uder pressure though. Rimando has always been amongst better skilled players on his team. There are others who are better than Steffen as well.

12. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    This thread went from Steffen has a chance to be called back to play for Man City to he sucks and Guzan should play over him within one page. WTH is wrong with you people...LOL. He had a bad game, but he has proven over a longer stretch of games this season that he is a very good Bundesliga keeper and this is while being on a very bad team. Everyone stop being so damn reactionary...

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow Luchi made Gonzalez improve by miles by just having him do rondos with the field players in pre-season and I'm guessing the regular season also. he was pretty bad at distribution but was leading the league in keeper passing at one point (not sure about final numbers). Just think if every coach did this from youth teams on up.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  14. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right it's not like he was playing St. Pauli. Bayern Munich is one of the best teams in the world and not playing good against them is not the end of the world or his career.

Take a step back off that ledge guys.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Every club I've ever coached at has done this - including keepers in all foot skills drills unless there is a shot/save component or it's set-aside keeper training time. At every age. I can sort of understand doing less of this at the pro level, but your point that it should be kept up even at the pro level has merit.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Precisely.

Just hope the pressure doesn't get to him. Guzan battled relegation for several seasons and went from among top keepers in the PL to so hated by his own club fans that they trolled him endlessly.

17. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen had some big saves after going 1 down. Kept Duesseldorf in the game and they grabbed the equalizer to leave with a point

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The guys in the 95er forum blame Zack for the goal and fail to praise him for the saves.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Whoscored

rgli13 repped this.
  21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pretty obviously the Fortuna defense should be set up to prevent long shots, to encourage short shots, and to concede penalties.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Actually, watching Steffen for the last few years, he isn't very good on long shots and phenomenal on penalties. Good for whoscored engine.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.