New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We should be able to beat Curacao and so on and so on to the Final. Did he really need every single game at the GC to qualify?

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I know you're just reporting a fact but I don't see why he would need to if he is going on loan to the Bundesliga for 19/20

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    60% of competitive games in 24 months for teams ranked 21-30.

After the Gold Cup, we'll have 16 of those games. At the end of July, we'll have 10. Steffen, if he plays in 3 knockout games, will have appearances in 5, which only gets him to 50% once the 2017 Gold Cup clears from the calculation.

He'll likely be eligible in the winter window, because I'm assuming he'll play in the Nations League matches.

He doesn't, really. I do think his exclusion last night is interesting because of the sentiment in the post I quoted (that I think was right), and because I feel like Berhalter said something explicit about working towards work permit eligibility.

edcrocker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    MLS favoritism. Horvath should of gotten a game.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Horvath is injured, so...no.

At least know the 23-man squad before you make silly comments like that.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The whole work permit thing is mindboggling. Can't City just make an appeal for him and say "He played in nearly all of the Gold Cup and he's the US no.1 and has been so for almost a year." That should help him to some degree right?

edcrocker repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can and they would have a decent likelihood of success, depending on the mood of the panel that reviews the case. Being one game short would be a factor that could help him get over the finish line.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Shouldn't take that 30th place for granted.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Haven't the appeals process been far more lenient on Yanks than say in the past? Like wasn't Guzan the last one who needed an appeal or maybe he had an EU passport.

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Guzan has a Polish passport.

Appeals can go strangely. If an American player wants to lock down a move, they need to get a work permit automatically.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Guzan did not have a Polish passport when he at least initially tried to move England. He was denied a work permit in January 2008 and was granted one in the summer. I'm not sure when he obtained a Polish passport.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm just going off memory, but I think it has become less automatic. It used to be, esp for the big clubs "If he's good enough to be bought by us, he's good enough for a WP" and that usually worked. It's my sense they got a bit more circumspect as the "ferners taking our jobs" hysteria has glazed many industries... (and was always a concern in football as you're also supposed to be training the lads for national glory.) Put there's a few poster like @placidcasual who will know better than I.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

It's been tightened up.

Why would they give him a work permit on appeal? He's not going to be first choice. That might make a difference.

I really don't get why he has gone there.

Man City also have a problem that they have too many foreign players. One of the reasons why Rob Green was Chelsea's third choice last season. He counted as homegrown.

Muric counts as a homegrown but they are using 2 foreign spots on Bravo and Ederson.

Reduces their squad availability

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ty-are-under-pressure-to-sign-english-players

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is everyone so caught up with the work permit thing? Steffen isn't a Man City player. He's a CFG player. Guardiola literally handpicked Bravo and Ederson, and that's what it looks like when you're a Man City goalkeeper. Steffen is just an asset, and we shouldn't pretend differently.

He doesn't need a work permit. He's going to Germany, and eventually Man City will sell Steffen.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Price and options if you're being sold/loaned and want to stay in Europe/Europe adjacent are better if you are WP eligible.

UnitedBorn and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You must be really a caring soul when you're explaining to kids how Santa doesn't exist. :(

BrianLBI, tomásbernal and superdave repped this.
  17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do people really want Steffen at City though? He's never going to be a Guardiola keeper. It's probably the most unique skillset in all of soccer. I'd rather he go to Dusseldorf, play great, and get a move to a team like Hoffenheim or Leverkusen or any team like that.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It doesn't hurt if he was recalled from loan at the end of next season and gets a few cup matches or a single PL/CL match and then departs for a new club. Having City on his resume helps ALOT if for nothing more than his own ego.

I'd love him on a midtable club though.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If he plays well in Germany he will be the USMNT No. 1. He will then be able to play in England if there is interest. I just don't see the point in jumping through all these hoops to play in England as a GK. It's not like the premier league is the home of all that is great in goalkeeping. Berhalter would be right to worry more about other things when he names his lineups.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I agree getting Zack a WP should not be the prime objective, but the reality is if he were WP eligible he'd have more options in Britain. I wouldn't jump through hoops for it either, but being British WP eligible is worth something to a player.

21. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a loan to Düsseldorf.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm confused, but too lazy to look back through the thread. Wasn't this confirmed days, if not weeks, ago (I'm referring to the loan part you mentioned. Being #1 is new)?

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been reliable reports that the move has been basically done for weeks, but it has not been made official.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it looks like Mr. Manuel "Translate German Headlines on Twitter" Veth hasn't really changed that in any way. (Just kidding, Manuel, I appreciate your work, if you read this.)

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bill Hamid is gonna be pissed. He was suppose to be no.1 at his Danish club and then he showed up.