New Zack City: Steffen at Middlesbrough (olf Manchester City)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Chance, Dec 8, 2014.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Build the wall and make them pay for it!

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more like dont welcome in those that build walls against us.

adi21 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    In the soccer world they are USA and we are Central America. Our talent wants to move there (to become successful, to realize themselves, etc) and some of their retirees don't mind to move here (easy life, locals are friendly, etc), so they can build those walls, not us.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh you neo-liberals and your free flow of labor. So last decade.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Any thoughts from ole Zack on this?

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Manchester City have all but completed the signing of USA goalkeeper Zack Steffen from Columbus Crew according to reports – but the player himself has stopped short of calling it a done deal.

Steffen is said to have been in Manchester to take a medical and sign his contract ahead of a transfer that will cost City an initial £6 million, rising with bonuses.

Speaking to ExtraTime Radio, Steffen confirmed that something is happening, but that there are still details to sort.

“It’s still up in the air,” Steffen revealed. I’m aware of the reports, but nothing is done and there’s still a lot of things to go through.”

The 23-year-old sounded eager to make the move however, speaking of the need to be tested. And battling Ederson for City’s number one role is certainly a test.

Steffen said: “I’m at a level where I need to be pushed. The [U.S.] national team, we found a coach and we’re at a time now where our talented youth need to get pushed and go overseas and feel a little bit uncomfortable. I’m feeling this is my time.”

Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm more of a golden rule, tit-for-tat type than a "neo-liberal"...

I'd really love to see what England would do if MLS all of a sudden banned English players from MLS on the condition that Americans be allowed in without work permits - and I'd love it even more if the owners of MLS actually cared enough about the American players collectively to even consider a stance like this - instead, players are "workers" and cogs as seen by the owners of the system that controls them....MLS owners could give a rats ass if their players were american or martian - and its all to the detriment of the development of the sport in the USA - and, indirectly, the value of MLS. The more valuable american players are on the world market the more valuable mls will become - but I'm not quite sure MLS understands this dynamic fully. If owners saw themselves more as advocates of the american player instead of controllers/profiteers of the american player - all involved would benefit.

8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    This would be the probable reaction from England.

[​IMG]

You do understand that the work permit applies to all non EU (currently) workers right? Doesn't matter whether they are a footballer or Doctor.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    England FA would not care a whit. Seriously. Over the hill or not quite good enough players are going to drive the FA/Brit government to change a labo(u)r policy?

Colo(u)r me skeptical.

10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that. But I do feel that there is a special relationship between the USA-England and that it would create a bit of a stir.

I understand the letter of the current law - but I am questioning its fairness when the USA just welcomes all the english players who want to come regardless of status.....do you not see that there is an unequal balance of power in the USA-UK soccer relationship??

I also think that as MLS continues to improve - it is a decision that would matter more and more. Furthermore, I think MLS would not be impacted at all if there were no English players in the league, either -plenty of other countries they can get talent from.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Right. There is a fairness to the current law. It applies to all non EU players.

The UK government is not going to change their policy to benefit one nationality. As already pointed out, it pertains to all non EU citizens who would like a job in the UK.

What's next, you are going to complain that Americans are held back in Spain because of the 3 non EU player rule?

striker and freisland repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Which England-to-MLS transfers do you think the England FA would care enough about to try to get the entire English government on board a labor(u)r change? Do you have any experience with Brit bureaucracy? Do you really thing Rooney complaining to the FA/Labo(u)r board would be effective quicker than an MLS owner complaining to the MLS that he can bring in Rooney and increase MLS attendance. I mean, I get the impulse, but it is so far-fetched as to be delusional.

The English FA needs MLS exactly not-at-all. The implication of changing a wide-net work permit policy for a single nation's soccer league is huge, complicated and a political land-mine.

The only deal MLS would have 1/2 a chance of cutting would be one where top Brit clubs could convince the FA that the US player pool is so competitive more exceptions should be granted (as was the case a few years ago.) But without the US in the WC (and even with the US in the WC) that is a hard row to hoe.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an extremely dumb conversation.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I would also point out that the UK Government is a little bit busy and in a bit of turmoil at the moment. Probably for a good few years as well.

Might not be high on their priority list

freisland repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Why? What's up with the UK? Are those pesky Picts making trouble above the wall again?

16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Small internal squabble

freisland repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is fair about USA welcoming any English player regardless of status, skill etc (jay simpson????) as long as an MLS club wants to sign that player BUT when an English team wants an American - there are a million hurdles to jump through that do not exist for an englishman that wants to get into MLS?????

am i in bizarro world here??????

why MUST it be easier for english players to play in MLS than for USMNT players to play in the EPL?

what is fair about english players having easy access to working in the USA but Americans not having access to the UK????? what is fair about that?

just b/c english law says so?

it isnt about how UK treats all non-eu---- it is about how uk treats usa vs how usa treats UK.

how is this fair?

IT"S NOT!!!!!

SIDE NOTE: why can Jamaicans work in the UK but Americans cant?

18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no it isn't. it is very relevant to steffen's situation and decision to go to man city and all the complex strings attached to such a move.

19. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It's not relevant because it will never happen

wsmaugham and Placid Casual repped this.
  20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You really don't understand it do you?

USA law allows MLS clubs to employ UK players according to the standards required.
    UK law allows UK clubs to employ USA players according to the standards required.
    There is a difference in the UK between EU players and non EU players.

If you are talking about players, Jamaicans have to have a work permit as well. They are a non- EU country.

All this jumping up and down whining is a bit daft isn't it? If it upsets you that much, call your congressman.

striker, DanielS1085 and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #346 adam tash, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    i get it perfectly ...you are obviously english.

the standards and requirements - the laws themselves are not fair.

merely following an unjust law doesnt make it fair.

i never argued that the laws themselves are not being applied as they are written - but that they are written poorly (unfairly) in such a way to favor UK/UKplayers vs American players. - and that MLS/USSF should agitate the situation accordingly.

22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The UK law is perfectly fair. It is applied to all non-EU players ( this might have been mentioned)

Just because you are throwing your toys out of the pram because it applies to US players doesn't make it unjust.

The UK government is not going to rewrite UK immigration laws to appease USA players and because you are a little mad about it.

MLS allows their teams to have what 7 or 8 non USA or non green card holder players. This is obviously unfair and the restriction should be lifted immediately......

It's a different way of tackling the same issue.

Spain allows 3 non EU players.
    The Netherlands has a minimum salary a player must be earning.

Are you talking about US law or UK law here?

DanielS1085 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #348 freisland, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Seriously?

I mean, I'm all for international free flow of labor in the abstract, but do you really not understand that there are artificial barriers to labor flow by nearly ever country nearly everywhere and have been for eons? You do know Canada has a different work visa standard for Americans than America has for Canada, ditto Russia, China, Chile, etc. etc.

You do know that in the US, non-citizen/legal resident athletes are subject to visa requirements? The Visa non-US pro athletes most commonly need is the P1A ("temporary" 10 year visa that ends when you stop playing/are out of contract)/EB-1 (green card based on "exceptional ability" - NHL all-stars/olympic medalists etc. - similar to the UK soccer "cap requirement.")

While the requirements are not equal to that of the UK, there are similar types of criteria.

You're on a very strange, Quixotic tangent here.

Winoman and DanielS1085 repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these things can be worked out. the EPL adjust how work permits are granted on a rolling basis despite the law not changing...sometimes they are more lenient sometimes more strict ...i've followed it long enough to know that.

in MLS - canadians and americans are both domestic -they have worked around the laws to create a fair situation for players. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are for canadians in the USA and usa in canada - but i'm pretty sure MB90 and Altidore count as domestic despite being on a canadian team...

these laws don't really stop leagues from putting whatever rules they want in place.

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah but theyre arent english players going to play in the mozambique league or the vietnamese league - so i can understand why they dont hae reciprocity.

there are plenty of english players in the USA:

how many of these guys would qualify for a work permit if the USA had the same laws as the UK? Hint: NONE!

thats 16 current english players by this list in MLS -and it seems to be increasing by the year.

all i'm saying is have a reciprocity.

Wearsider repped this.