Zack Steffen Appreciation

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Jun 6, 2018.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding that's a terrible move. I could never root for him playing for that team.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    What did Man City ever do to you?

3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GGMU.

5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Great Googly-Moogly Underwear?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glory, Glory, Man United!

7. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    "I'm a Pepsi drinker, so now that I saw Steffen drinking a can of Coke, he's dead to me!"

8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can’t stand American ManU supporters. It’s like they have to support the first team they heard about outside of America. Kinda like the guy who doesn’t watch football but supports the Patriots or doesn’t watch baseball but supports the Yankees.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He's worth more than 5 million pounds. Maybe when the transfer window opens, they'll be willing to pay more.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    <snicker>

11. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    FYP.

Robbo Crewfan, the_rickler and Kyle Crew repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, blame my brother. He was the first of us to get into Euro football and was obsessed with their history and SAF (and red is his favorite color). So I support them because he did.

He missed their glory days and only started watching them during SAF last season.

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    How much do you think he is worth?

14. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Alphonso Davies is worth $20 million to relative penny pinchers Bayern, then I don't see why Steffen should be worth less that $10 million, or close to it.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    GKs don't bring as much in transfers. Steffen is unproven at a higher level and 10 million seems steep to me.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your favorite striker, Jozy, went for $10 million to Villarreal. I'd like to note:

Villarreal has a population of 50,000

that $10 million was in 2008 money (with inflation, that's nearly $12 million in 2018 dollars)

Jozy left aged 19 with a whopping 40 appearances (37 with NY, 3 with US).

Steffen has 71 appearances with Cbus, and 6 with the US.

Steffen is more proven that Jozy was, is just as young (relatively being a GK), and is going to a team with FAR more money than Villarreal.

And I'm fully aware that GKs get less than field players, thus why $10 million is less than $20 million.

I mean, even Man U paid a $4 million fee for Tim Howard in 2003 ($5.5 million today). Prices has skyrocketed since then.

If the fee being thrown around is £5 million, that is about $6.5 million. Get the fee up a couple million more pounds to, say, £7 million, and that is nearly $9 million. I'd settle for that. I'm sure City, or whoever, can scrap that together.

And just a side note, this would be a terrible move. Other former MLS players on City's books, how are they doing? I'll tell ya' (general you, not you specifically puttputt):

Erick Palmer Brown - loaned out to NAC Breda in Holland. NAC is dead last in the Eredivise, second worst goal difference in the league, second worst goals allowed in the league.

Jack Harrison - On loan at Leeds, getting lots of playing time. Promotion to the Prem is a strong possibility.

Mix Diskerud - A promotional signing for Umbro, but still. He's now on loan with Ulsan Hyandai in South Korea. Nuff said.

What do all three of these guys have in common? None of these guys have actually played for City. They have a combined zero minutes played. Steffen needs to get his shit together and go back to Germany. Much better opportunity to play there.

Robbo Crewfan, hardhead and Tobias C repped this.
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999

Again, you are comparing a field player to a GK. Look through the transfer values for goalies and they are shockingly low. Does Man City have that type of cash laying around? Of course, 10 million is what you find in couch cushions in the executive suite at Etihad Stadium. Steffen won't get a larger transfer fee than most Championship keepers.

I do think this would be a terrible move for him if the rumor is true. Better to play for a lesser team than rot with a giant.

mschofield and Tobias C repped this.
  19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think hes probably worth more than Bristol Citys 4 mil but I'm not quite sure he'll command 10 mil. 7 or 8 mil is believable to me. But with a team like Man City....who knows. Moneys no object so it boils down to how bad they want him.

I agree that he should go back to Germany. Way more opportunity to develop and get the playing time he needs and will want. And he shouldn't go to Bayern or Dortmund either. He should sign with a midtable team where he can really get the chance to kill it. Then move on to something big after that if warranted. I also wouldnt mind him signing for a decent Eredivisie team.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew (or really MLS) shouldn't take less than $10 mil USD for him. If he keeps getting better in MLS, someone will pay that sooner or later.

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    That's steep for an MLS keeper. I'm also not sure how much better he can get in MLS. It's time for him to move on.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    He can certainly get better in MLS.

Sure, $10 mil is steep for an MLS player, only a few have fetched that much. But if some Euro team wants the USMNT starting keeper, it will cost them. Ten mil isn't very much for a starter in a top league. Someone will pay if they think he's good enough for their league.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, it's settle for maybe $8 or $9 million as well. Playing for a team like Leipzig and getting $8 million is better than getting $10 million and watching him rot away at City.

Robbo Crewfan and Tobias C repped this.
  24. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio