---Z--- Tactical Analysis - Seleccao 2016/17

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think now is a good time for me to contribute with an expert tactical article on the Seleccao in the current cycle.

As we know, Portugal bears the mantle of European Champions and is currently in the midst of qualifying for the World Cup. There will also be the Confederations Cup this June, which will present a good opportunity to acclimatize to Russian conditions, experiment with players/tactics, and build team chemistry.

Since I am the most knowledgeable individual on these boards when it comes to tactics and football, I am the appropriate man to write this piece.

Euro 2016 : Tactical Shift Yields Dividends

The Euro 2016 side saw a rigid Portugal side blending experience and youth capture the Henri Delaunay trophy. Anyone who knows anything about football realizes that players dictate tactics.

Thankfully, Santos is almost as smart as me and realizes that. He was correct in realizing that Portugal suddenly found itself with a glut of viable, dynamic options in the midfield. Andre Gomes, Moutinho, Sanches, Mario, Adrien, Danilo, and William. A blend of physicality, technique, tactical superiority and technique that few other sides could match. In response to this, Santos decided to switch to 4-4-2 to play with an extra midfielder and use our wingers, Ronaldo and Nani, in striker roles. After all, both of these players have an eye for goal so it made sense. Santos did away with Portugal's long commitment to the 4-3-3 and built a strategy to help us win. We were a gritty resilient team, and our midfield was aggressive and made it difficult for other teams to play against us.

Post 2016 : New options

If it took Santos some time to settle on his best side in the 2016 tournament, he will likely find it more difficult come 2018. That is why I see the 2017 confederations cup as a perfect opportunity to experiment with new options. In 2016 we were able to get away with it because the format was more forgiving with slow starts, allowing Santos to tinker with the team, qualify in third place, before settling on his XI in the knockout stage.

The likes of Bernardo Silva, Gelson Martins, and Andre Silva will IMO have a big impact on the tactical evolution of the team. They could make Santos wish to switch to a 4-3-3 again. As a result, Nani and Quaresma's influence will probably decline - unless they resist the ravages of time as they continue to age.

Of course, there are many other players out there who could force their way into the lineup but at the moment I see Gelson, Andre Silva, and Bernardo Silva as the most likely to play significant roles come 2018 WC.

I correctly predicted Portugal to prevail at EURO 2016 and was laughed at by many on this forum. Santos won following exactly the same tactics I would have used.

in 2018, if Santos continues to think like me I expect him to run a 4-4-2 against stronger teams with physics midfields (i.e. Germany, Brazil, France) and use a 4-3-3 against teams where we can expect not to be overpowered in the midfield by their physicality (i.e. Spain) or against theoretically weaker opposition (i.e. a shit team like England). This would make Portugal very dynamic and unpredictably, and could see us triumph and win the World Cup.

4-4-2 --> when against tough powerful midfields

---------Ronaldo----Andre Silva (Nani)--------
    ------------------Bernardo Silva--------------
    -------Sanches----------------Adrien (A.Gomes/Mario/Pizzi)---------
    -------------------William-----------------
    -Raphel------Pepe---Fonte---------Cancelo/Cedric---
    ---------------------Patricio-------------------------------

4-3-3 "Can-Opener" (When needing to stretch the wings and score from A. Silva/Ronaldo Headers, or against teams whose midfields we dont need to worry about physically)

-Ronaldo--------A. Silva--------Gelson Martins-------------------

-----------J.Mario-------------Bernardo-----------
    -------------------William------------------
    Raphael-----Pepe----Fonte-----Cedric (top crosser)---
    ---------------------Patricio--------------------

of course some diff options can be used but this is an example.

Obviously ,our Defense will likely be the main problem. I think Pepe and Fonte can still be good, but perhaps it is time for Daniel Carrico to get a look in come 2018 if he continues to perform for Sevilla.

The Darkhorse:

Diogo Jota, IMO a darkhorse to look out for in the coming cycle...

2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #2 Sumol, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Did you hack into Mourinho's laptop and plagiarise this article?

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I bow to your brilliance Jedi Master.

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Is this the zonal marking site?

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes spent his time away perfecting long form bigsoccer posts

6. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    o_O

:ROFLMAO:

:sleep:

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I strongly believe we should approach the confederation cup in similar fashion to the Germans this year. Leave some of our strongest players at home, let them rest over the summer to keep them fresher for the upcoming season and World Cup.

With the u20 world cup this summer along with the u21 championships send down players like Sanches and Gelson Martins to the U21's to try and win that trophy.

In 2018 our team will be so much more capable than that of the Euro's, some of our young players have excelled and we should be playing far more attacking and possession oriented soccer. Let Ronaldo and Pepe rest (unless Pepe does do something dumb like go to China) and take a shot at the world cup..it will be Ronaldos last chance, yet on our best team since 2006 imho.

--------------------------------Patricio----------------------------------
    ----------------Pepe--------------------------Fonte-----------------------
    Cedric/Semedo/Cancelo------------------------------------------Gurreiro
    ----------------------------William Carvalho-----------------------------------
    -----------------Adrien/Sanches-----------------Joao Mario--------------------
    ----------Bernardo Silva------------------------------------C Ronaldo-------------
    --------------------------------Andre Silva---------------------------------------------

That should be our lineup against other top teams, and against weaker opposition place Nani/Gelson Martins up front and take out Adrien/Sanches (both our best box to box midfielders right now with Andre Gomes in poor form for Barcelona and Moutinho continued to struggle with fitness for Monaco)

8. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    He lost me at that comment.

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I lol'd at most of that. The ReZurection doesn't dissapoint.

10. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think 2018 team will be stronger than 2o06 for sure.

Some crucial positions:

Ricardo Patricio
    Costinha /Petit William/Danilo
    Valente Guerreiro

Pretty obvious

and Andre Silva looks promising at a key position...

Portugal has more options now and that is helping us. Players form will fluctuate but when you can pull form a pool of William, Danilo, Sanches, Mario, Gomes, Adrien, Pizzi, Bernardo, Neves, Gelson, soon Geraldes, Guedes, Podence etc things are looking up

Even in 2004/06 I dont think we had depth like this.

11. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I don't watch enough Portuguese football to give a proper analysis so I'm not going to waste my time and other people's time putting something together.

With the team I coach, we record the games and I do have video sessions to show them what we are doing well/need to improve on. Then I create sessions to solve our biggest football problems from the weekend. So not only do I analyse but I try to solve the problems practically.

It's very different to just watching a one off game and giving my two cents. Having said all that, I'm on football forums to mostly read people's opinions of football games.

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Football is really simple for me, I usually spend my time with my other investments.

but I enjoy writing about it....

bottom line I think the next WC is between....Portugal...and BRASIU

13. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I hope you are right!

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    most people dont actually realize that Portuguese football is superior right now (esp for what the resources of the country are vis a vis other soccer powers)

best player: Ronaldo
    best agent: Jorge Mendes
    top coaches like Mourinho, Jardim, etc

European Champions

strong youth teams.

look, a average Portuguese coach like Marco Silva goes to EPL and can beat Liverpool and Man U (LOL). I been saying it for a few years but a game like Tondela vs Chaves is more advanced tactically than Everton vs Leicester in the EPL.

15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #15 Sumol, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    The English press doesn't like to call him Portuguese. He was born in Venezuela so they refer to him as Venezuelan almost all the time even though both his parents are Portuguese and he immigrated to Portugal as an infant.

Ever since we won the euro they have been even more butthurt than before (if that's even possible)

I can't believe how disrespectful they were to Marco Silva once he got announced Hull City manager. He's making them pay.

Ay ca vergonha....

16. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is probably one of Z's top 5 posts (i might frame it in my office later)

JoseEmidio and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When he is on his medication he writes a sensible post once in a while. Don't get your hopes up ;)