Yuri Morales

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by gerby, Jan 26, 2005.

1. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm almost positive that any game whatsoever, be it a scrimmage or an actual game is against NCAA regs. The only game you can play in I believe is inter-squad games.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Yuri updates?

3. BG001

BG001 New Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm starting to get better at reading German & Dutch. I guess I can start working on Danish.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I believe the regular season actually starts on Sunday, so we should have some news soon. Yuri isn't in the team photo on the website, but only because he wasn't on the team when the season started. He does have a player page and is pictured in action in his old Viborg uniform.

Similar story for Jeff Deren (B1913). It doesn't look like the club's website reflects his official signing yet, but he's been a regular in training matches and last week the club's manager told me they really like him and hope to have him. Sounds promising for Jeff -- but I guess we'll know more if/when he plays for the first team in a match that counts.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard all but the Superliga pitches were frozen, good chance this week doesn't happen.

6. Yuri Morales

Yuri Morales New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    the match this sunday is on. it is against a team that was just relegated from the super league last year and they have cleared the field of snow and put some sort of heat blasters on it... we'll see how it is. I bet it's nice and soft and turns into a mud pit by halftime

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff Yuri, good luck this weekend in the slop.

8. Wowbagger

Wowbagger New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Denmark
    Argh, don't do too well against Frem, or my dad will be bummed out, he's from Valby, Denmark (Frems home), and he's still hoping they'll get back to the superliga again. Against any other club I might come by and cheer for you :)
    Anyway, the more YAs in Denmark, the better. It would be nice if, when the US NT win their first world championship, that a few of the champions used to play in Denmark...

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another B1909 Supporter!

10. EROtero

EROtero New Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Yuri...

I'm glad to hear we still have hommies playing abroad and representing. I whish you the best and good luck with your career. Enseñale a Dinamarka de lo que nosotros Boricuas estamos hechos, ya que yo no he tenido la oportunidad de hacerso en el futból.

Suerte...

E. R. Otero

11. Yuri Morales

Yuri Morales New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Finally... my first goal for Ølstykke FC. Sunday we beat a team named Næstved in an important match in the relegation battle. It was a huge victory for us and it moved us 4 points clear of the relegation zone with 3 games remaining. We won 1-4 (away). I came on at halftime and I assisted on the 3rd goal and scored the 4th. There will be a video clip of the goal and assist on our website within the next couple of days. www.olstykke-fodbold.dk

P.S. - I have spoke with Heath Pierce a few times. We live pretty close to each other here. He has been a regular starter since he signed with FC Nordsjælland (FCN) this winter. He has been playing well and hopes to move on after his contract is up this summer.

12. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    great stuff Yuri...as a UMass grad, its very cool to see you and Deren over there doing well....keep it up!

Now I have a Danish club to follow...

13. Dali'

Dali' New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Way to go Yuri!!!!!. Thats great stuff.Your perseverance and sacrifice will pay off.

14. Celt_Quake

Celt_Quake Member

May 18, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Yuri-- your old Samba buds would be proud. The Samba are in an Open Cuo qualifier on the 8th. They are 6-1-1 in the NPSL.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, but in those few minutes of daylight, it's not a bad at all. Copenhagen isn't actually that bad.

Congrats Yuri (since I haven't tossed mine in yet).
    Also, if you're bored, how about a quick post from experience on relative merits of development of the player in US v Euro (at least the bits you've played in. big place). Is playing in Denmark a plus over in the states, it is a wash. We debate this, quite vigorously, all the time. Of course, we have no basis for our arguments (at least I don't. I was going to say we make our judgements on gut reactions, but that would give me a huge advantage on most folks :) ). Actual insight would be welcome.

16. Yuri Morales

Yuri Morales New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Re: The System: US vs. Euro

Are you talking about youth or professional player developement? Obviously European youth developement and Professional Football is far superior to the US. Growing up in Santa Cruz, California... I was a victim of the ODP system. I never made the "District" ODP team. Basically I wasn't even one of the best players in the Central California Coast area in my age group (1981). ODP is just too political. Who your daddy is, which club team you play for, it is really too bad. I also never even played High School soccer until my senior year. The coach at my school was also the History teacher. He said I was "too small". So I sometimes wonder if these experiences made me a better player. Due to my failures I now have a stronger work ethic. I like to think this is the case...

However, I think I am both lucky and a bit more determined than the average American footballer. There were a few players on my club team who, I know for a fact were good enough for at least NCAA soccer, also fell through the cracks of the system. For example in Watsonville, California, there are hundreds maybe thousands of extremely talented Mexican-American players who never even play organized soccer because there is no money, no club system, no support, no opportunities for these players. This is a damn shame.

In Denmark it is the exact opposite. I think it is easier to organize and raise funds for the clubs here because it is a rich country and the population is only 5 million. Every youth player has a club and the opportunity for upward movement... the national teams are always looking for talent and it's the same with the pro clubs. And look at the results of a good system. The Danish National Team is usually in the top 10 in the FIFA rankings (European Champions in 1992). Thomas Graveson, a starter on Real Madrid. Jon Dahl Tomasson, a sub for AC Milan. Jesper Grønkjær, ex-Chelsea now Atletico Madrid starter. And the list goes on. It is amazing that in a country of 5 million they have leagues all the way down to the 10th division or more. Only the top 2 are pro but people are always watching. If you play well, you move up. When the US improve the system, we will compete with Brazil for the best football nation in the world. But how to improve the system? Better coaches, better clubs, more organized, more money... it'll take a while

As for Pro ball. Europe is the place to be. The MLS is just "ok" and the A-League has some good players but it is just not the same. I think all of the US National Team players should be playing in Europe. I think it is a catastrophe that Donovan went back to the MLS. If he was sitting the bench for Leverkusen he should have found a club where he could be a regular starter. I'm sure there would have been plenty of options for him over here. But that is just my opinion. Beasley is a my hero. He's not my favorite player (Thierry Henry is) but he is a perfect example of someone taking a chance and doing his thing. And now he's big time. He is the class of US soccer (along with all of our keepers holding it down in the top leagues).

Well, that was longer than I planned but there is alot to say about this subject... and I could have said alot more.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did you end up with a Russian first name and Hispanic last name? :D

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Thanks, I was thinking about for the professional player, getting from B to A, or A to A+.
    agree on youth The level of play in the youth system is unreal here. don't know that it's nearly as broad, but by teens, the expected skill set is significantly more advanced.

19. Yuri Morales

Yuri Morales New Member

Oct 9, 2004

In Europe... performance, luck, timing, and a good agent.
    In the US... I don't know. I think it is hard to move up in the US Pro system. I haven't heard of many players going from D-3 to A-League to MLS. If you play in a big NCAA program and the right people like you... you're in. Otherwise... it's tough.

And superdave... My Mom is Polish and my Dad is Spanish. Jurek would be my name if I lived in Poland. My parents probably thought that Yuri was a little more Americanized... I guess.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

LOL. Damn- dem's fightin' words around here... :D!

Seriously, thanks for showing up, and good luck to you. Danish chicks rock! :)

21. Yuri Morales

Yuri Morales New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Ok, I guess what I said could be seen as talkin ?#*! about the MLS and A-League. The MLS is a very good league... but against the top leagues abroad it just doesn't compare. I'd say it is closer to the Scandinavian leagues. And the A-League is a good level too but it is a shame the isn't more movement of players between the MLS and A-league. I think it might create a more competitive atmosphere. For example, if you are the top scorer in a 2nd division league in Europe you are almost garaunteed a chance in the 1st division the next season. In the States it's not like that. Maybe even promotion/relegation? I know it wouldn't work at all in the current league setup with the single entity structure and everything and I know the MLS is really still just getting off the ground but it would be something to think about for the future...

I am really glad to see that the MLS attendance is doing quite well though. Much better than the Danish Super League.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With some 60 or more pro teams in Denmark, and a population of something like 5 million, I'd never expect Danish attendance to be impressive.Other than FC Co and Brondby, does any team average over 15,000?

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No, it would also be almost practically impossible, since only 4 Superliga Stadiums have room for more than 15,000 ppl ...

Stadium capacity :

FC Copenhagen... 41,468 (all seats)
    Brøndby............. 29,000 (23,400 seats)
    AGF Aarhus......... 21,000 (all seats)
    OB Odense ........ 15,633 (14,223 seats)
    Esbjerg............. 14,500 (5,285 seats)
    AaB Ålborg......... 14,000 (7,800 seats)
    FC Midtjylland.... 11,500 (7,000 seats)
    FC Nordsjælland.. 10,000 (all seats)
    Viborg............... 9,796 (all seats)
    Randers.............. 8,628 (Being rebuild)
    Herfølge............ 7,500 (3,500 seats)

FC Copenhagen got a 21,800 home average so far this season, Brøndby around 17,000 and AGF seem to have a steady average, just a bit more than 10,000, despite fighting at the bottom of the league the past many seasons... But no other Danish teams gets past the 10,000 average...

FCM is not far from maximum capacity though, with an average 8,800 attending the games this season... It should also be noticed that e.g. Herfølge is a very small village of, I think, around 4,000 ppl, so ofcause they also got the absolute poorest home average in the league (2,100)

The average Superliga attendance is growing steadily, from only 5,727 in 2001/02 to 7,980 last season and at this moment the average is 8,442 with 3 rounds left of the 2004/05 season.. With Herfølge most likely getting relegated, it would not be surprising if the average Superliga attendance grow bigger than 9,000 next season...

Not bad if you compare with countries that have twice the population like e.g the Czech Republic (an average league attendance just around 3,900) or Greece (just around 6,000 average), Belgium (9,715 average), Portugal (10,624 average)... or even much bigger countries like e.g. Romania (6,837 average), Poland (5,500 average), Ukraine (7,199 average) and Russia (around 11,500 average)

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff as always Ceres.