Yura Movsisyan- Spartak

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Real Corona, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't find a thread for this but Yura is quickly becoming one of the best MLS exports ever. He is one of the leading strikers in Russia and just completed a $7.5 million transfer from Kuban to Spartak in Moscow. By comparison that fee is only $2 million less than what Clint Dempsey cost Tottenham. It's interesting that he has found even more success abroad than he found in MLS. One of the best American produced players out there.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    €2.4M (~ $3.1M) annual salary too.

nihon2000 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His pay a RSL must look like peanuts compared to that. Im very impressed by his progress. Out of the non American NT players from MLS his career has to be the best alongside guys like Ryan Nielsen

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His pay a RSL must look like peanuts compared to that. Im very impressed by his progress. Out of the non American NT players from MLS his career has to be the best alongside guys like Ryan Nielsen

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a Yank (to my knowledge) but I am very happy for him and by extension MLS.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Now I bet he wishes he wasn't a permanent resident either.

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the price you pay to live it up in Cali in the offseason.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How big is this transfer? Cheap, average? I dont know anything at all about the RPL. So whats the info on Spartak? Big club? Could he be a starter there?

10. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Comparing transfer values isnt always simple. Demps was a lower than market value because he had one year left and pushed hard for a move. Dont know what Yura's situation was

I would assume for that $$$ Yura will get a good deal of playing time.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahaha. I would say Spartak Moskva is traditionally the biggest, most popular team in Russia. Recently they haven't been doing as well as Zenit or CSKA but are still very good.

EDIT: They have won the Soviet/Russian top league 21 times. They won the RPL 9 times, 3 in a row from 1992 to 1994 and 6 in a row from 1996 to 2001, but none since then.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Appreciate the info. Ive heard of the latter 2 since they seem to be in the CL every season and drawing a Barcelona or Man United.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I don't think t there should be YA threads on Yuri. He is not a Yank and never was. He played in MLS.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He moved with his family to the US at about about age 12. He played high school ball and a year of college ball here. He was on the path to US citizenship, but gave up waiting on the possibility to join the USMNT. He might be a US citizen now, for all we know. His wife had a kid in the US recently, so they may even be based in the US while he plays in Russia.

It's not like his only connection to the US is a few seasons in MLS.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until he gets his citizenship, he's not a YA. But I didn't know he was still based in the US, if he lives here for some time per year it still counts toward citizenship.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

By definition.............not a Yank Abroad. That's the reason there wasn't a thread on him.

[For the same reason we don't have threads on Ibisevic, Funes Mori, etc.]

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I believe Randers signed him 6 month before his contract expired, but could not come to an agreement with MLS over a transfer fee, so they simply let his Real Salt Lake contract expire and got him for free in January 2010... then only a year later Randers sold him to Krasnodar for €2.5 million + apparently a 20-25% sell-on clause, because Randers are talking about all the money they now are going to get, now that he has been sold to Spartak.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is that more than he made at Salt Lake?

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, it's not likely we will know when/if he becomes a citizen because there's not much reason to announce it to the world since he represents Armenia now.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    just think of all the threads we could have on other players who are not US citizens. Hell, if we are going in this direction, I suggest Lionel Messi. I hear he is not a US citizen but he is pretty good.

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A few more rubles, according to my currency conversion chart.

PS. If the guy holds the green card and pays US taxes, he is a YA.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  23. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Lokomotiv, Dinamo, Spartak & CSKA have been the historic big clubs in the Russian League. Zenit started spending big 7/8 years ago and have established themselves now and Anzhi are spending ludicrous money trying to establish themselves.

As for the transfer fee, Russian clubs have been paying some very large fees recently to bring in high profile players from Europe & South America as well as massive wages so $6.5m is a relatively modest fee.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Zenit paid $100M for Hulk and Axel Witsel.

Of course, other RPL deals are a lot shadier. Google for Gökhan Töre.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Internal Russian transfers are shady. It could simply be that Krasnodar's owners owned Spartak a favor. Spartak arent really a wealthy club so this is a fair bit of money. That said I'd consider this a solid sell up and that Yura being one of the leading a scorers in Russia is assured to start.