Yura M to Randers (Yank abroad?) [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
  2. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Yura M to Randers (Yank abroad?)

He at least gets an honorary-YA mention

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I don't think he is a citizen at least thats what the comments section is saying on Ives, but they may just be angry. A lot of them are still saying MLS is inferior to the Danish league. I don't know about the rest of the Danish league but I'd pick Randers any day. More money and a chance to play in the Europa league.

Isn't this is the kid who was picked from a community college?

4. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009

So he's going to be representing armenia or denmark in the future?

5. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

in Fox Soccer Football Phone In he said he wanted to play for the US.. so maibe he could play for us .. but the way bradley is he would rather called Mcbride or Rolfe

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ

Well, him leaving the country isn't going to help gain citizenship.

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he has his green card, it shouldn't effect him too much provided he still spends some time here.

Does he have his green card? Wasn't this whole process supposed to expedited by an asylum claim anyway?

8. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

'Mo money, 'mo money, 'mo money. This kid comes from a poor background, so even if Randers is equal to or marginally better than MLS he'll make more money. And we sometimes forget that pro athletes have very few years to earn money, so yeah, a decent offer from Europe trumps inferior salary from MLS.

Yura attended Pasadena Community College in Pasadena, CA.

9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I'm sure he's making more money in Denmark than he would if he stayed in MLS. Seeing the salaries that MLS gives its players, he has to be making more money with Randers. Soccer America did a good article last year about players leaving MLS for Scandinavian countries. They make a lot more money,better atmosphere etc. Money and atmosphere was one of the main reasons the players left.

10. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would love to see Yura get his citizenship and play for the US in the future. This kid is lethal and I don't think we have seen him reach his potential yet.

11. ZACicker

ZACicker Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I'm sure he'd make at least 100K if not closer to 200K. At the very least, twice what MLS would pay him.

This is from FM 09 but I'm sure its pretty accurate, or at least in the ballpark.

JW $150,800 yearly

Benny $202,800

Parkhurst $150,800

Tracy $249,600

Or to compare. Basically what Zak is making in League One, just under 200K.

13. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's almost 22 and he's been in MLS for 3 years already. That's not that young nor inexperienced for a striker. There are other players that are younger or in his same age range that are better right now or look like better options down the road: Altidore - 19, Adu - 20, Davies - 23, Ibrahim - 17, Shea - 19, Tracy - 22, Cooper - 24.

The US has better options at striker both in the short term and the long term.

14. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Wikipedia, he just turned 22 today; his RSL page says he turns 22 in August.

15. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like Movsisyan too, and I'm always surprised he hasn't been more prolific, because he seems dangerous whenever I see him play. But it's true that there are lots of American strikers who produce more in MLS - Casey, Cooper, Donovan, Jaqua, Findley, to name a few. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him thrive in Denmark and move up a rung or two. Then again, he could also end up bouncing around Europe's lower leagues too.

16. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús

I like Yura too. I liked his story from around when he got drafted, but I too hope that he hasn't reached his potential, because he is nowhere close to being "lethal". He is #5 in shots taken this season, but he's probably #1 in giving fans concussions. His shots are all over the place.

Because of his speed and field awareness, he often gets himself in dangerous positions. But his accuracy is comparabe to a one-eyed pistolero with a cataract.

If he learns to calmly put his shots on frame, he would be an asset to any US team. Let's hope he continues to improve in Denmark.

Best wishes to the guy.

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

The average wages in the Danish league last season was just around $151k a year... so it seems that FM 09 just used the average wage when they were trying to estimate how much Parkhurst and White are getting...

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but if he had stayed in MLS, he'd be making alot more than $60K next year, too.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

I like Movsisyan and could certainly see him having a chance to be in an American striker "Top 4" by the time 2014 rolls around. My suspicion is that US Soccer is well aware of him and whatever his eligibility situation might be, but that's just a guess.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yura moved to California in high school, so he has been in the US for a while. The MLS booklet distributed at each game ("Firstkick" or something like that) lists him as not being from the U.S. I'm not sure if he's a citizen or not. I, personally, do not see Yura ever starting for the USMNT from a talent perspective.

I've watched Yura for 2 seasons. Obviously Jason Kreis thinks that Yura can be special. Yura has definite stengths, such as bulk, strong frame, pace and aggression. He's a hard worker too. However, he has some significant weaknesses. After watching him bury ball after ball into the chests of many keepers, I find that he is frustrating enough that I forget about the potential.

All in all, I think Yura going to Denmark is a win for everyone involved.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Movsisyan to stay with RSL for 2009

22. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quick somebody start a Winter Transfer thread :D

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quoting the original piece on SI/goal.com:

"The deal is for three years, set to begin on Jan. 1, when the 21-year-old's contract with RSL is up at the end of 2009."

25. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From the sounds of him talking, the deal with Randers will go through in January:
    http://www.sltrib.com/Sports/ci_12789230