Yukio Mishima

Discussion in 'Books' started by nicodemus, Jan 29, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yukio Mishima: Author, playwright, poet, essayist, actor, filmmaker, kendo master, bodybuilder, commander of a private army. A guy who ended it all the day he completed his Sea of Fertility tetralogy by taking Japanese military officials hostage and then committing seppuku.

The guy was truly gifted, but also truly insane.

I've been on a big kick of reading his stuff lately, and I'm hoping to read everything that's been translated into English by the end of the year. Anybody else a fan of his work?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He killed himself the day he completed Sea of Fertility? I did not know that.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it was part of his grand scheme. He was planning it well in advance too. I don't know if it was the day he completed The Sea of Fertility, but it was the day he dropped The Decay of the Angel off to his publisher. The first three volumes had already been published by that point, but yes, he committed suicide the day that book hit his publisher's desk. He actually dropped the book off on the way to his clash with the Self Defense Force.

4. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would highly suggest reading this at some point:

[​IMG]

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was a fan of his since HS. I did a paper on him on my senior year, but could not remember the exact topic. Anyway, Hollywood did a movie on his life while adding scenes from his books..... it was a good movie!!! A LOT OF SEX SCENE. :)

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philip Glass did the score to the movie, which is a bonus.

Just started Temple of the Golden Pavilion this morning.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I liked Temple of the Golden Pavilion. I liked the book so much.... that I actually visited the temple in Kyoto 10 years ago. My wife's home town is about an hour from Kyoto(no, I did not meet her on the trip :)). When i met her, I told her that I went to the temple because of the book. She actually bought the book and tried to read it. She did not like it.