You've Reached Your Destination - Transfer Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jan 11, 2018.

1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you might be correct, but do you think Juve has a lot more to offer Can than Liverpool? is it money? what i've seen is that he wanted 70K/wk, double what he was making.

Juve has a VERY old roster, so Can would be one of their younger players at 24. he's not really a goal scorer, so he might be considered the logical (eventual) replacement for Khedira, who is almost 31, but who is a better goal-scorer, except if you factor in that he's been playing in lower leagues.

2. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've no idea what is motivating Can but money is probably a part of it . I think wherever he goes he'll pocket a sizeable signing on fee to go along with a good salary . And by waiting until the summer he'll likely have more than just Juve to choose from . Clubs will flock to a 24 yr old international free agent .

The fact that Lpool have failed to nail him down to a new deal with less than six months left now tells me that unfortunately he's defo gone in the summer.

Btw I'd love to be dead wrong on this one. I'd like Can to stick around.

3. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The player pockets the signing fee, not the club he's leaving? I always thought that it was the agents that drove player movement because they were the one who really profited from their percentage of the signing fee?

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    (I'll make up some numbers) Can's agent says to Juve "you won't have to pay LFC $25 million in transfer fees, pay Emre an added $10mill in salary over the course of the contract and he'll sign". and the agent gets 15% of whatever Can gets......

Juve wins, Can wins, the agent wins -- we lose.

imasyko repped this.
  5. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can wants a release clause included in his contract and our club have resisted his overtures in this area.
    While I admire the stance, this is a deal point that we can 'cave' on if the fee included is 50m and includes some sort of adjustment (50m could be considered cheap in two years) annually.

We have more money than Juve - we should never lose a player in an argument over basic wages and bonuses with anybody except real/barca/the scum/citeh/the chavs.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah, but if Can is playing the game I described there is no way in hell we'd match the salary he can get from Juve. nor should we!!

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    noises from Mignolet .... can't say I'm surprised ,,, still think he'll be gone this month.

Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet considering his future as Loris Karius situation is 'not healthy'
    The Belgian respects Jurgen Klopp's decision to promote Karius but warns the situation 'cannot last too long'

Simon Mignolet, the Liverpool goalkeeper, has admitted that he is considering his future at the club after seeing Loris Karius move ahead of him in the pecking order.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...us-jurgen-klopp-manchester-city-a8161461.html

8. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    If I Was Klopp,I Would Spend a Significant Amount of the Coutinho change on Jan Oblak..Would Strengthen our BackLine as much as VVD Would Do and I have no doubt in my Mind with His Quality He'll be Earning us 10 - 15 Points a Season.

David De Gea,Lloris,Courtouis are Instant Game Changers who come to Mind in the PL..Oblak Would Trump All Three.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    please don't use that word. :)

10. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I've been trying to wrap my head around what our budget is for players in Jan/Summer.

Our latest published accounts, which are though May 2016, have turnover of 301M, expenses at 329M, wage bill 208M.

That doesn't include the new TV deal which will add about 25m for year ending May 2017 or new Main Stand revenues. I'm guessing the Main Stand revenues likely are offset by paying debt on the construction. I would also expect some increase in commercial revenues. So I'd predict turnover for year ending may 2017 to be in the 340M range, with expenses/wages remaining flat.

For year end May 2018, we are adding at least 40M in CL revenues, plus whatever increases in game day and commercial revenues that brings. Likely turnover for year end may 2018 is on the order of 390/400M. Some how we came up with about 200m to spend on new players in the last 6 months. These charges will be amortized over the life of the player contracts but you'd expect that is at least a 50M charge. Wages likely increased a bit.

So long story short, I'm thinking our budget is likely the following:

Coutinho 142M
    Player Sales 50M (Probably more: Sturridge, Migs, Karius, Origi, Clyne, Hendo, Lallana, Milner, CB?)
    Budgeted Money 50M.

Total: 240M.

The spend:

Oblak: 88
    Lemar: 75
    Goretzka: 20 (sign on bonus)

That leaves about 60 M to spend on another forward, CB or Hendo upgrade. Hopefully Can stays.

If we can pull that off, we'd have a squad that should be able to take serious run at the league.

imasyko repped this.
  11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Except why not match Juventus?

If we went after an "equivalent" (soon to be) free agent, we would have to pay that amount? And at least with Can we know exactly what we are buying?

Sure, it would sting a bit. But maybe that pain is just the cost of being pragmatic?

12. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Probably because we had about zero net spend for the last 3 years?

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the talk is the deal we have on the table for him is more than Juve.

At Juve he would likely win the title every year and have the chance to go deep in the CL.

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes that's definitely part of it.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in that scenario we'd be paying him millions more p.a. than the rest of the squad - more than he's worth - and doing so would set a terrible precedent I can't see FSG signing off on. my guess is if we were talking about a Messi you might want to bite that bullet, but not for Can.

16. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve's offer is reported to be 5m euros. That about 4.5m pounds or 86k/wk.

Considering what we are paying others, giving Can 100k - 150k/wk would be in line with his status in the squad.

17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which makes it all very confusing!

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the only other rational explanation - if he is bound and determined to leave - is that his wife/WAG/family (I've no idea what his home status is) want to live in Italy not England. sometimes family pressure is going on behind the scenes and all the other stuff is smokescreen.

who the hell knows .....

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Well, I think the first argument to be lost over wages is actually with PSG....
    ;)

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Italy - Piedmont - or the NorthWest of England ...

indeed....

this was part of the prob with Coutinho too, I reckon -- ditto Suarez...

22. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's quite possible that Can sees Keita coming in and figures he'll play a lot more starter football for Juve than fo rLFC with OXlade here also and Hendo ... and Lallana.... and maybe Lemar....

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is prob my only slightly strong disagreement with Klopp. Play your best goalkeeper, and Mignolet is a bit better than Karius.

What about in the CL latter stages. You gotta play your best shot-stopper against th elieks of Robben and Ronaldo and Neymar and Suarez (forget Messi - he'll score anyway)

24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts on Maddison from Norwich, to whom we're linked? I've never even heard of him...

25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Billy Madison? I mean it's a childish movie like all Adam Sandler flicks, but I wont lie - it has me laughing non-stop. Oh wait....sorry. No idea! :D

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.