Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree, but I'm not convinced he'll play that much this season.

I hope he does, but then I look at the depth chart, and try to figure out who he's playing over. Not Neymar, Cavani, Mbappe. Will Tuchel play him over Draxler, Di Maria, Nkunku? Hopefully, but unlikely. Guedes leaving would help, otherwise he'll also be in front of Weah. I think Weah is a big talent on par with some of our best, whether its Pulisic, McKennie, etc, but if we are talking about a breakout season where he plays regularly, I'd like that to happen but I just don't see it happening. Tuchel would have to say he's going to prioritize Weah's game time over some players who most coaches at big clubs would play over Weah because they probably are currently better.

2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of it hinges on him vs Nkunku. If he jumps Nkunku, he should stay. He'll get minutes in cup games and possibly even some minutes in Ligue 1.

If he's behind Nkunku, I'd want him to go on loan. However, I think Weah may have convinced Tuchel by now.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nkunku is a good player and three years older than Weah. He now has over 50 first team appearances. If PSG thinks he's going to make it at their club, he's probably playing over Weah. I hope I'm wrong though.

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa whoa whoa. Fixed that for you.

As for the Rapids' identity, that Gary Smith-era team anyway had a pretty deserved reputation for being for very physical. But general point taken.

In terms of the player development, I will offer that the Rapids have had notable success building through the draft: Cummings, La Brocca, Brown, Powers, Badji, Sjoberg. Rapids also drafted Peterson, Harvey, and Watts, who are or were journeymen MLSers.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Actually this year PSG is way better than those teams. It's Bayern level team.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I didn’t say Dortmund or Schalke were better than psg. I said it’s rare for Americans to start for elite teams.

butters59 and DHC1 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #208 Clint Eastwood, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    I was skeptical until the 2017 U17 World Cup...…………………

His name surely opened up some doors that may have been unavailable to others. But once you're in that door, you have to prove yourself. Weah has. I'm still a little skeptical about his involvement once the season starts in earnest. Is this like how Julian Green always seemed to be an important player in pre-season for Bayern Munich, but once the season started he was marginalized? I don't think so, but we'll see.

Four, but this is subjective.

To be fair, Schalke w/Weston did finish higher than Dortmund last season in the Bundesliga. 2nd. While it may not be PSG/Dortmund level, its a really big club. They've been in the Champions League semifinals this decade, which is farther than PSG has made it.. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but PSG has never won a major European crown (Champions League or UEFA Cup), while Schalke has. [PSG is very Manchester City like. PSG was a pretty mediocre club until Qatar Sports Investments bought them in 2011. Now we think of them as a "big club" but they have very little history, and most of that pre-2011 was pretty nondescript.]

And Schalke won the UEFA Cup with USMNTers (plural) on the roster :)!!! Come on!!! Everybody should be able to name them. One was a much more important player for Schalke and the USMNT, but the other is now much more famous.

And I'd put Benfica w/Keaton in that same Schalke category. Although they had a dismal Champions League campaign last year, this is a club that fairly routinely does well in European competition at the highest levels. They've made at least the quarterfinals of the Champions League multiple times this decade. And they have history in spades.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Winoman repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thomas Dooley and David Wagner.

What did I win?

Winoman repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pfffffffffttttttttttt...............you're old. You cheated by actually knowing the answer.

Winoman and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Carleton is too young to play, Sandon is too old to win. You, cheaters, always have an excuse.

14. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '00 US-eligible #10 Armando Shashoua, who's only been on the very fringe of England YNTs (a lone U16 camp in 2015), was named one of the top two players of a tournament this week in Germany in which the Spurs academy side faced Freiburg, Schalke, and RB Salzburg, among others.
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/august/youngsters-start-well-in-german-tournament/
    https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2018/august/bronze-for-under-19s-in-germany/

In July, it appears he was with Spurs U21/U23 and started along with his older brother '99 Samuel, also US-eligible:
    https://superhotspur.com/2018/07/30/spurs-under-21s-0-1-ea-guingamp-match-report/

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #217 ChuckMe92, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Patrick167, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards getting into the Bayern 18 well before he'd ever get into the FCD 18 is a good example of the train wreck which is domestic soccer.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fact: Chris Richards has been in the 18 for FCD this season.

I know what you're saying, though.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Looks Emmanuel Sabbi just scored AGAIN for Hobro.
    If I was to call up a U23 squad today, Sabbi would surely be in it.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sebastian Soto played in an official game for Hannover U-19 today. I think that confirms that he signed with them.

Patrick167 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    bballshawn and Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Also went off injured after about 15 minutes with what looked like a hamstring injury. Stream of the game is below. Taitague isn't yet match fit, so he didn't play today.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Richards is hurt so we'll have to hold off on him being in the 18