Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That might be true, but I'm just trying to understand what rule this falls under. Richards was also on the bench during a Cup match, so is it that he can't play in MLS until 2019?

I believe the rule is 1 year after you signed the player. What is keeping Richards from being added to the roster once that one year is up?

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Open Cup is not an MLS competition.

And your guess is as good as ours. It's MLS being MLS.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yeah, trying to decipher MLS rules is an exercise in futility.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #129 Clint Eastwood, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    I've been wondering how Richards is going to come back to FCD as well...…………...

We can say a lot of things about FCD this season, but one part of the team that's worked consistently well throughout the season is the CB pairing of Hedges and Ziegler. Matt Hedges was awesome this past weekend against SKC.

This is gonna be pretty interesting.

1) We can see why Bayern signed this deal. They get first crack at a player like Richards.

2) We can see why Dallas signed this deal. If Richards gets Euro interest, then they'll get paid for him. Unlike Weston McKennie...……………….

3) We can see why Richards signed this deal with Dallas. This opportunity with Bayern can't have gone any better for him.

4) Lots of awesome publicity for the Texans, who have two of their recent alums now training with Bayern. The only way this could have gone better for them is if they'd have gotten compensation for Richards. But that's not FCD's fault. So in 2018, this couldn't have gone better for them.

So the question now becomes what happens to Richards when this loan deal ends. Gotta keep the upward momentum. That's not coming back to FCD to start for their USL team with starts for the first team when Hedges/Ziegler need a break.

As far as the other FCD at Bayern right now: Cappis is training with the first team guys not on the North America trip.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    A player I haven't really been paying attention to, but is actively participating in preseason...................is Luca de la Torre. Now this is a kid on Premier League roster so expectations should be ratcheted up. Fingers crossed.

For instance this past Saturday against Atletico Bilbao, he came off the bench.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Do we think both Hedges and Ziegler are back next year? Are they both under contract for 2019?

I agree that they've been a strong CB pairing and that Hedges was excellent this weekend.

According to the players' association, Ziegler makes 750K, Hedges makes 500K and (poor) Richards 90,000.

So if a team was looking to create cap space next year, Richards is an easy and cheap replacement, assuming you can move Ziegler or Hedges.

The risk, of course, is that Richards will probably only be with Dallas a year or two. But that can be addressed down the road and they have plenty of time to find and groom a replacement for him.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Can you actually sign a player to a contract and then sell him right away?

Matt Hedges should be back. His contract takes him thru 2020. Ziegler just joined, and it seems unlikely that they signed him to only a 1-year deal. He's only 32, so has some years left. Figueroa won't be back.

They can sell Richards and still have Reaves/Cano/maybe Terwege to back up the first team. Heck, they have Colorado's first round pick in the next draft. They can probably get the best CB in the draft with that :) As of right now that would be #2 pick overall.......................

I don't know who the top CB prospects are supposed to be.

[Edit: probably not #2, right? Forgot about Cincinnati coming in. So right now it would be #3.]

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Still, a Supporters' Shield contender with a good academy AND a top three pick in the draft?

That's a chance to add another really good prospect.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is all assuming Dallas wants to give minutes to young Americans. Based on the minutes they've given all the domestic youngsters at their club except for Cannon, I don't see a reason to believe that Richards would play regularly for Dallas next season.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Richards just falls apart or gets exposed at Bayern this season, I don’t see any way he plays for Dallas. If he does well, I bet they buy him and loan him out

11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Unless Dallas demands 3m+ for a still fairly unproven U-19, he's gone. To BM to someone. With Gibbs as his agent and what will be a decent amount of tape with his time at the German U-19 level someone over there will take him if BM doesn't.

Quite frankly Kovac has shown a ton of trust in him. Unless he gets canned before Jan or Richards starts playing terribly they're going to buy him and FCD will make a nice chunk of change on a kid who did little more than play a few months with their DA team.

Expect to see more and more recruitment from non-MLS DA clubs to continue occurring. This is how the pipeline is supposed to work. More MLS teams, more USL clubs, more DA teams, more foreign clubs interested in our kids...more, more, more.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Whatever it might or might not mean to this case, they took less for Zendejas, who'd actually played games for them.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Richards is a significantly better player/prospect than Zendejas.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Perhaps so. And that was also a couple of years ago now. Still, it's not like there's loads of other history to go on in terms of MLS teams selling prospects (as opposed to young players they'd been given substantial minutes to already).

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in this case, the player will have already played in BM's system, so he isn't truly the unknown like a guy who is being sold after only being seen with an MLS team. They can't have the guy performing well in their set-up, yet also lowball him as being an unproven MLSer. Pay up.

16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm anticipating somewhere between 750k-1.25m. Nothing ridiculous, especially not for BM but not chump change either as far as FCD is concerned. It would be a fantastic return on investment too.

Now if only FCD could make another club arrangement like they have with BM in another country then things could really get going. Not every kid is BM good, so if they could make an alliance with a good development team in say Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands, or France then maybe two or three a year could move overseas from DFW rather than just one a season or so.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's it, they better damn well be getting a percentage of a sell-on.

USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  18. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    What's their justification for more? He doesn't have the YNT pedigree just yet. He doesn't have any MLS resume. Hell other than a friendly he hasn't even played a professional game and probably won't before January. I'd love a sell on fee but expecting a bigger fee than that in general seems wishful thinking.

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt that the point of a sell-on? We give something to you for cheap now, and we only get greater return if he ends up being something special. The CR7s of the world dont get sell-ons because they go for ridiculous money.

Seriously, think of what we are saying. Bayern Munich wants a young player badly enough to ask for him. But they should get him for peanuts and ALSO shouldn't be the subject of a sell-on clause.

You ask what is the justification for a sell-on. I will turn that around. If he is so worthless to Bayern Munich, why would they want him in the 1st place?

Winoman repped this.
  20. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I totally misinterpreted you. I thought you meant you weren't happy with the selling figure I named, thus you wanted to tack on a sell on fee. I was pointing out that he really couldn't justify a bigger up front fee at this time. Sorry. Carry on.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you were right the 1st time. I think a sell-on fee should be tacked on. If I have confused you, my mistake most probably ... as I am typing on my phone, on a moving train at the end of a long day while still wet from the rain. Lol But i wouldnt sell him for a million and no sell-on. If he isnt worth the "risk" of a sell-on (which costs them nothing if he turns out to be nothing), I would question why they would want him to begin with. But thats just me. I understand we dont agree, so fair enough. I won't bother the other people in the thread with this debate.

22. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    https://us.as.com/us/2018/04/06/futbol/1523036699_926483.html

George Acosta, who played for the US U-17 World Cup last year, signed with Boca Juniors. Before you guys get excited, just know that Argentinos Juniors is the premier team in player development in Argentina, the team where Miljevic also just signed a professional contract and played his first game in a pre-season game last week.

KUSA77, USSoccerNova, SCSAutism and 3 others repped this.
  23. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Miljevic close to first team minutes? I would assume so because he's playing in preseason but I was just wondering your opinion.

24. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    Last year he was already playing with the Reserves. Right now, Argentinos Juniors' roster is practically all players from their Youth System, so there's a chance he might get some minutes.

25. Chaliaaaj

Chaliaaaj Member

Argentinos Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2018
    One more thing: from what I read, he's made a fantastic scoring duo with a player named Gastón Verón, who also started playing with the first team. Between both of them, in 2016, they scored 22 of the 32 goals the team scored in one of the youth divisions. With the Reserves he played 12 games and scored 2 goals, but he could've been playing as a CAM and not as a Forward.