Youth Yanks Abroad, '97-'00 YOBs: 2018/19 Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 10, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    There’s been criticism here, as well. That was the most handy example. I’m not going to search much further than that. You know it’s there. I think you know that you took part in it.

This is a thread to discuss young Americans playing abroad from the birth years 1997-2000. This player applies to that.

2. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said nothing about what is and is not allowed.

I'm just expressing my opinion that I find your public airing of insecurities and need to re-litigate years-old arguments to be tedious.

Obviously, I am powerless to control what is and is not posted, but I'm free to post my opinion, as you are yours.

LuckofLichaj repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You insinuated it by replying.

Not everything on this website is going to be posting news. This is a website for debate, and that’s going to include disagreements. Yes, I am going to gloat occasionally on this website. I don’t do it all the time, but felt like doing it this time. Anyone who doesn’t like it can feel free to put me on ignore.

Besides, my gloating was taking a really tame shot and I mentioned no names. It was gloating about a young American having more success than some thought as opposed to the other way around. You are entitled to your opinion, but I don’t know why anyone would care, unless they felt like this applied to them. That’s not my problem though. I didn’t even know that anyone would care enough to reply to my initial post, but apparently this is a big issue. Why exactly? I don’t know. I’ll leave it there.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1150057535975677953 is not a valid tweet id

Pl@ymaker, Winoman and don Lamb repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    1150115983974998016 is not a valid tweet id
    ">

Pretty wonderful news. Success here would be a rocket ship to a senior team call up.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '97

1150349144806100994 is not a valid tweet id

Sargent needs more minutes this season.

1150143584848490497 is not a valid tweet id

7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent looks very raw, and he looked decent-at best for those final minutes he had.

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    thought more rusty than raw but we shall see

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I rank Soto ahead of Sargent, but I know thats a crazy viewpoint among US fans.

I like both players, so I'd like to see Sargent develop, as well, because we could use all the good competition at the position that we can get.

I think Sargent would benefit from a loan this season to 2. Bundesliga where he could be playing every week. I don't look at his situation much differently than Richards. He might end up playing a few more minutes this season, has a few more minutes in the first team and has lesser caliber players in front of him, but I don't think Sargent is in line for regular minutes every week.

scholes181818 and largegarlic repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move for Haji. He should be capable of scoring a bucket of goals there. If not, it's likely he won't ever be good enough for the national team.

olephill2 repped this.
  11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    this is an all timer from you

12. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was beginning to wonder about this as well...is Soto actually the better prospect? It's obviously too soon to tell for sure, since Soto hasn't gotten as much of a chance to look less than ready when playing in the Bundesliga or with the senior Nats. But Soto has had a more or less uninterrupted upward trajectory so far, whereas Sargent seems to have plateaued.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see Kyle Scott land for another Premier League side like Newcastle. He played about 1,000 minutes on loan in the Dutch second division last season and had mostly been off the radar due to some injuries while at Chelsea. He's not that young (21), but this move seems to indicate that Newcastle sees potential in him.

There are loads of youth players for big Premier League clubs who go on to become lower league players in England and get picked up by League One and League Two sides. The fact that a Premier League club has picked up Kyle Scott should be taken as an encouraging sign.

SCSAutism, ussoccer97531 and largegarlic repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't even put it down to Sargent plateauing. I think what we have seen from him is a normal development path for a young player. There are only so many Pulisic's that are playing first team football for a very good club in Europe at age 17, and a lot of that is getting the right level of fortune that very few other players get. That could involve passport situations, injuries (to the player or those who play their position), a first team coach's usage of young players, and the availability of games that you can test out a younger academy player.

It also requires the utmost level of ability, which very few players have, so when you combine the ability+fortune aspect of it, there are going to be a lot of players whose development goes a lot like Sargent's without there being any reason for criticism. I think the difference is that Sargent has gotten an undo amount of hype that USSF takes the blame for. I can't remember very many instances where they've preselected an amateur footballer, and put that player directly into the National Team.

What has Sargent done wrong? Nothing I can tell. He's at a team where the first team coach doesn't feel the need to give Sargent minutes every game, and he might not break through immediately. Sargent has shown well in the reserves and well enough in brief first team chances. The issue is that the way USSF elevated him would make it seem like there is something wrong because he's a senior NT player, yet he's a fringe first team player. This is why I never liked this strategy. Let players club performances dictate their senior NT call ups. You run yourself and the player's career into problems when you start hand-selecting academy players for the senior NT.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I didn't like Sargent's club choice when he went to Verder and I still don't like. His and his dad's explanations why he selected this particular instead of BVB, or one of the top Dutch clubs made it obvious that someone did a serious sales job to get him there.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Why are people so down on Sargent? Looked like a good performance against Darmstadt, imo. He's about to enter his first season as a full time member of the first team, and looks to have an opportunity at Bremen heading into the season. I don't see any part of Soto's game that is ahead of Sargent's right now.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. He could've went to one of the top clubs, and been in the same place where he's 4th or 5th option. Werder Bremen doesn't even play Champions League or Europa League, which takes away some games from the first team per season that I think some young players benefit from because the team needs to use more players to account for all of the games.

It's easier to have a smaller squad when you play once a week, and maybe 2-3 Cup games the whole season. It's much harder when you are playing three times in 14 days during the first half of the season, and four times in 14 days the second half of the season.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman and ielag repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I think the coach was trying to make it to the Europa League and would rather rely on veteran players. He gave Sargent mins and he performed. But reality set in and they were in a battle to qualify. He will get more chances and Pizzarro can not go on forever. Plus, he is 19! Very few teenagers come to the BL or EPL, or any league for that matter, and walk into starting. Even fewer forwards. Midfielders, yes. Defenders, goalies, not so much. Don't write him off. Also, the comparison to Soto, Sargent killed it at U17 followed by scoring with U20's, followed by getting a goal with the USMNT. I hope Soto does the same and I hope they both continue to rise.

SCSAutism and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bremen has almost the exact same squad at Sargent's position. The only difference is Kruse left the team and Fullkrug joined, but that doesn't change much about the depth chart. It might add a player who plays more similar to Sargent than Kruse did, if there's any change. I don't think the coach is one of these coaches that is going to have the talented young kid skip the average veterans on the depth chart.

Eggestein was a big prodigy in Germany's youth system with incredible goal totals, and he's still struggling to break in two years ahead of Sargent at trying to break in at the club. I'd be surprised if he plays that much more than last season. He should ask for a loan, but I agree with @butters59 that he shouldn't have signed with Bremen.

21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1151181695833522176 is not a valid tweet id

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure would. C'mon Ajax solve our problems for us!

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    1151514810988847104 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, don Lamb and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    '98

Ajax would be a good place to sign. Real Madrid wouldn't. Maybe these rumors will put some pressure on Freiburg to promote him to the first team.

1151527731240325123 is not a valid tweet id

He's not ready to play at that level, but good that he's attracting interest. Maybe by the end of the season. If not, the following summer window might be another option.

1151527733681369089 is not a valid tweet id

Another goal in preseason for Soto. Gloster also played the second half.

Arantes, Winoman, USSoccerNova and 4 others repped this.